X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Scott Baker

::thread is copied from the old site::

sfenty wrote:
    He regressed some in 2010, and was a bit banged up. He's long been considered a breakout candidate, because of his impressive control. However his ERA was 4.49 last year, and his WHIP was 1.344. Not a line to write home about. He had minor elbow surgery this offseason ("a clean out"), but is expected to be fine for spring training.

There isn't a lot of hard evidence here to get excited about, but Shandler expects improvement (but Shandler expects improvement for Baker every year--he's predicted a breakout for a couple of years).

So, is this the year that Baker's skills overcome his deficits (health and the long ball)? What do you expect from Baker in 2011?

I'll be hopeful one more year and say he posts a line of 15 wins, with a 3.8 era and a 1.2 whip along with 170Ks in 200 innings.

joncarlos wrote:

Put him in the "not down with FIP" group with James Shields and Rickey Nolasco. BABIP should improve and Target Field should keep the HRs down. But how long will we have to wait for the ERA to match the FIP? (3.96 FIP, 4.49 ERA last year)

ctt8410 wrote:

I own Baker so I guess I like him well enough, but whereas I can see the upside with Nolasco and Shields thanks to their GB rates last year, 40.0% and 41.3% respectively, Baker is just a tried and true flyball pitcher (34.1% career).
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Baker has a fighting chance to end up in the bullpen if he doesn't do well in spring training. He, Blackburn, and Slowey are battling for 2 slots behind Liriano, Duensing, and Pavano. I would guess that Blackburn is going to be the odd man out, but neither Baker nor Slowey did themselves any favors last year. Don't bid too much on any of these guys...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

He is an interesting one. Could be a total bust, could be incredibly valuable, just like his FIP-mates, Shields and Nolasco. Great cheap guys to get, not good to get expensively.

Comment

I agree with JC in that he's one of those pitchers we've all been waiting for a breakout from, yet he's never quite put it all together, and Nolasco and Kevin Slowey seem to also be in that ballpark.

I project a 3.3 K/BB ratio for him, so since he'll come pretty cheap, he should be a solid option for a fantasy staff.

Comment

Working...
        X