Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies Farm System

back without any demand...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

In my main league, it's not worth drafting minor leaguers unless they're gonna hit the bigs this year or next. Given that, should I try to pick up Jonathan Singleton?
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      In my main league, it's not worth drafting minor leaguers unless they're gonna hit the bigs this year or next. Given that, should I try to pick up Jonathan Singleton?
      I can't imagine next year. He didn't finish strong and is only headed to High-A next season (I would expect.) Plus, he's only 18 or 19. I would like to see how he recovers... if he's closer to his torrid start or tepid finish. With a good season, he moves to AA two years from now as a 20 year old and with that traditionally being the biggest jump in difficulty, I would expect he would need a full season there at least

They have been playing him in the OF over the winter and I have no idea what the Phillies plans are for LF come 2012, but it's still hard to imagine Singleton getting any PT before 2013 at the earliest. I would expect to see Gillies out there before Singleton.

Comment

just traded for 1 $1 Brown in my NL only league. Heres hoping he starts 2k11 in LF although I am skeptical at this point.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          just traded for 1 $1 Brown in my NL only league. Heres hoping he starts 2k11 in LF although I am skeptical at this point.
          yeah, I think he starts the season in AAA right now, although we are still to see who is going to be playing OF for the Phils come opening day. I guess right now it's Francisco, Victorino, Ibanez and Gload. They need to find a 5th who can play CF still. I'd hate to see OF D of Gload and Ibanez with Francisco playing CF in Victorino got hurt for any extended amount of time. I have to imagine if any of the starters got hurt that Brown would be called up immediately instead of seeing Gload get extended time anywhere.

Brown needs to tear up ST to start the season in Philly.

Comment

MLB is doing their Minor's previews. A couple of Phillies have made the lists so far.

D. Brown is #3 in OF
            3. Domonic Brown, Phillies: The Phillies might be saying publicly they're not handing the right-field job to Brown this spring, but rest assured they're hoping he wins it outright. He has all the makings of the prototypical right fielder, with outstanding raw power and a strong arm. Brown really started to tap into that power in 2010, but he's more than just a home run threat -- he should hit for average as well. He's got good speed to boot, and his entire package reminds many of a young Darryl Strawberry.

Singleton #4 on the 1B list (now playing LF for the phillies)
            4. Jonathan Singleton, Phillies: When he was drafted out of high school in 2009, Singleton was thought of as a project -- more tools than anything. The Phillies had liked his bat, and it turned out to be very productive right out of the gate -- as Singleton was named the South Atlantic League's Most Outstanding Major League Prospect this past year. It looks like he will be able to hit for both average and plenty of power, especially as he matures. He could make a move to an outfield corner, so he won't be blocked by Ryan Howard down the line.

Cesar Hernadez is #7 on the 2B list
            7. Cesar Hernandez, Phillies: Hernandez made his United States debut in 2009 in the Gulf Coast League, but really jumped out with his All-Star performance in the short-season New York-Penn League last year. His 32 steals were good for second in the league and he was sixth in the batting race (.325). He should be a fun one to watch during his full-season debut with Lakewood in the South Atlantic League.

Comment

I'm not an ESPN Insider, so I have no idea what the write-up says besides this:

Head over to espn.com and check out Keith’s writeup (insider only) of the 30 farm systems. He highlights the Phillies ridiculously stocked Lakewood team in 2010, and also highlights that we&#…

Keith Law ranks the Phillies farm system 5th in MLB

Head over to espn.com and check out Keith’s writeup (insider only) of the 30 farm systems. He highlights the Phillies ridiculously stocked Lakewood team in 2010, and also highlights that we’ve stocked our system, despite all the trades, on a relatively tight budget. Imagine if we equipped our scouts, some of the best in the game, with the budgets of the big spending teams. Also, that sound you hear is Mets fans screaming that life just isn’t fair. The Mets found themselves ranked 26th. Better luck next year!

Comment

MLB.com top 50 prospects:

Coverage includes audio and video clips, interviews, statistics, schedules and exclusive stories.

4) Brown
                30) Singleton

10 who "just missed" the list:
                51) Cosart

of the guys who were traded away...
                12) Drabek

If Cosart is 51, Colvin shouldn't be far behind.

Comment

Keith Law's top 100...

espn insider only, but the phillies on the list are:

Domonic Brown: 3rd
                  Jon Singleton: 27th
                  Jarred Cosart: 34th
                  Brody Colvin: 76th
                  Trevor May: 93rd

Comment

More tidbits from Keith Law. I can't read the original, but I've seen it reported in multiple places that Law says the phillies have been working Aaron Altherr out at 3B. Altherr spent some time with Eric Chavez (who he shares an agent with) this winter and initial reports have been positive.

Atherr played SS in HS, but was drafted as another "toolsy" OF by the phillies in 2009. He he split time between the gulf coast league phillies and short season williamsport last year and put up decent numbers. At 6'5" and 190, he hasn't shown any power yet, but he apparently has the arm for 3B. Baseball America rated Altherr the phillies #10 prospect.

Comment

Phuturephillies.com just finished their Reader's top 30 prospects list:

Kevin Walter takes the last spot in the 2011 Reader Top 30, edging out Scott Mathieson. This concludes the 2011 edition, which was an improvement over last years, which was an improvement over 2008…

1. Domonic Brown, OF
                      2. Jon Singleton, OF
                      3. Jarred Cosart, RHP
                      4. Brody Colvin, RHP
                      5. Trevor May, RHP
                      6. Sebastian Valle, C
                      7. Vance Worley, RHP
                      8. Jesse Biddle, LHP
                      9. Tyson Gillies, OF
                      10. Justin De Fratus, RHP
                      11. Jiwan James, OF
                      12. Julio Rodriguez, RHP
                      13. Domingo Santana, OF
                      14. Aaron Altherr, OF
                      15. Phillippe Aumont, RHP
                      16. JC Ramirez, RHP
                      17. Matt Rizzotti, 1B
                      18. Jon Pettibone, RHP
                      19. Austin Hyatt, RHP
                      20. Cesar Hernandez, 2B
                      21. Harold Garcia, 2B
                      22. Kelly Dugan, OF
                      23. Michael Schwimer, RHP
                      24. Colby Shreve, RHP
                      25. Freddy Galvis, SS
                      26. Josh Zeid, RHP
                      27. Leandro Castro, OF
                      28. Perci Garner, RHP
                      29. Cameron Rupp, C
                      30. Kevin Walter, RHP

The amazing thing about the phillies list, aside from the fact that it's so strong (I've seen it ranked 5th in baseball) even after all the trades, is the depth. The top 5 guys are all B, B+ or better, and the entire rest of the list of 30 are C, C+ guys. Basically, they are all interchangeable 6-30. Any one of these guys could be in the top 10 going into next season. The list even leaves off a couple of interesting names.

I think that's another post though. My thoughts coming soon.

Comment

Domingo Santana is a prospect who intrigues me. Plus power, and speed. A great build for baseball. I heard as he fills out the speed may not be as big a plus. He is still young but 2010 wasn't the step forward I was hoping for.

any other thoughts on him?
                        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
                          Domingo Santana is a prospect who intrigues me. Plus power, and speed. A great build for baseball. I heard as he fills out the speed may not be as big a plus. He is still young but 2010 wasn't the step forward I was hoping for.

any other thoughts on him?
                          he started last season at lakewood and seemed lost. He's apparently got a decent eye for pitches, but still swung and missed a ton. Once short season ball started he was demoted down to Williamsport where he continued to struggle. I understand the idea of wanting him to get as many ABs last season as he could, but after struggling early in an advanced league, he never seemed to get back on track. Physically, he's a monster, and as you said, still young even this year for Lakewood. Hopefully he starts out better. He's too young to call this a make or break year, but it should be a step forward year for him.

I'm not sure the speed sticks around. He's a really big kid.

Comment

Yeah his physical stature reminds me alot of a young Darryl Strawberry.
                            Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Gotta give some love to my hometown homie Percival Garner the III! BBHQ has him 12th in the system - he has sweet FB and great kid too. He pitched alot at Ball State last year, so they shut him down after the draft. Hopefully this year he makes a big move up!

Comment

Working...
                              X