Good news for Nathan Owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news for Nathan Owners...

Looks like he's on track...nice pickup for those who took a low priced flyer and stashed him. That means you, DQ.

FORT MYERS, FLA. - Twins closer Joe Nathan will arrive at spring training Tuesday with even more confidence that his recovery from Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery last year has gone well.

The righthander took the mound Sunday at Lindsey Nelson Stadium at the University of Tennessee for his final bullpen session before camp and was surprised by what he learned from it.

"They didn't tell me before or during, it came after," Nathan said over the telephone from Knoxville. "They said they had a gun on me and I was like, 'Really?' "

According to the radar gun, Nathan threw 88 to 89 miles per hour consistently, hitting 91 three times. It's not clear if the radar gun the Volunteers use is the same as the one used in the majors, but even if it's off 2 to 3 mph, it still isn't far off from how fast Nathan has thrown in the past.

In his first spring training with the Twins in 2004, Nathan was clocked at 87 to 91 mph during a late March spring game. Nathan checked with the San Francisco Giants, his former club, and was told that his velocity always was down during spring training but picked up in April.

So he likes the progression he's on.

"That's very promising," said Nathan, who threw 45 to 50 pitches Sunday. "It at least gave me peace of mind that I'm at or above where I am velocity-wise at this time of the year.

"It's nice to know I can come back and feel like this spring shouldn't be that much different."

Nathan, 36, had his surgery last March 26 and recently said he has suffered no setbacks over his 11-month rehab. The four-time All-Star's first spring bullpen session is scheduled for Friday.
    Follow the StarTribune for the news, photos and videos from the Twin Cities and beyond.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I still expect Capps and Nathan to share closing duties until the weather warms up. But Nathan looks to be on track for full-time duty eventually. This also helps the Twins showcase Capps for a trade deadline deal.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Looks like he's on track...nice pickup for those who took a low priced flyer and stashed him. That means you, DQ.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/116136799.html
      I appreciate the shout out, but considering my luck, I won't figure this for a strike but rather, "Mark it 8, Dude".
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

I am more convinced than ever that Nathan will not be the full time closer until June at least. He is nowhere near ready to close and if he gets some chances it will be part time for a while. Grab Capps cheap.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I went to the Twins-Phils game yesterday, and Nathan didn't look close to ready. I know this was his 5th or 6th appearance, but the Phils lineup was made up of minor leaguers and he just got tattooed. Every ball was hit hard, and Delwyn Young blasted an 88 mph fastball off the right field pole that would've traveled a good 50 feet further.

I don't feel confident he's remotely ready to start closing yet. My guess is he and Capps alternate and that Nathan doesn't regain the job fully for at least the first half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I went to the Twins-Phils game yesterday, and Nathan didn't look close to ready. I know this was his 5th or 6th appearance, but the Phils lineup was made up of minor leaguers and he just got tattooed. Every ball was hit hard, and Delwyn Young blasted an 88 mph fastball off the right field pole that would've traveled a good 50 feet further.

I don't feel confident he's remotely ready to start closing yet. My guess is he and Capps alternate and that Nathan doesn't regain the job fully for at least the first half of the season.
            :bump:

:jackson:

Comment

:bump:

:jackson:
              He, as well as the entire Twins BP looks horrible!
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                He, as well as the entire Twins BP looks horrible!
                I can't believe they blew the game for Pavano after he held tough like that. Unreal.

Comment

I can't believe they blew the game for Pavano after he held tough like that. Unreal.
                  That is what the Twins have been like all year long. Poor defense and a bullpen that can't get outs. It looks like it's going to be a long summer. Hopefully, if the Twins see they have no chance in contending, they'll start the fire sale.
                  "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                  - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                  - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Good news for Nathan owners--he went on the DL today.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

So what's the deal with Nathan? I see that he's throwing a rehab assignment so he seems to be close to coming back. I guess that's a good sign. I'm mostly wondering if you folks think about his value for next year. He has an option remaining on his contract but will the Twins really pick that up; worth $12.5M? Doesn't seem likely at this point. I'm asking because I've been offered him in a dump deal for next year. He's not the main piece but if he's closing next year it would be a good deal for me. Thoughts?
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                      X