2K11: Justin Morneau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Justin Morneau

How is everyone feeling about drafting Justin Morneau among the elite 1Bs? After that bad concussion he suffered in 2010 causing him to miss the entire second half, can you confidently draft him among the elite?

Prior to the head injury, Morneau was on his way to a career year. He smashed 17 HRs in the first half with a .344 BA (xBA says .314 on account of the 39% hit rate) and he was creating nearly 9.00 RC/G.

Nine runs per game is absurdly elite and with a very good, stabile EYE (.80) and power growth, this is definitely an elite profile.

It's just the concussion. Those can be mighty tricky and although Morneau was managed very well despite the Twins being in contention, you still should take a few points off the draft position because of the nature of the injury.

Assuming health:

575 ABs
    .295 BA
    35 HRs
    115 RBI
    95 Runs
    1 SB

The risk remains though for 2011.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

The problem isn't Morneau returning from this injury so much. the problem as I see it is the chance of a recurrence. Each concussion makes the next one more likely (and potentially worse) right?

I don't like the risk on this one, and I usually embrace the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
      The problem isn't Morneau returning from this injury so much. the problem as I see it is the chance of a recurrence. Each concussion makes the next one more likely (and potentially worse) right?

I don't like the risk on this one, and I usually embrace the risk.
      Yeah that is better stated than my phrasing and I love the profile, but I really don't like head injuries. Look at Jason Bay. He was a top OF option going into 2010. Underwhelming performance and a concussion and now he's not on anyone's radar.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

The guy is a great hitter in a very solid lineup.

However, I see a number of minuses here: health (the concussion problem and don't forget he missed the last month or so of 2009), there is some minor friction with him and the club, and he has been outspoken about his dislike as a hitter for the new park.

There will undoubtedly be large variances in his draft/price in different leagues. Let me put it this way I could see him being the MVP again in 2011 or it could be another injury plagued season that kills a fantasy team. Yeah I'm on the fence abit lol.
        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Between Target Field and his head issues I'll pass in favor of Gonzalez, Howard, and Prince a little earlier. I'm looking strong at 2B and OF at Morneau prices.

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
            The guy is a great hitter in a very solid lineup.

However, I see a number of minuses here: health (the concussion problem and don't forget he missed the last month or so of 2009), there is some minor friction with him and the club, and he has been outspoken about his dislike as a hitter for the new park.

There will undoubtedly be large variances in his draft/price in different leagues. Let me put it this way I could see him being the MVP again in 2011 or it could be another injury plagued season that kills a fantasy team. Yeah I'm on the fence abit lol.
            I actually don't recall any friction between the club and Morneau...they were always on the same page in regards to his treatment. Both sides listened to the proper authorities on the concussion, and actually erred on the side of caution rather than trying to rush Morneau back. That being said, he hates the park as a hitter, as do all of the other power hitters. They made some small adjustments this season, removing the pine trees in the outfield and putting in a better batters eye. But until they pull in the fences, they'll have some very unhappy hitters.

I honestly don't know what to expect out of Morneau this season, nor does the club. They just hope that he doesn't go the Corey Koskie route and never overcome the concussions. What people need to remember is that he's got a pretty extensive history of head injuries, going back to playing hockey as a kid...so there's no telling how long it'll take, or how complete the recovery will be.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hornsby,

The way I understood it from listening to MLBRadio on XM is that the club did not want him attending their Fan fFest this year because he has been very outspoken about his feelings for Target Field. The club line for him not attending their Fan Fest, was he was in preperation for the upcoming season and coming back from the concussion issues.
              Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
                Hornsby,

The way I understood it from listening to MLBRadio on XM is that the club did not want him attending their Fan fFest this year because he has been very outspoken about his feelings for Target Field. The club line for him not attending their Fan Fest, was he was in preperation for the upcoming season and coming back from the concussion issues.
                Fair enough, although I have no idea why the club would care at this point...the fans love the place, and most of the hitters made it known last year that they don't like it. I suspect that in the next year or two they'll do something like Detroit did and move the fences in about 10 feet in the power alleys. That should make enough of a difference to make just about everyone happy.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

just 1 HR and 11 RBI thus far...........
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    just 1 HR and 11 RBI thus far...........
                    Thanks for getting him started...triple short of a cycle today.

Comment

Working...
                    X