Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy way to correlate ADP value to auction value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy way to correlate ADP value to auction value?

Looking for a way to say pick #150 is equal to a $_ player. I'm thinking there is a rule of thumb out there for this but I'm running into dead ends.

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    Looking for a way to say pick #150 is equal to a $_ player. I'm thinking there is a rule of thumb out there for this but I'm running into dead ends.
    Have a look at this:

Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
      very helpful - thanks!

Comment

very helpful - thanks!
        Click the Average Auction Values on the list of categories on the right, then look at their 2010 values. In that post they say, "Others have looked into historical data and figured out the natural log function formula that one can apply to ADP in order to chart expected auction prices. We’ll spare you the details...", I'm sure if you emailed them they'd point you to the details.

It's an intelligent site. Not sure if you want to send a cease and desist order on the use of the "junkie" term though.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

btw, it is explained in a formula on p 47 of this year's Forecaster

Of course, I need to figure out how to run the formula

y=-9.81n(x)+57.8

Comment

btw, it is explained in a formula on p 47 of this year's Forecaster

Of course, I need to figure out how to run the formula

y=-9.81n(x)+57.8
            It's actually y=-9.8ln(x) + 57.8. That makes a HUGE difference. ;-)

(PS: You can run the equation using Excel or another spreadsheet program. Just set one cell as -9.8, the second cell as =LN("point to fourth cell"), the third cell as 57.8, the fourth cell as the ADP, the fifth cell as the product of the first cell times the second cell and the sixth cell as the sum of the third and fifth cells. Excel may make us less smart but it sure is useful when it comes to roto. LOL)
            Last edited by ThatRogue; 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post

(PS: You can run the equation using Excel or another spreadsheet program. Just set one cell as -9.8, the second cell as =LN("point to fourth cell"), the third cell as 57.8, the fourth cell as the ADP, the fifth cell as the product of the first cell times the second cell and the sixth cell as the sum of the third and fifth cells. Excel may make us less smart but it sure is useful when it comes to roto. LOL)
              Do they still teach logarithms in public schools? A chart might be more useful.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post

That's what I ended up doing. I had the ADP value in cell A, cell B was =LN(A2), and then cell C is set up for =-9.8*(B2)+57.8

It does inflate the top values (Pujols $56) but it shows a r2 of +.93 which is significant enough to use and then fudge the factors at the top.

Comment

That's what I ended up doing. I had the ADP value in cell A, cell B was =LN(A2), and then cell C is set up for =-9.8*(B2)+57.8

It does inflate the top values (Pujols $56) but it shows a r2 of +.93 which is significant enough to use and then fudge the factors at the top.
                  Is that all that out line, $56 for Pujols? Remember you are not calculating value, you are calculating what to expect him to go for at an auction.

Comment

Is that all that out line, $56 for Pujols? Remember you are not calculating value, you are calculating what to expect him to go for at an auction.
                    $56 for any player in a non-inflated auction is out of line.

Comment

$56 for any player in a non-inflated auction is out of line.
                      It's been a long time since I drafted in a non-keeper league, but I would not be shocked to see Pujols go for $56. In the Shandler 500 thread Todd said he bid Pujols up to $110, from Shandler's $53 starting price. Granted it's a much different format and budget, but it illustrates how some will extremely overbid the elite players.

ETA: Maybe others can chime in on the top prices in their non-keeper, $260 drafts.
                      Last edited by TopChuckie; 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

It's been a long time since I drafted in a non-keeper league, but I would not be shocked to see Pujols go for $56. In the Shandler 500 thread Todd said he bid Pujols up to $110, from Shandler's $53 starting price. Granted it's a much different format and budget, but it illustrates how some will extremely overbid the elite players.

ETA: Maybe others can chime in on the top prices in their non-keeper, $260 drafts.
                        In my local re-draft NL only auction league, Bonds and Pujols are the only players ever to top $50 in the 14 years I've been in the league, and only after we switched from AVG to OBP around 8 years ago. I believe I bought Bonds for $53 in 2003 and $51 in 2004 in that league. Somebody bought Pujols for $52 one year - can't recall which one.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          In my local re-draft NL only auction league, Bonds and Pujols are the only players ever to top $50 in the 14 years I've been in the league, and only after we switched from AVG to OBP around 8 years ago. I believe I bought Bonds for $53 in 2003 and $51 in 2004 in that league. Somebody bought Pujols for $52 one year - can't recall which one.
                          Yeah, I can see Pujols going for $56 in a particular draft, but I will admit an average of $56 would be high, as that would likely require bids over $60. The highest actual average auction value I could find for Pujols over the last two years was $48, and that most likely included inflated keeper auctions.

Comment

Just a point of clarification - Roto 500 is a completely different animal, you have $500 to work with. And FWIW, those reading that thread, I have it from a very reputable source (cough Ron cough) that the prices now on his site were adjusted from those we used in FPAZ. I would not bid him up that high with the present prices.

And, I can pretty much guarantee someone will pay $56 for Pujols in a few of the 15 team NFBC auction championships. He won't average that, but he will go for that in at least one, probably a few leagues.
                            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post

And, I can pretty much guarantee someone will pay $56 for Pujols in a few of the 15 team NFBC auction championships. He won't average that, but he will go for that in at least one, probably a few leagues.
                              Is there a NFBC event in St. Louis this season?

Comment

Working...
                              X