Any fellow firearms enthusiasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fellow firearms enthusiasts?

Any of my old cohorts here at RJ into shooting sports?

I've had my first AR15 for about 6 months now and I am addicted to it. Black Rifle Disease has me in its clutches. Went to a 3-gun Match two weeks ago to see what it was all about and can't wait to give it a try.

(Bfly, you can move along, nothing to see here)

I am seriously contemplating getting a rifle or two but it seems that joining a club to shoot ais expensive here in Jersey.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Yeah, and not to mention that Jersey has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. Down here it's about $15 to go a range and shoot all day. Or if you have access to land, you can just go shoot for free. I'm lucky enough to have a hunting lease that is about 640 acres so I can go shoot for free when I don't mind making the 2-hour drive to my place.

What kind of rifle did you have in mind?

Comment

I heard good things about mossberg guns, though I have yet to shoot them. I did shoot a benelli (not sure of the model) and it had a good feel to it without much kickback. Whats your preference?

BTW, howve you been pal?
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Oh, its been quite a couple of years... got remarried, laid off from my job twice and have a daughter about to become a teenager. Oh, I've sucked it when it comes to fantasy baseball performance for three straight years. So yeah...

OK, so it sounds like you're looking for a shotgun? Mossberg makes nice, low-cost shotguns. Benelli's are not so low cost. I've shot a Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical that was excellent. If you're looking for a home defense type weapon, I recommend either the low cost Remington 870 or higher end guns like a Mossberg 930SPX, the aforementioned Benelli or a FN SLP. The Remington is a pump action gun while the others I mentioned are all autoloaders. Most home defense shotguns have a 18-20" barrel.

If you're looking for a hunting shotgun, then there are even more options out there. Hunting shotguns usually have much longer barrels for reaching out and hitting birds.

Comment

yea, I shouldve mentioned I was refering to shotguns. I will take a look at those you suggested.

I dont have the heart to blow bambi's brains out so I will stick to objects that dont move or humans that I dont like.

Comment

I understand that completely - shooting steel or clay pigeons with a shotgun is a ton of fun too. Take a look at Saiga shotguns too. I know Bob just got one. They are magazine fed as opposite to tube fed so they have their own unique challenges, but it's basically an AK47 that shoots 12 gauge shot gun shells.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                Oh, I don't know... I could see him getting into it...
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I know he's a big fan of Hello Kitty but... oh wait, you mean... right. Yep, he's in!

Comment

Who me? I love guns. Can't get enough of 'em. Pow...pow...pow! Man, the rush!

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Who me? I love guns. Can't get enough of 'em. Pow...pow...pow! Man, the rush!
                      I know it isn't as big a rush as watching The Undertaker pile drive (does he do that?) someone but it's close.

Comment

I have a friend that is looking at giving me one of his rifles. While I haven't done much shooting, all of my brothers in-law are serious hunters. I wouldn't mind going out with them and hunting down Bambi to provide some food for the family. I'm not real keen on having the gun in the house, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I put together my own black rifle back in 1999 or 2000. It's been a few years since I've been to the range, though. I knew some guys who used to have an annual black rifle shoot in Glen Rose. I wonder if they are still doing that. I've lost touch with them, but they were good folks.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I know it isn't as big a rush as watching The Undertaker pile drive (does he do that?) someone but it's close.
                            Seriously, I don't have a major problem with shooting for sport at a firing range or in a game preserve. My primary concerns are with guns on the street and in the community -- (i) gun crime and the lax laws or lax enforcement that result in a steady flow of guns to criminals, and (ii) the tragedies that tend to result with respect to guns - mostly handguns - that are ostensibly purchased and kept for home protection or personal protection.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              Seriously, I don't have a major problem with shooting for sport at a firing range or in a game preserve. My primary concerns are with guns on the street and in the community -- (i) gun crime and the lax laws or lax enforcement that result in a steady flow of guns to criminals, and (ii) the tragedies that tend to result with respect to guns - mostly handguns - that are ostensibly purchased and kept for home protection or personal protection.
                              do you have an issue with people having firearms for propert protection?

Comment

Working...
                              X