There is no proof that God exists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no proof that God exists

"God" is just a leftover from when we didn't understand science. religion is the longest con job in the history of humanity, and basically exists as a tool of social control, primarily to keep women "in their place". I personally have less respect for anyone that believes in existence of any type of god past the age of 10, and find Christians, and specifically "prosperity gospel" christians to be the highest level of hypocrisy
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    "God" is just a leftover from when we didn't understand science. religion is the longest con job in the history of humanity, and basically exists as a tool of social control, primarily to keep women "in their place". I personally have less respect for anyone that believes in existence of any type of god past the age of 10, and find Christians, and specifically "prosperity gospel" christians to be the highest level of hypocrisy
    I was kind of waiting for this one.

I hope your views and opinions will not stop you from giving me wanted advice in the fantasy baseball section.

God bless you and yours.

Comment

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true." -Mark Twain
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Gregg, I've met you in person, and I know you believe and kind of why, but I see no difference between the Bible, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, or any collection of Greek or roman myths. What is the point of a God that allows children to starve to death or to be abused by the very ones preaching in his name?
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

ahhh and now we get to have the predestination vs free will discussion.

This was a good one some 10 years ago.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Your statement is very different from your headline. Is that intentional? When you say there is no proof you are acknowledging that there is evidence. Why not say there is no evidence or call it a con-job in the title?

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            "Faith is believing something you know ain't true." -Mark Twain
            Clemens wished he had his wife's and his daughter's faith. It's fairly evident he did'nt have faith in his own quip.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Gregg, I've met you in person, and I know you believe and kind of why, but I see no difference between the Bible, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, or any collection of Greek or roman myths. What is the point of a God that allows children to starve to death or to be abused by the very ones preaching in his name?
              What a strange argument.

Is your argument that there is no proof of God's existence or is your argument that there's evidence that God is not omnipotent or are you arguing that God is not good?

Because the way you have structured your point, hockey "doesn't exist" because I don't see why anyone likes playing it since it's not fun for me.

If you want to have this kind of discussion you really need to focus in on what you are arguing about, because currently you are all over the place.

Comment

I very much enjoyed our time together. How long ago was that?

I am glad that you brought up the starving children. I have never been to a church that did not give a substantial amount to feeding and taking care of the children.

Maybe God has given us enough resources that no child needs to starve. Maybe many exercise their God given free will to ignore God, or not believe in Him. And in that free will, believer or not, chose not to save the children from starvation. That is not to say or presume that agnostics and non-believers do not give.

I do not think starving children is an indicator of the existence of God. It is more of a statement of our own rebellion.

Comment

For the record, I'm agnostic. One of my best friends is a radical atheist and he accuses me of being pro-religion (which I find amusing) because I challenge his certainty.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

It is certainly popular to argue that the Bible reads plausibly as fiction but I have never found the argument convincing.

Good fiction has its roots in reality. It is also instructive to compare it to other religious texts from the period. The Hebrew scriptures and analytical texts have a depth and solidity that others lack. This is particularly true when the histories are contemporanious rather than from oral tradition, eg the life of Moses. However, comparing the Flood of Gilgamesh to the flood of Noah favors the Hebrew text.

It is also popular to disparage oral traditions. Cook and Magellan sailed the Pacific over 400 years ago (the 500th anniversary of Magellan's sailing is next year). Oral traditions of various Pacific tribal groups have a wealth of detail that is confirmed by the ship's log books.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

So the Bible is non-fiction but other religions texts are fiction?
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

I also believe that most religions are sustained because people can't face the terror of their own oblivion.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

So the Bible is non-fiction but other religions texts are fiction?
                          I do not doubt that some other religions have some truth in their texts.

How many of the other religions name names and places that are corroborated in other texts?

Comment

I also believe that most religions are sustained because people can't face the terror of their own oblivion.
                            I do not know if I would agree with most, I do agree that for some maybe many that it is a starting point. That is not a bad thing.

Proverbs 19:23
                            The fear of the LORD leads to life, So that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Your statement is very different from your headline. Is that intentional? When you say there is no proof you are acknowledging that there is evidence. Why not say there is no evidence or call it a con-job in the title?

Clemens wished he had his wife's and his daughter's faith. It's fairly evident he did'nt have faith in his own quip.

J
                              Let me be clearer then, there is no evidence for the existence of "God". Showing me some 2000 year old marketing materials isn't "evidence", it is propaganda.

Comment

Working...
                              X