Covid Vaccine Passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid Vaccine Passports

I read today that Gov. Ron "Mini Me" DeSantis is passing an order forbidding these "covid vaccine passports" which some businesses may eventually require from their customers, proving that they've been vaccinated.

In the order, DeSantis said that vaccination records are private information, “which should not be shared by mandate,” and that “vaccine passports reduce individual freedom and will harm patient privacy.”

Yet the Florida Department of Health, like every other Dept of Health in this country, requires proof of immunization from 7 different diseases for a child to attend school. Where's the "patient privacy" issue with children? Where's the issue with forcing schools to know this, which is "by mandate?"

More hypocrisy. It seems that every step of the way in this pandemic, the GOP went 100% against common sense.

While I can't comment on DeSantis' order - I haven't read it - I doubt the COVID vaccine passports will survive the inevitable court test. There's any number of tacks that can be taken, but I think the Lemuel Penn case is certainly going to void their use for travel. Interstate travel is a constitutionally protected right due to that case, and requiring special papers like this will be deemed an unreasonable burden.

But we'll see. The passport is going to be required somewhere, and it'll get challenged, likely with a very expedited route to a SCOTUS ruling.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      While I can't comment on DeSantis' order - I haven't read it - I doubt the COVID vaccine passports will survive the inevitable court test. There's any number of tacks that can be taken, but I think the Lemuel Penn case is certainly going to void their use for travel. Interstate travel is a constitutionally protected right due to that case, and requiring special papers like this will be deemed an unreasonable burden.

But we'll see. The passport is going to be required somewhere, and it'll get challenged, likely with a very expedited route to a SCOTUS ruling.
      Pretty sure Federal regulations apply at airports (FAA) and TSA is a Federal agency If They Fed Govt mandates it, Desantis can say or do all he wants, but if you want to get on the plane, you'd better comply. He can take it to the SCOTUS, but I don't see him being successful. I don't see what the big deal is for the GOP--they have no issue with asking people of color to carry "Papers" this is just proving you aren't a walking zombiemaker

Edit: Private businesses can do whatever they want if it's a health issue.

Plus, the GOP grandstanding of late is failing at a spectacular level, especially now that their Enabler in Chief is eating Doritos in Mar Lago.
      Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 04-02-2021, 11:03 PM.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
      X