Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best thing Jesus taught? Atheists and agnostics welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best thing Jesus taught? Atheists and agnostics welcome.

From the no proof thread I noticed some, maybe most, state that they like what Jesus taught.

So what is your favorite teaching? Do you attempt to practice it?

Well......I've never stoned an adulterer.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

That demonstrating love/compassion are a critical part of ethics - far more critical than complying with 613 enumerated commandments in a legalistic way.

Comment

As B-Fly indicates, the shift from a religion of the Law to a focus on universal compassion is the most profound part of what is reported to have been Jesus' teachings. I love storytelling as a mode of teaching, so I'm most fond of the parables. The Parable of the Good Samaritan, and the radical expansion of the notion of family/tribe/neighbor to all of humanity, so that we should treat everyone with love and compassion, was truly revolutionary. Samaritans and Jews were enemies, but Jesus taught we were all one. 2000 years later, and it is still such a radical idea that most of the world, including self-proclaimed Christians, have not been able to embrace that lesson. We still hate each other and fight each other. We still divide each other into us vs them, our nation, our religion, the good guys, them, their nation, the bad guys. Their problems are not our problems. It is so very different from what Jesus taught. It is why I find it so odd that The US considers itself a Christian nation, but has embraced America First nationalism with Trump with so much vigor. The hate and indifference to the suffering of others just because they don't live in our land is antithetical to the teachings of Jesus. It is why I cannot reconcile someone being a supporter of Trump and proclaiming themselves to also be a Christian. It makes no sense to me. His ideology is in opposition to Jesus' teachings.

I've mentioned him before, but I think a modern Christian embodiment of that message was Mr. Rogers. He invited all children to be his neighbor, and be neighbors to each other, and in the context of his faith, that notion of neighborhood has a wonderful, heart-warming meaning to me.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

The best part of Jesus' teachings that I took away from my Catholic HS education is to help others in need.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Platitudes about love and compassion aside, I'm hard-pressed to think of any specific, applicable insight from Jesus that I couldn't have arrived at myself.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              Platitudes about love and compassion aside, I'm hard-pressed to think of any specific, applicable insight from Jesus that I couldn't have arrived at myself.
              but Jesus and his publicists got there 1st!

for me the primary teaching of Jesus is "No Cheap Grace", you aren't special because of where you are born, who your father was, or what books you've read, or what animals or cash you have offered at temple, by your actions towards your fellow man, especially those less fortunate. Loving one's neighbor as one loves oneself is not the easy road if you are actually serious about it.
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!
                Oops, that would have been Doig's if he were still around ...
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

you can get bears to maul your enemies if they make fun of you for being bald.

Comment

Working...
                  X