No announcement yet.

Phillies Farm System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the Palm Beach Post blog (Greene’s hometown paper), the Phillies have come to terms with 11th round pick Tyler Greene.
    SS Greene (not to be confused with the all power no hit OF Larry Greene they took in the first) was viewed as a supplemental 1 - second round pick but fell due to signability. Getting this done is a huge plus for the phillies draft.

Baseball America:
    He’s impressive physically and shows well in workouts and showcases with his raw tools. Greene has improved his speed to well above-average over the last year by getting stronger and more explosive. He has a fast-twitch body and athletic ability, and looks the part at shortstop. He’s not natural at short, doesn’t always get good hops and doesn’t have the most accurate arm, short-circuiting his plus arm strength. Offensively, he was erratic on the showcase circuit and again this spring, where he was hitting around .380 in mid May with just five home runs. Greene also could move up boards with a strong workout.
    Along with Greene the phillies have signed 2nd rounder 3B Harold Martinez from Miami, 3rd round LHP Adam Morgan from Alabama, 4th round 2B Cody Asche from Nebraska, and a bunch of suspects/org filler. Martinez, Morgan and Asche are all playing in Williamsport and doing decently in their first year. I really like both Martinez and Asche.

Still unsigned of interest:

1st rnd HS OF Larry Green
    Baseball America predraft
    “Ran a 6.8 at a PG event, so he has the speed to stick in the corner outfield. He’s more of a dead pull guy right now, but he has a lot of power. His swing generates a lot of life because his bat flight path is on a slight uppercut plane. Balanced step and load action at the plate and strong hands to get the barrel too the ball. Not sure if he’ll grow anymore height wise, but we’ll see. Gotta keep his body in shape at 6’1. His power is his best tool.”
    2nd Rnd HS 2B/CF Roman Quinn
    Baseball America:
    Surprised he was drafted as a SS. I guess the Phillies are willing to give him a look there, but I don’t think his glove sticks. He stabs at the ball when he fields, especially with the backhand, and he doesn’t possess soft hands defensively. Quinn’s speed is probably his best tool, and he can absolutely fly; we’re talking a 6.5 type of 60 guy here and that is plus stuff. For a 5-10, 170 pound high school prospect, his hands, bat speed, and bat all seemed stronger than they should be for a player his size. If he sticks at short, it will be a surprise to me. In the outfield, he has a potential plus arm. The buzz around FSU is that the Noles expect him to sign.
    5th rnd HS SS Mitchell Walding
    Baseball America
    Tools, tools, tools. Based solely on his intriguing blend of future power, arm strength, and defensive upside, Walding could be ranked just outside the top five on this list. As it stands, however, he falls a bit later because the gap between what he currently is and what he could be some day is substantial. The power upside is dependent on his pro frame (6-4, 185) filling out and his swing getting tweaked, the arm strength upside will rely on his weird arm action being adjusted, and the defensive upside will only be reached after thousands of groundballs off the fungo. If nothing else, I appreciate his high boom/high bust style of prospectdom, a fun departure from the series of “yes glove, maybe bat, no power” players that often make up the second wave of prep shortstop prospects. As an added bonus, if it all works out, he has the bat and power potential to start in the big leagues even if he has to move off short.
    7th rnd JC RHP Kenny Giles
    Baseball America
    Limited IP/success in 3 years; ++ hot/cold, FB at 90-95, also 98, SL is WIP; ++ arm, room for development.
    10th rnd HS SS Jake Overbay
    Scouts also expect him to make it to college because he doesn’t have a standout tool. He’s athletic and competes well, having played quarterback in football, and has a nice swing to go with his rangy, projectable frame. Overbey is just a fair runner and didn’t show enough explosiveness this spring with the bat for most teams to consider buying out his college commitment.
    15th rnd OF Ryan Garvey (Steve's kid),
    Baseball America
    His best tool is his above-average raw power. Scouts like his swing and think he has a chance to hit for average once he refines his approach, because he does swing and miss more than they’d like. Strong and physical but not terribly athletic at 6-foot-1, 195 pounds. He has above-average arm strength, but it was erratic when he has played third base. He’s a below-average runner who figures to wind up at first base or left field, so his bat will have to carry him. He’s a tough sign who will likely wind up at school.
    21st rnd HS C Riley Moore
    Baseball America
    Long, lean projectable build (6-2/180); switch-hitter, + bat speed/+ LH power potential, + arm strength.
    27th Rnd LHP Brandon Shull
    Baseball America
    Braden Shull is a 2011 LHP/ with a 6-6 215 lb. frame from Mt. Pleasant, IA who attends Mt. Pleasant. Big athletic pitchers build with long limbs, really looks the part. Uses his frame well to create good downhill leverage. Good movement on fastball with tailing action to the arm side. Good spin on curveball and nice shape, good feel for the pitch. Changeup is not as advanced as his fastball and curveball but a solid fourth pitch. Showed good potential with upper 80s cutter. Inconsistent lower half mechanics diminished command to glove side at present but commanded arm side of plate very well. Showed good pitchability and projects to improve all around. Excellent student, committed to Kansas State.
    It is assumed Greene and Quinn will sign. With T Greene signed for what's expected to be over 500k there's question whether the phillies will still pursue signing Walding. There have been rumors that Garvey already has agreed, but those rumors have been quashed and then popped up again, so who knows. Giles looks likely. Overbay looks unlikely. Moore unlikely, Schull possible.

Lots of discussion and more scouting reports at Phuturephillies here --> http://phuturephillies.com/the-draft/2011-draft-picks/

Signing deadline is August 15th.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Kenny Giles signed for $250k. Fastball has been clocked at 99 since the draft.

Tyler Green's signing bonus came in under what most people expected it would take to sign him. He signed for $375k.

My wishlist now:
      1) OF Greene (all but assured to sign)
      2) 2B/CF Quinn (all but assured)
      3) C Moore (Unlikely)
      4) SS Walding (50/50)
      5) OF Garvey (possible)
      6) LHP Shull (unlikely)
      7) LHP Maggard (unlikely)
      8) C Tommasatti (unlikely)
      9) LHP Hayden (unlikely)
      10) RHP Dygestile-Therrien (possible)
      11) SS Overbay (not happening)

Comment

Here's James at PhuturePhillies guesses on the chances of signing everyone:

We are closing in, and I wanted to quickly put this out here, as I’ve gotten a few emails on the subject. The signing deadline is on Monday, August 15th at midnight. We should know a few hour…

99% certain: Larry Greene Jr (1S)
        95% certain: Roman Quinn (2)
        65% certain: Mitchell Walding (5)
        50% certain: Ryan Garvey (15), Brandon Pletsch (34), Jesen Dygestile-Therrien (17), Braden Shull (27)
        20% certain: Jake Overbey (10), Riley Moore (21), Brett Maggard (38)
        10% certain: Brendon Hayden (36)
        5% certain: Tim Ponto (39), Everyone else not mentioned (too long to list them all out)
        0% certain: Zach Wright (6)

Anything can happen. For instance, if Roman Quinn doesn’t want to sign for $750K, maybe they offer $750K to Riley Moore, who has a rock solid college commitment. I believe there is a strong chance they could land everyone in the 50% certain and up group.
        I didn't realize they had a decent shot at Pletsch... I think I would slot him at 7.5 in my wish list above.

Comment

Larry Greene signs for 1 million

Comment

The dreaded PTBNL in the Pence deal is actually a really good one-From Philly.com:

The Phillies lost another of their top prospects Monday when the team announced that minor-league outfielder Domingo Santana has been assigned to the Houston Astros to complete the July 29 Hunter Pence trade.

That means the Astros acquired pitcher Jared Cosart, first baseman Jonathan Singleton, pitcher Josh Zeid and Santana in the deal. Cosart was considered the Phillies' best pitching prospect before the deal and Singleton was considered the best position player in the organization. It could be argued that Santana was the organization's best outfield prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              Larry Greene signs for 1 million
              Word on the street is 2nd round pick SS Roman Quinn is likely to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                The dreaded PTBNL in the Pence deal is actually a really good one-From Philly.com:

The Phillies lost another of their top prospects Monday when the team announced that minor-league outfielder Domingo Santana has been assigned to the Houston Astros to complete the July 29 Hunter Pence trade.

That means the Astros acquired pitcher Jared Cosart, first baseman Jonathan Singleton, pitcher Josh Zeid and Santana in the deal. Cosart was considered the Phillies' best pitching prospect before the deal and Singleton was considered the best position player in the organization. It could be argued that Santana was the organization's best outfield prospect.
                Yea, losing Santana is a bit of a hit. Along with Biddle and Valle, he was one of the guys I was hoping not to lose. No sure thing by any chance, his K rate is atrocious, but he's still one of the youngest guys playing in the SAL and his upside is huge. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  So what's up with Trevor May? The kid's strikeout rates are incredible but the results haven't really been there. Is it just control problems for him? How's his outlook in general?
                  I know Eld is out of the country, but I think he will be pleased with May's season. He's been posting fantastic numbers for the last month or so. For the season he has 131.1 IP, 101 hits, 56BB, 178K

Comment

Kenny Giles signed for $250k. Fastball has been clocked at 99 since the draft.

Tyler Green's signing bonus came in under what most people expected it would take to sign him. He signed for $375k.

My wishlist now:
                    1) OF Greene (all but assured to sign)
                    2) 2B/CF Quinn (all but assured)
                    3) C Moore (Unlikely)
                    4) SS Walding (50/50)
                    5) OF Garvey (possible)
                    6) LHP Shull (unlikely)
                    7) LHP Maggard (unlikely)
                    8) C Tommasatti (unlikely)
                    9) LHP Hayden (unlikely)
                    10) RHP Dygestile-Therrien (possible)
                    11) SS Overbay (not happening)
                    Still a half hour to go... I'm holding out hope for a Shull signing, but regardless it's been a good day. Phils sign Greene, Quinn, Walding and Dygestile-Therrien at the deadline. With T. Greene, Quinn and Walding the phils have added 3 nice prep middle infielders this draft. Something the system sorely needed.

Comment

Went to bed at 4am thinking I had read everything that was going to happen, but multiple websites are saying the phillies signed Shull as well. Happy day!

Comment

Went to bed at 4am thinking I had read everything that was going to happen, but multiple websites are saying the phillies signed Shull as well. Happy day!
                        Sweeet! Nice job by the Phils yesterday. Overall, looks like a nice draft class.

Comment

Schwimmer gets the call to the big leagues. He's one of several live bullpen arms in the minors (DeFratus/Aumont likely September callups). All three with a chance to stick next year ala Stutes/Bastardo this year.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                            Schwimmer gets the call to the big leagues. He's one of several live bullpen arms in the minors (DeFratus/Aumont likely September callups). All three with a chance to stick next year ala Stutes/Bastardo this year.
                            Agreed... it's why I'm okay with saving some $$$ if they need to let Madson walk so they can keep Jimmy. Galvis has had an eye-opening season this year, but he's still young and I still don't have complete faith in his O. Another full year in AAA and if he does this again then maybe, but I'd rather sign Jimmy for 3 years and go with the young bull-pen.

Gratz Schwim!

Comment

Was thinking about a top 10 right now... With Brown graduating, Singleton, Cosart and Santan leaving, Colvin seeming lost right now the top 10 is in chaos... off the top of my head I think I'd go:

1) Biddle
                              2) May
                              3) Valle
                              4) Colvin
                              5) Aumont
                              6) Altherr
                              7) Galvis
                              8) James
                              9) Collier
                              10) Pointer

6-10 there is just me throwing darts though... I think 5-20 are interchangeable. Everyone is so young again that it will take seasons to shake out.

Comment

I'd probably have to include DeFratus and Schwimmer in there since there's a good chance that they'll be in the majors next year. I guess it's how you're defining your group.

Comment

Working...
                                X