Stock picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock picks

I am sitting in some cash after taking some profits in my IRA and am looking for some equity investment thoughts. Please include why you are or would go long.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

1.01 Chicken Stock

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

What is the formula for picking great stocks?
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
        If there were such a formula, the discoverer wouldn't be selling it for $99.95 or $499.95 a year. Even the best get it wrong sometimes, including the Great Investment God Warren Buffett. The only one who never showed a loss was Bernie Madoff, and look how that turned out.

I'm certainly no expert; the improvement in my overall portfolio since I started investing again 15 months ago has largely been driven by the overall market.

Here are a few tips, though--

1. Never commit a huge percentage of your investment funds to one stock. Diversify.
        2. A variation on an old Peter Lynch rule--never buy a stock whose product you don't understand. In my case, this covers a lot of "high tech".
        3. Take calculated risks, but never more than the far limit of your comfort zone. You want to make money AND sleep well at night.
        4. There's something to be said for "boring" companies that just keep on chugging. The key with these stocks is to...
        5. ...reinvest your dividends.
        6. Don't be afraid to take short-term profits, even if they're taxed at a higher rate than long-term gains. Obviously, this doesn't apply in Hammer's case, since his cash is in his IRA.
        7. Don't be afraid to not sell, since long-term gains get more favorable federal tax treatment.
        8. Remember that cash isn't earning diddly right now. This isn't the 1980s, for sure.
        9. Leave a small percentage for pure speculation.
        10. Establish sell points, both high and low, for most if not all of your stocks. However, you don't necessarily have to sell ALL of a position at that point. I like the idea of selling half and setting new numbers, high and low.
        11. There's no shame and sometimes a lot of honor and profit in saying, "I don't know", and leaving your decisions to a professional or team of professionals. Not stockbrokers, but mutual fund managers.
        12. If you're scared of underperforming the market, buy index funds. Which index is the question--large-capitalization, mid-cap, small-cap, value, growth, etc.
        13. Unless you're really insecure, use online brokerages to keep costs down. This is especially true if you're a trader as opposed to an investor.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          If there were such a formula, the discoverer wouldn't be selling it for $99.95 or $499.95 a year. Even the best get it wrong sometimes, including the Great Investment God Warren Buffett. The only one who never showed a loss was Bernie Madoff, and look how that turned out.

I'm certainly no expert; the improvement in my overall portfolio since I started investing again 15 months ago has largely been driven by the overall market.

Here are a few tips, though--

1. Never commit a huge percentage of your investment funds to one stock. Diversify.
          2. A variation on an old Peter Lynch rule--never buy a stock whose product you don't understand. In my case, this covers a lot of "high tech".
          3. Take calculated risks, but never more than the far limit of your comfort zone. You want to make money AND sleep well at night.
          4. There's something to be said for "boring" companies that just keep on chugging. The key with these stocks is to...
          5. ...reinvest your dividends.
          6. Don't be afraid to take short-term profits, even if they're taxed at a higher rate than long-term gains. Obviously, this doesn't apply in Hammer's case, since his cash is in his IRA.
          7. Don't be afraid to not sell, since long-term gains get more favorable federal tax treatment.
          8. Remember that cash isn't earning diddly right now. This isn't the 1980s, for sure.
          9. Leave a small percentage for pure speculation.
          10. Establish sell points, both high and low, for most if not all of your stocks. However, you don't necessarily have to sell ALL of a position at that point. I like the idea of selling half and setting new numbers, high and low.
          11. There's no shame and sometimes a lot of honor and profit in saying, "I don't know", and leaving your decisions to a professional or team of professionals. Not stockbrokers, but mutual fund managers.
          12. If you're scared of underperforming the market, buy index funds. Which index is the question--large-capitalization, mid-cap, small-cap, value, growth, etc.
          13. Unless you're really insecure, use online brokerages to keep costs down. This is especially true if you're a trader as opposed to an investor.
          awesome! Thank you DQ.
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I've been in and out of OREX twice now in the last three weeks, took the profits today and bought Nokia and Goodyear
            Last edited by Fresno Bob; 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM. Reason: what did I buy today....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              I've been in and out of OREX twice now in the last three weeks, took the profits today and bought Nokia and Goodyear

Ummm, that stock was $11 on 1/31 and then opened at $2.30 on 2/2 -- then today went to $4. I'm not sure that's a good recommendation!

Comment

I bought it at 4 in Dec, sold at 9 the end of Jan, bought it back on Feb 2nd at 2.40, and sold it today at over 4, what's not to like!
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

1) Build time machine
                  2) Go forward 20 years and buy WSJ
                  3) ...

Since this is in an IRA, have you considered doing covered calls? It requires a self managed account, but you should get one of those anyway, and put all your investments in it. It can be labor intensive, but that part should appeal to your fantasy instincts. It is also a very conservative strategy, suitable for an IRA.

Here is a primer. http://www.optionseducation.org/stra...vered_call.jsp

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

How do you guys handle your transactions? I assume online. Who/what service do you use/recommend?

Thanks.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'd recommend to anyone reading "The Little Book That Beats the Market." Very straight-forward strategy of using stock price & return on investment to come up with some solid picks. If you combine that in conjunction with future earnings estimates and accelerating sales growth, you should be able to find some winners.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I'd recommend to anyone reading "The Little Book That Beats the Market." Very straight-forward strategy of using stock price & return on investment to come up with some solid picks. If you combine that in conjunction with future earnings estimates and accelerating sales growth, you should be able to find some winners.
                        or you can buy a dartboard......

only kidding, Ed knows a bit about this...
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Check out the 1 yr on silver ETF (ticker SLV). Talk about a winner. Up another $1.35 today.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            Check out the 1 yr on silver ETF (ticker SLV). Talk about a winner. Up another $1.35 today.
                            you can thank me for recommending it to you when it was $25.....

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              you can thank me for recommending it to you when it was $25.....
                              $26 but lets not quibble shall we?

Comment

Working...
                              X