Post draft grades and comments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post draft grades and comments.

The Chiefs drafted well, particularly on day 2, but the 1st pick is very make or break, with heavy risk factors.

The first pick is Pitt's Jonathon Baldwin, taken #26. JB is easily talented enough for the pick, but has what is thought to be some serious attitude problems. He is 180° opposite of what was drafted in the successful 2010 draft.

After that, things went well. We picked up the best ZBS C in the draft in the 2nd. In the 3rd, two sliders: a LB with mid 1st talent, who tested positive for weed; and a chronic DL underachiever with 1st round tools. Day three brought a QB to groom, Stanzi from Iowa, a big CB/FS, an Ivy League FB/TE, a NT (which we needed) and my favorite palyer from this draft--Gabe Miller.

Miller is the team captain of Oregon State, who sent Steven Peae to round 2. Miller converted from TE as a junior, his first time on defense, and managed Honorable Mention All Conference. The thing to like about Miller, aside from the desire and teamfirst attitude, is a great first step. He isnt Von Miller, but he is the next level down, and 4 rounds later.

Overall, I give them a B+. It is not as good as last year because of risk factors. But the risk is overrated. Expect two instant starters, and perhaps two more by playoffs. If Baldwin plays up to his talent level, the top is off.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

One for chancellor, quoted froma different forum, with permission.
    Green Bay

My impression of the draft was that it was pretty saavy, but light on defense. From what I can tell, the first two picks were best-on-board picks and starting in round 3, the Packers seemed to pinpoint guys that they wanted. If they were there, they got picked. If not, they traded out. I like the top end guys and am a little leary of what went down in round 6 and 7. However, it was round 6 or 7 and most of these guys are not roster material anyways (especially on a stacked roster).

Round 1: Derek Sherrod OT

While for some fans it is a foregone conclusion that Sherrod would be the LT in waiting, I would bet that there might be a little competition between Bulaga and Sherrod. That can only mean good things and to get an SEC left-tackle-capable at the end of round one is a steal. I have a strong bias to the SEC when it comes to left tackles because I believe that your best athletes play in the SEC and some truly exceptional college pass rushers play there. An added plus is that Newhouse will get kicked inside where he may get a shot at the LG position.

Round 2: Randall Cobb WR

With the general public still trumpeting that he is a returner, I am betting that his pass catching skills will be a big surprise for most folks whenever camp starts. Because of this, I see Cobb being a fan favorite almost immediately in the same way that Jennings was. They love him because he can return, but in my opinion that is his least developed skill. Great with the ball. Does all of the things that Packer WR are asked to do. Going to contribute in year one.

Round 3: Alex Green RB

As sad as I am to admit this, picking Alex Green was a big old signal of the end of the Brandon Jackson era. I wish him well. He was a try hard guy who just could not string it together. Great blocker in his last year and a good pass catcher from the backfield, but you have to be able to run the ball a little better. Green didn't make me happy initially and I still am apprehensive about his ability to hold onto the rock, but his YPC/experience is a passing offense/size/speed combo are very intriguing. I like him better than most backs available to possibly turn into a feature back, but I am not sure what the plans are with him. Runs almost completely opposite from Jackson in that he runs into defenders at every opportunity. Punishing. This is the first pick that I wasn't ecstatic with and possibly the most curious one in the draft, for me.

Round 4: Davon House CB

People are loving this pick and I think that it has great value, but for those looking for a Shields-type impact will be dissappointed. He has great work out numbers and has some press man skills, but will need some coaching up. However with the TE boom, I expect that he will fight with P. Lee for the final CB position with special teams being the determining factor. Not sure why he lasted this long, but he has a shot.

Round 5: DJ Williams TE

Here is where the draft got interesting. I have been projecting a TE pick for most of the year because I think that the Packers have some risk there - either losing Finley to FA or Quarless becoming a head case. Williams is a great, low-risk pickup and the way that GB uses their TE in movement suits him perfectly. The trick here is how he plays special teams. With Hall likely gone and Jackson needing to prove his ST chops to keep his spot, I can see Williams being on the 45 weekly if he can chase on special teams.

Round 6a: Caleb Schlauderaff OG/C

Don't want to judge too early because I didn't think much of Sitton coming out and now he might be the best guard in the NFC. To me this looks like a classic Packer job of finding a guy that the really, really wanted and despite not being as heralded as others still available, they grabbed him. May work or not. May stick this year or not. The interior really depends on what happens with free agency. To me, this pick is the first non-obvious choice of the bunch which makes me think that they know something that no one else does.

Round 6b: DJ Smith ILB

To me, this guy would have been a UDPFA in every other year, but without the ability to sign rookies to deals, the Packers reached to get him. Moss has used the R word (relentless) to desribe him. Looking at him, he seems like another guy that is going to push on special teams and work into a new body. For the jump he's making, it will take a year to reshape his body and that may come on the practice squad. Must be a personal favorite of scouts and/or Moss because the size/speed numbers don't add up.

Round 6c: Rick Elmore OLB

Another productive guy without the gym numbers to boost his ratings. Elmore is likely one of the more productive late round pass rushers, but will need to show that he can hack it against the big boys. Along with Walden and Zombo, there isn't much in the way of flash at ROLB, but the defense seems to be OK with that. My sleeper as the defensive player to surprise by being cut.

Round 7a: Ryan Taylor TE/STO

Clearly day 3 of the draft came with a message. Play damned special teams and kind of became obvious with the drafting of Taylor, who got to play a little TE this past year in between kicks and punts. Quinn Johnson, you are on notice. Underwood, you are on notice. McCarthy wants big guys flying down on coverage. Taylor might be one of those luxury guys that makes the squad, but I doubt it. Practice squad is my prediction. Still not a great feeling about this one.

Round 7b: Lawrence Guy DE

A guy that I liked as a 2nd tier DL due to size/speed/pass rush skills. Fell much further because of weakness is concentration and in the running game. Could be the last DL in the group or, if he can't focus, may be gone. Great value in round 7 where there are not too many 3-4 DE bodies.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

1. Tyron Smith, OT - Smith shows that the Cowboys are adapting to change. The league is continuing to alter it's rules to allow for more scoring and an increased "entertainment" factor. Teams are finding out that the way to win in the NFL is to pass and stop the pass. Offensive lines built for road grading are slowly disappearing. Smith is every bit the agile athlete, plus he is only 20 years old, and still developing physically. Expect him to play RT for a year or two, before he moves to LT.

Grade: A

2. Bruce Carter, LB - I'm going to be critical of this pick. Carter is a converted Safety and has the speed and range to cover effectively. He has great range against the run. He brings rare special teams ability. Glowing reports from draft analysts, and Butch Davis, lead me to want to get excited about him. But, until he gets over his torn ACL, I will have to grade this pick harshly.

Grade: B-

3. Demarco Murray, RB - Murray is good combination of breakaway ability and size at the position. The production is unquestioned. He proved it against top competition over time. His skills as a pass blocker are refined. However, the bust factor on him is large. Moreover, I see a lot of similarity to Felix Jones, though he is more effective between the tackles. Based on the player, the grade is decent. Based on need not as good. A power runner makes more sense.

4. David Arkin, OG - While not one of the more talked about prospects, Arkin had fans in high places. Rich Gosselin included him in his Top 100 and ProFootballWeekly had him as a 3rd to 4th rounder. Like Tyron Smith and Doug Free, Arkin is an "athletic" lineman with long arms. I like the pick, and more importantly, the commitment that the Cowboys have made to their new OL philosophy.

Grade: A-

5. Josh Thomas, DB - This may be the most physical DB in the draft. Thomas has the build of a tank: traps, pecks, guns, thick thighs. Scott Wright has him ranked as his 9th rated CB, projected him as a 2nd or 3rd round. This meets a need for CB or FS with great value. The downside is that he may have no position. Nice pick

Grade: B+

6. Dwayne Harris, WR - Great Look. I love players with dreads. It worries me when that is the best thing I can point to. He is a possible slot WR, but most likely a slot WR, PR and ST gunner. For round 6, that is not a slam.

Grade: C

7. Shaun Chapas, FB - The Cowboys have not had a stable FB since Daryl Johnston. Perhaps, perhaps not.

8. Bill Nagy, C - Pure flyer. He might stick as a backup OG/C. Probably not. Better regarded talent went undrafted.

Grade: C

Overall grade: B Smith was an excellent pick, as was Arkin. Some of the others may stick, and Murray has real upside. Thomas could be a real find, or too stiff to play at this level.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
      X