Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

League switching to weekly lineups - what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League switching to weekly lineups - what to expect?

My league is switching to weekly lineups and yes it is kind of strange because it feels like we are going backwards but some of our owners have increasing real world commitments and may have had to quit otherwise.

I figure that weekly lineups means we wont be able to rotate in 3-4 SP off our benches anymore and that makes the league more shallow. On the hitting side I think the impact is not as great since most bench bats were used on Mondays and Thursdays just to fill in for other players having the day off. It will however impact platoon players a lot. I used to like getting the LH platoon guy and benching him on days he faced a LHP.

So we are thinking of reducing our bench of 7 to 3 and adding 1 bat and 3 more pitching spots in the starting lineup. Does that make sense? I honestly dont see the value in having a 7 man bench in a weekly league. Maybe adding the 1 extra hitter is unnecessary?

I'm ready for the annoyances I've read about when your player gets hurt on a tuesday and is out the entire week. Thats going to suck.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    My league is switching to weekly lineups and yes it is kind of strange because it feels like we are going backwards but some of our owners have increasing real world commitments and may have had to quit otherwise.

I figure that weekly lineups means we wont be able to rotate in 3-4 SP off our benches anymore and that makes the league more shallow. On the hitting side I think the impact is not as great since most bench bats were used on Mondays and Thursdays just to fill in for other players having the day off. It will however impact platoon players a lot. I used to like getting the LH platoon guy and benching him on days he faced a LHP.

So we are thinking of reducing our bench of 7 to 3 and adding 1 bat and 3 more pitching spots in the starting lineup. Does that make sense? I honestly dont see the value in having a 7 man bench in a weekly league. Maybe adding the 1 extra hitter is unnecessary?

I'm ready for the annoyances I've read about when your player gets hurt on a tuesday and is out the entire week. Thats going to suck.
    I've done daily and twice weekly, and there is something to be said for weekly. It does allow for those real world obligations you mentioned.

You can't churn pitchers, and middle relievers probably aren't as important. But, I don't know about reducing the bench so much. I play in an AL ultra league with weekly transactions, with a 17-man bench. That takes care of the 'shallowness' issue, while putting more emphasis on the auction and strategic free agent acquisition. I've played in leagues before that didn't use FAAB, where too much was decided by whoever happened to be awake at 4:00 a.m.

FAAB is a good way to go, and a deeper bench will help.

You didn't give us the parameters, but unless your league is already shallow (fewer than 12 teams in an "only" league), you'll have some platoon players on your starting roster anyway.

Comment

What to expect with weekly lineups? More time to relax

Comment

you need to absolutely make sure not to miss a weekly deadline, as you can't just "fix it tomorrow", roster mistakes make much larger impacts. In weekly leagues, buying ABs are critical, as you aren't going to get to make those "in and out" moves. Focus your efforts on hitting, as you'll always be able to pick up pitching.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

thanks for the tips... and yes, more time to relax sounds very nice!

FB - when you talk about buying ABs, do you mean buying players at the auction who consistently play 150+ games per year and avoiding those who are constantly going in and out of the lineup with a series of bumps and bruises?

Lucky - 14 team mixed, standard 23/9 batter/pitcher, 7 man bench, 12 man minors, twice weekly faab. I'm kind of confused about the point of a large bench in a weekly league. Is it just there to stash more players you're speculating on? You do have a point about reducing the bench would mean less strategic free agent moves but on the other hand with a small bench, you might have to toss that speculative faab'd player into your lineup right away instead of monitoring him on the bench first.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            thanks for the tips... and yes, more time to relax sounds very nice!

FB - when you talk about buying ABs, do you mean buying players at the auction who consistently play 150+ games per year and avoiding those who are constantly going in and out of the lineup with a series of bumps and bruises?

Lucky - 14 team mixed, standard 23/9 batter/pitcher, 7 man bench, 12 man minors, twice weekly faab. I'm kind of confused about the point of a large bench in a weekly league. Is it just there to stash more players you're speculating on? You do have a point about reducing the bench would mean less strategic free agent moves but on the other hand with a small bench, you might have to toss that speculative faab'd player into your lineup right away instead of monitoring him on the bench first.
            yep, "reliability" becomes more of a factor, as player's DL moves never seem to match up nicely with your league's roster deadlines
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Weekly is far better than daily imo. I've tried both and the micromanagement that you have to do with the daily leagues sucks all the fun out of the game. I'd much rather use that time talking trades with my leaguemates.

FB is right about wanting reliable players. Stay away from anyone who platoons. I like having a good amount of pitchers on my bench so I can swap out based on matchups and 2-start weeks.
              I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                you need to absolutely make sure not to miss a weekly deadline, as you can't just "fix it tomorrow", roster mistakes make much larger impacts. In weekly leagues, buying ABs are critical, as you aren't going to get to make those "in and out" moves. Focus your efforts on hitting, as you'll always be able to pick up pitching.
                Good advise here re: counting stats.

Also, I have an alarm on my phone set for Sundays at 6pm to make sure I have my lineup in.

Comment

I love weekly lineups. Of my two main leagues, my Irish one is moving to daily transactions which sucks. I'm the commish but a large majority of the league wanted the move. So, democracy wins the day.

As was previously mentioned, on the hitting side ABs are key. Being in the lineup day in, day out is crucial so on draft day you should consider "health" to be a skill just like power and speed. Alongside that, there's something to be said for having two top catchers as the benefit is even more in this format when you can't swap crappy ones in and out every day.

On the pitching side, in weekly leagues I like to have a stud pitcher, two closers, two ace MRs (which will change during the season) and then use the other slots for the best FA pickups / 2-start guys week to week. I'd set that alarm a bit earlier (say, Friday evening/Sat morning) so you can be first on the draw when the two-start pitching calendar becomes clear for the following week.

And lastly, I think you're right in wanting to reduce that bench: a) there is less activity on the wire as you don't get the churn of one-and-done bat/MR guys who you drop into your lineup for a single game; b) if an owner is picking up a 2-start guy you want him to have to make a tough call. I'd say a 3-man bench and a single DL slot would suit fine.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X