Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitching limits: Games Started or Innings Pitched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching limits: Games Started or Innings Pitched?

We're switching from weekly to daily lineups in one of my leagues and I'm insisting on a limit to stop blatant streaming.

Which one works best?

innings
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      innings
      Good.

That's exactly my feeling.

Comment

to expand a little, I just think its a more accurate reflection of body of work than Games Started.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Innings. If you just limit games started, you'll have endless streaming of middle relievers.
          "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
          ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

The best way to stop streaming is to make transactions weekly instead of daily.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Even with a limit, you will still get churning. I know there is no textbook definition, but what I mean is that there will be owners attempting to maximize matchups within the innings limit as opposed to disregarding ratios in an effort to pump up wins and strikeouts. If you want to minimize this form of streaming/churning, you need to limit (or charge for) transactions.
              Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Thanks folks.

My sole intention is to stop people taking the complete mickey and leaving the FA pool in shreds. I'll be calling it the "don't take the f**king piss" rule.

Damn, I'm going to miss weekly lineups in this league...

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                  Thanks folks.

My sole intention is to stop people taking the complete mickey and leaving the FA pool in shreds. I'll be calling it the "don't take the f**king piss" rule.

I wish I spoke with your slang. It sounds so much more interesting.
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                    I wish I spoke with your slang. It sounds so much more interesting.
                    You'd think...

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                      Thanks folks.

The way to do that is limit the number of reserve spots so, at minimum, they need to drop someone in order to pick up a streamer. You'll also find that a good players in this format will also sub in hitters on Monday and Thursday, so they will need a reserve spot to keep a hitter they don't want to release.

One possible drawbacks of this format is picking up free agents is first come first serve (unless you want to use daily FAAB) which may favor those with more access and/or time.

Another is most daily leagues use a waiver system on top of regular pickups. This is necessary to help prevent one team from dropping someone and another from immediately picking him up, in effect using waiver to make a trade and bypass any trade adjudication mechanism. A player stays on waivers "x" days and is awarded to the team making the claim with the highest priority, then they move down to the bottom of the list. A possible abuse of this rule is to have someone pick up and drop all the pitchers scheduled to start that day so no one else can pick them up.

What you are likely going to find is some problem with whatever rules you choose, decide on a fix (and hope your scoring service) can handle it, or work under a gentleman's agreement that thus-and-so is not done.

I play in a daily league, mostly because people want advice on daily leagues and I felt it best to actually experience the format. And while I will not say I have grown to like the format, I still prefer weekly, I have most definitely grown to like the league (yes, DJBeasties, the league you just joined ). The increased activity means increased interaction with your fellow owners, which is never a bad thing.
                      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I play in a league where each team has a reserve roster of 7 players
                        Every day you can move your players from reserve to active
                        Once a week you can dump any player and pick up a player from the player pool - they are picked up using FAAB - we dont use DL or injuries - you just cut a player and grab a new one
                        We have been playing this way for many years and it allows you to make daily moves but not go crazy working at it
                        We actually play innings as our 5th pitching category - this makes you grab mediocre starters and start pitchers where matchups might not be so favorable

Comment

Working...
                        X