2K11: KC Chiefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: KC Chiefs

Here is a quick read on the home team. Last season I was predicting 8-8, 3rd place in the West.

The Chiefs drafted well again, but there are also making substantial changes. Gone is 10 year OG staple Brian Waters. Gone is The OC. Gone are one time starters Rudy Niswanger and Chris Chambers. That is just the offense. On defense starting OLB Mike Vrable, starting NT Ron Edwards and starting DE Shaun Smith depart. In their place are a lot rookies and 2nd year players.

There are big changes are on the OL. Waters, one of the best LGs of the last decade, is gone. Ryan Lilja takes over at LG, from Waters, while 2010 draftee Jon Asamoah replaces him. Casey Weigmann, C, 38, is still starting, but Rodney Hudson was drafted in the 2nd round to repplace him. Rookie WR Jonathon Baldwin officially replaces Chambers, but the position was essentially vacant most of last year. RB Le'Ron McClain was signed, which gives the Chiefs a big option, to go with Thomas Jones technique and Jamaal Charles speed.

On defense, Tyson Jackson is fully healthy again. This may be his "prove it" year. The draft brought Allen Bailey, who will have to learn to play odd front, but has a ton of physical tools. NT is all new. Veteran Kelley Gregg was signed to start, backed up by another rookie, Jerrell Powe. LB is going to be a horse race. Vrable retired, and his spot is currently held by Andy Studebaker. 2009 UDFA Cory Greenwood, redshirt rookie Cameron Sheffield and true rookies Justin Houston and Gabe Miller are serious candidates for starting time. Also in the mix is an ILB slot next to Derrick Johnson. 2010 starter Jovan Belcher is the fastest man on the defense (which says something about our CBs), but lacks bulk to thump the run. All the above might slide inside, as well as FA Brandon Siler. Johnson and Tamba Hali are set, but even they need time off. As many as four new players may make the 6 man rotation. The secondary, which started 3 rookies in 2010, counting nickel corner Gilbert Arenas, is back intact. Only CB/S Jalil Brown is added to the mix, although WR Quentin Lawrence has had a lot of snaps in coverage. This could be an interesting sidelight.

In 2009 the team projected to win five games, but won three. in 2010, the team was projected to win 9 games and won 10. While the improvement in the standings was 7 games, the real improvement was more like 4 games. They could easily improve that much again, and only match the 2010 record. The reason is the schedule. In 2010 the Chiefs swept one of the worst divisions in recent history: The NFC West. This year they get the NFC North. They also get Pittsburgh instead of Buffalo and Indy instead of Jacksonville.

My prediction: 9-7, 2nd place in the West.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

8 wins is realistic. Tougher sked and changes as mentioned above kinda cap the win total but still enough pieces to be solid across the board.

Comment

so apparently 1st round pick Jonathan Baldwin got his ass kicked by Thomas Jones in the locker room and broke his wrist. Since Jones is a no-nonsense, work your ass off type, Baldwin must have really pissed him off!!

Comment

There are conflicting reports about how it went. TJ is an in your face kind of guy, and he may have gone veteran on the rookie. Certainly Baldwin has been a bit deaf and lax in camp, which was not unexpected. The full story will probably be buried.

In any event, the injury is to a thumb.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Will we see any sort of fantasy contribution from Baldwin this year?
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
          X