2k11: Tyler Colvin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11: Tyler Colvin

Sort of an interesting breakout last year as Colvin finally started to figure some things out. He turned 25 in September and has a lot of minor league seasoning (looks like over 1000 ABs at AA).

2010 stats: 358 AB/395 PA, .254/.316/.500, 20 HR, 56 RBI, 60 R, 6sb... .296 BABIP, 7.6% walk rate, 27.9% K rate, 1.09 G/F, 17% LD rate, 1 CS, 18 doubles, 5 triples

18 doubles and 20 HR means that he pretty much maxed out his HR potential last year. The .316 OBP isn't great... chalk that up to a low AVG and a so-so walk rate. His K rate is pretty high but not Reynoldsian.

The speed is really the thing. Bill James has him down for 514 AB, .259-25-75-76r-6sb. He stole 8 bases in the minors in 2009, 7 in 2008 and 17 in 2007. If he can steal 8-10 bags this year that puts him a couple dollars ahead of other .260-25-75 guys. He was a good athlete when he was picked. I think it's still there.

I'm not sure how much power upside is there. Project last season's HR rate to 520 AB and he'd have 29 HR. But I think he maxed out his potential last year so I'd expect more like 25-26. He did hit .250-6HR in 108 AB against lefties and .255-14HR in 251 AB against righties so maybe the platoon split won't be an issue.

The other question is PT - Soriano and Byrd were a little nicked up last year. Colvin might just be better than Fukudome which helps, but will the Cubs really sit their expensive Japanese toy?

Given everything I think something like 475 AB, .265-23-68-63r-9sb looks reasonable, but he has upside for 600 AB, .265-29-88-76r-12sb if everything breaks right.

Is he going to be healthy to start the season?

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
      Is he going to be healthy to start the season?
      I read that he would be... but there isn't a lot of history related to punctured lungs and baseball.

Comment

Colvin says that he is fully recovered.

Carrie Muskat article

Quade's plan is to mix and match all four OFers to start the year. My guess is that Colvin will play nearly everyday once Soriano goes into one of his long cold spells. If Tyler can play to his capabilities, he should continue to get 5-6 starts a week. I'm still not sold that he will get his BA up much higher in the future, but he should still be fantasy worthy in 2011 and beyond.

Comment

The only Cub OF with upside, if he starts hitting he'll play every day. A very worthwhile gamble late.

Comment

Working...
          X