The Woke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Woke

With all the contentiousness revolving around "Woke Culture" in here and IRL, I got to thinking and could it be that we all consider what is being "Woke" and what is not different things?

For me, being "Woke" (and I don't like that term as it, like the PC moniker before it, are being used in a derisive manner) is simple--being thoughtful, considerate and educated on/about the issues of the day and having a willingness to learn more about these things we might not understand as well as we can/should.

Officially Woke is describe thus: “originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice”. No negative connotation. Now, some folks, throw being Woke around as though it's a bad thing. If you're one of these people, please explain why you think being Woke is bad.

Some folks say, the woke crowd refuses to see another point of view. How's that? Please share the views the woke are refusing to see. Specifically, thanks. Because I don't see how a Woke person does anything ELSE but try and see all points of view and then make make better choices.

If you do share and your POV/Opinion gets questioned, support your argument, win that debate through reason and logic, use stats (odd thig on a Fantasy Sports site, right?) link articles anything to help those Woke Folk see your perspective.

As of now, I hear only vague, general criticisms about the PC/Woke Culture and no real hard, substantiated, issues.

That's all--And may you/them have a great day.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've tried to have this same conversation. Asking serious questions gets me nowhere; just comments that I need to do my research, stop taking drugs, etc. It's almost a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
      I've tried to have this same conversation. Asking serious questions gets me nowhere; just comments that I need to do my research, stop taking drugs, etc. It's almost a waste of time.
      And the people who claim to be such vigilant researchers will always refuse to divulge their sources. I guess they don't want anyone to know they are getting their info from Russian bots via Facebook.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        And the people who claim to be such vigilant researchers will always refuse to divulge their sources. I guess they don't want anyone to know they are getting their info from Russian bots via Facebook.
        Yep. All they say is that the information is out there for me to find.

Comment

Woke is bad in the example we discussed in the other thread about trans women competing against cisgender women.

To ignore the HUGE advantage that transwomen will have against cisgender women is the height of ignorance. The Woke crowd refuse to see and admit this unfair advantage.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Woke is bad in the example we discussed in the other thread about trans women competing against cisgender women.

To ignore the HUGE advantage that transwomen will have against cisgender women is the height of ignorance. The Woke crowd refuse to see and admit this unfair advantage.
            #1, I never said a biological male who's transitioned didn't have an advantage and I consider myself Woke--how do you square that? Who's refusing to SEE this and/or ADMIT this. There is no IGNORANCE to be at the height of.

So who are these WOKE folks doing this? Or are you just painting with a broad brush....again.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              #1, I never said a biological male who's transitioned didn't have an advantage and I consider myself Woke--how do you square that? Who's refusing to SEE this and/or ADMIT this. There is no IGNORANCE to be at the height of.

So who are these WOKE folks doing this? Or are you just painting with a broad brush....again.
              Maybe you're not as woke as ya thinks ya are? You didn't say if you would allow transgender women to compete against cisgender women? would you?

I thought you paid attention to the world?

Some parents within Connecticut's high school track and field circle expressed outraged when two transgender students won top prizes at the state championships for girls.

A 13-year-old transgender girl sued Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday over a new law that will prevent her from playing girls sports at public schools, arguing that the ban is discriminatory and will deprive her of opportunities. The Broward County girl, Daisy, has played on girls soccer teams since she was 7, but will no longer be able to do so on school teams under the law that takes effect Thursday. Participating in sports has given her leadership skills and provided her a social network and support system, according to the lawsuit filed on her behalf by the Human Rights Campaign in a federal court in Fort Lauderdale.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I absolutely said I'd let them compete. What I said was that, until every sport does everything in its power to assure a level playing field, transathletes should be allowed to compete with the gender they identify. See the difference?

After reading the linked articles, you should just stay asleep because you obviously don't know or want to know what the issue at hand is.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

reading this thread I'm reminded of that old SNL bit about the All-Drug Olympics ...
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                  X