Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Pretty interesting ideas laid out by Ron in today's newsletter. You can read the full details here: http://www.baseballhq.com/library/hqtoday.shtml (not sure how long that link will keep working, I'll try to edit as needed). The basic ideas are:

1. You get $500 to acquire your players for the whole season. That includes your active roster, your reserves and your FAAB. So if you spend $350 at auction you have $150 for "FAAB" and if you spend $450 at auction you have only $50 for "FAAB."

2. You have a 40-man roster that you can build through the auction and FAAB (and obviously trades). So if you want to buy 36 guys at auction you can. If you want to buy 26, you can do that too.

3. Each team has a salary cap of $500 that they have to stick to all season. So in a sense, you never 'run out' of FAAB - if you can trade a $50 guy for a $5 guy, then you can bid more the following week.

----At this point I'd be curious to think about a league using JUST these parameters. To me that is a really intriguing idea. But Ron has some additional components.

4. Each player has a set price (based on their last 2 seasons).

5. BUT, the set price is really a price floor. The way the draft/auction works is that you draft a player (say Pujols $52) and then people can bid more than that if they want to. Each team can only top a bid 3 times so it's kind of a mix between a draft and an auction.

6. Scoring is changed as well. It's 4x4 with OBP, HR, SB and runs produced (R + RBI -HR) on offense, and Wins, Ks, ERA and saves/holds (Sv + H - BS) on the pitching side.

While I'm not sure I see this sweeping the nation in a giant craze, I do think there are some interesting ideas here that could be incorporated into existing leagues.

A league mate and I have discussed this concept and think it is great. We just wish we could find 12 owners to get an a.l. only league going.

Comment

Can you cut/waive someone? If you can and you do, I assume you then have that money in your FAAB?
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
        A league mate and I have discussed this concept and think it is great. We just wish we could find 12 owners to get an a.l. only league going.
        Should we try it here?
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          Should we try it here?
          I think I'd be in. I am not sure how it would be managed though. If you could figure it out I'd definitely think about it.

Comment

Can you cut/waive someone? If you can and you do, I assume you then have that money in your FAAB?
            Interesting question. Shandler doesn't really cover it in his introduction. I would assume so, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              I think I'd be in. I am not sure how it would be managed though. If you could figure it out I'd definitely think about it.
              Let me give it some thought. I'm a stickler for rules and I hate loopholes, so it might be a lot to get together between now and the season, along with our prep for our real leagues, but I'd be curious to try it out.

I have my own AL-only, and NL-only leagues, so I'd prefer a mixed league so it's that much more different for me, plus I think that would make for fewer rules, i.e. handling of players crossing over and whatnot.

Comment

I'd be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Interesting question. Shandler doesn't really cover it in his introduction. I would assume so, but I'm not sure.
                  And does a player's salary carry through the whole season, regardless of his performance, or do we use a site that updates value throughout the season? What about new players called up from the minors, how are their salaries determined, or even rookies at the draft if they don't have the two years service to determine a salary?

Comment

I'd be interested too, if only because I'd like to see the web site that can handle it.

(but also because it sounds interesting)

- Mike
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      I'd be interested too, if only because I'd like to see the web site that can handle it.

(but also because it sounds interesting)

- Mike
                      Both my leagues use CBS so I'd like to give OnRoto a test just because it seems like the only real competition for CBS and I'd like to be the judge. But maybe we'd want to restrict it to a free site.

I don't think the stat categories would be an issue. The FAAB system might have to be done offline and inputted though, even at OnRoto who I gather has the best FAAB system.

Comment

The concept sounds interesting but why the set prices plus a chance to bid 3 x? Why not a full auction?

Comment

Geez, I love it. I would be interested.

Comment

And does a player's salary carry through the whole season, regardless of his performance, or do we use a site that updates value throughout the season? What about new players called up from the minors, how are their salaries determined, or even rookies at the draft if they don't have the two years service to determine a salary?
                            Rookies are $10 (from the article) and salaries would stay the same for the whole season (also from the article)

2nd year players would be the average of $10 (for the year they were in the minors) and their 1st year earnings. Which would actually help a guy like Jennings who was called up in 2010 but earned less than $10.

Players called up would be acquired by FAAB and their cap hit would be whatever you paid for them.

Comment

Would have to be automated and controlled.

Comment

Working...
                              X