• Show
Clear All

• Oscars

The following movies were nominated for best picture

Best Picture
    “Black Swan” Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
    “The Fighter” David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
    “Inception” Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
    “The Kids Are All Right” Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
    “The King's Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
    “127 Hours” Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
    “The Social Network” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
    “Toy Story 3” Darla K. Anderson, Producer
    “True Grit” Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
    “Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers

How many have you seen? and rank three of them
    1 - Kings Speech
    2 - True Grit
    2a - The Fighter
    4 - Inception
    5 - Social Network

i've seen 6, all but Winter's Bone, 127 Hours (which I will remedy this week), Toy Story 3 and The Kids Are All Right. I think it's a week field. Some good movies, but nothing particularly exception other than Inception, which I thought was exceptional as a concept and viewing experience. I actually enjoyed The Town more than the other 9 on this list (that I saw). Everything else is like 2a-2i for me.

1) Inception
    2) The Social Network.
    3) The King's Speach
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Nominating ten pictures is a joke. I get it from a marketing perspective, but it really cheapens a nomination.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

1- social network
        2- inception
        3- toy story 3
        997- the kids are all right

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
          Nominating ten pictures is a joke. I get it from a marketing perspective, but it really cheapens a nomination.
          So? This makes winning the Oscar that much better then no?

Comment

Originally posted by Boone View Post
            1- social network
            2- inception
            3- toy story 3
            997- the kids are all right
            Did you see "Kids are all Right"?

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
              So? This makes winning the Oscar that much better then no?
              Why not nominate 100? I'm just saying it's nothing more than a marketing ploy (although admittedly, so are the Oscars in general) and getting a nomination doesn't mean as much with so many nominees. So I see what they are doing by allowing more movies to advertise as "Oscar Nominee for Best Picture" but at some point it gets like one of those emails telling you that you've been nominated to some bogus organization.

To me, it's like where they give out a participation ribbon to every kid in the third grade who ran in the race. Ten nominees cheapens the prestige of getting the nomination, imo.
              “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I've seen six of the 10 and will attempt to watch the rest prior to the Oscars.

I know I said that The King's Speech should win for Best Picture in the Exceelent Movies thread, but that was before realizing that Inception had been nominated. So that changes things.

1. Inception: In my opinion, this is what a Best Picture looks like. An epic story. It is also highly entertaining and the techniques used by Christopher Nolan were terrific.

2. The King's Speech: Some of the staged shots were striking in their beauty. The colors in this film were so vivid it made London look cheery.

3. The Social Network: Enjoyed it so much I saw twice. Probably the most re-watchable movie on this list, but not Best Picture.

4. True Grit

5. Toy Story 3

6. The Fighter
                Last edited by JudeBaldo; 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

So what if having 10 nominees makes winning it more prestigious. Since the goal is inevitably to win right?

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                  Why not nominate 100? I'm just saying it's nothing more than a marketing ploy (although admittedly, so are the Oscars in general) and getting a nomination doesn't mean as much with so many nominees. So I see what they are doing by allowing more movies to advertise as "Oscar Nominee for Best Picture" but at some point it gets like one of those emails telling you that you've been nominated to some bogus organization.

To me, it's like where they give out a participation ribbon to every kid in the third grade who ran in the race. Ten nominees cheapens the prestige of getting the nomination, imo.

Comment

the goal was to be able to recognize some movies that normally wouldn't be nominated because of content, audience, or size. I guess they could have created some other categories, Best Animation, Best Comedy, etc, but instead they went with 10 nominations.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      Did you see "Kids are all Right"?
                      Yup. God I hated that movie. I'd have walked out, except I was in my living room and it was raining.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone View Post
                        Yup. God I hated that movie. I'd have walked out, except I was in my living room and it was raining.
                        excellent comment - then

I had the same feeling while seeing Magnolia (and also Blue Velvet in previews before the general release)

Comment

“Black Swan” - Liked it but even after I had a copy of it I had a few false starts where I wasn't really in the mood to watch it.

“The Fighter” - Loved it. Better than expected actually.

“Inception” - Bored the hell out of me. I really wanted to see it thanks to the trailers but the movie put me to sleep three times.

“The Kids Are All Right” - I haven't seen this one but want to.

“The King's Speech” - I heard good things about this but expected to be bored by a movie about a Royal's speech impediment and the man who helped him with it. But ended up seeing it instead of 127 hours (timing issue then, but 127 hours was great) and loved it. A great movie.

“127 Hours” - Great. I've loved Franco since Freaks and Geeks, this may be his best movie.

“The Social Network” - A great movie, which isn't really about facebook, if you haven't seen it for that reason.. Facebook is just the thing that drives the characters. You won't spend an hour watching people friend each other anyway.

“Toy Story 3” - The best of the three and I loved them all.

“True Grit” - The first movie to get my father in a movie theatre is a decade at least. I love westerns and this is a very good one.

“Winter's Bone" - great performances, I really enjoyed it, though the story idea wasn't the greatest.

How many have you seen? and rank three of them

1. The Fighter
                          2. 127 Hours
                          3. Toy Story 3

Honestly, on another day the order could be completely different. They are very close together for me with the exception of Inception, Black Swan and Winter's Bone.
                          Last edited by BigJonEmpire; 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I've seen all 10. Here's how I'd rank them, and I'll do tiers to indicate big drop-offs. I'm sure most would just dismiss the list outright given my dislike of Inception, but that's fine.

Pretty unreal that with 10 nominations they still left Blue Valentine off the list.

Black Swan
                            The Social Network
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Toy Story 3
                            The Fighter
                            The King's Speech
                            127 Hours
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            True Grit
                            Winter's Bone
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Inception
                            The Kids Are Alright
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I don't get to the theaters that much so I've only seen three, here's how I'd rank them.

1. Toy Story 3
                              2. Inception
                              3. The Social Network

I thought all 3 were quite good but only TS3 was worthy of Best Picture honors IMO.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X