Fantasy Football pre-draft thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Football pre-draft thoughts

Here are some observations from the cheap seats.

QB- with 5 tier 1 QBs and 2 or 3 tier 2's, the QB position looks very deep. While we all love to find the hidden gems, save those gems to be your QB2 or even QB3. No need to get cute at this position.

RB- The RB position looks deep as well but, the depth lies in the third tier. While there are 5 tier 1 RBs and 3 or 4 tier 2's, there are like 12 or so tier 3's. Good upside backs you should be able to wait on include Blount, Fred Jackson, Moreno, Grant and Turner. These RBs should be going anywhere from RB15-25 in your leagues.

WR- This is the most shallow group of reliable studs that I can remember. The droppoff after 15 or so is fairly significant while the dropoff after 25 or so is like a cliff. There are very few reliable WR2s going into the year with quite a few unknowns penciled into their team's WR2 spot. I would strongly consider drafting WRs in rounds 2 and 3 this year.

TE- While the tier 1's arent deep, there are a bunch of tier 2 and 3's and a lot of kids with upside. If you want Gates Clark Davis or Witten, youll need to reach but you should be fine with Graham, Celek, Pettigrew or Finley.

Rising-
    RB Felix Jones Mark Ingram Beanie Wells
    WR D Jones J Simpson Braylan Edwards Pierre Garcon Steve Breaston

Falling-
    RB R Matthews C Johnson M Forte
    WR M Colston B Marshall M Crabtree
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I'm keeping both Eli and Freeman at QB in my league as they're both cheap and usable. I will probably go crazy figuring out which one to start each week, but the premium QBs are already gone.

I'm dreading keeping Chris Johnson, but at $40/$260, I really don't have much of a choice. I agree with you at WR and it worries me because I'm not keeping any as my only choices are a $48 Nicks or a $11 Floyd. Instead, I'm keeping a $29 Gates at TE.

Comment

QB- agreed, the position is deep (anyone after the late-ish teens in ranking is trouble but most in the top 17 or so can be productive).

RB- I'd hate to be drafting in the top 3-4 of any draft since those at the top kinda scare me a bit this year (AP, CJ, JC, AF). But as mentioned, if things fall right, you can get decent value from those RB3 spots. A quick scan of the top 30 RB's and quite a few in the top 30 have question marks, more so than I can remember.

WR- a thin top tier to be sure and ya, grabbing an Andre Johnson might be a wise move in round one (depending on where you draft) but the top 30 looks like a solid bunch, I'd try and grab as many in that range as possible before reaching into the landmines.

TE- a fair amount of depth (after the top 5- Gates, Witten, Finley, Davis, Clark). I'll wait on this position this year and let other grab Gates or Finley.

Comment

I've got the 8 pick in a 12-team redraft on Sunday. I was originally thinking of going RB/RB, but now I'm almost thinking of mixing in a top WR during the first two rounds. Thoughts?
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
          I've got the 8 pick in a 12-team redraft on Sunday. I was originally thinking of going RB/RB, but now I'm almost thinking of mixing in a top WR during the first two rounds. Thoughts?
          I am looking at going RB/WR/WR myself. At 8 youre looking at either McFadden or McCoy. At 17 Mike Wallace or Vincent Jackson and at 32 Mike Williams or Lloyd. I will say that an RB in Round 3 might be just as good with guys like Turner or Felix Jones available.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

TE- While the tier 1's arent deep, there are a bunch of tier 2 and 3's and a lot of kids with upside. If you want Gates Clark Davis or Witten, youll need to reach but you should be fine with Graham, Celek, Pettigrew or Finley.
            I agree with this, and will add that I think elite TEs matter much more in PPR than in non-PPR. I see no need to take a TE early in non-PPR unless he's obviously the best value available.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
            X