No announcement yet.

The "Greatest One Hit Wonder" Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit in the Sky is such a catchy tune. The Greenbaum name of the songwriter got me curious. He was Jewish, and wanted to just make it about God generically, or use a Jewish name for God (not sure which would work, really, probably Yahweh or Hashem as Adonai has three syllables). But he thought Jesus was more marketable. How can a song about Jesus and fueled by captialism not be a top one hit wonder of all time in America .

Comment

• Sweet 16 Results are in! 23 votes.

#1 Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) 13, vs #13 Walking in Memphis 10
      This was a LOT closer than I had thought it would be, and I'm glad to see Marc Cohn get beaten by a girl.

#1 Come on Eileen 16, vs #4 96 Tears 7
      There is no question -- 96 Tears has been defeated.

#1 Play That Funky Music 15, vs #5 Signs 8
      The Five Man Electrical Band will have to start playing funk.

#1 Hooked on a Feeling 15, vs #4 Walking on Sunshine 8
      The Judge Jude fave meets its demise at the hands of the Ooga Chakas.

#2 Jump Around 11, vs #11 Flirtin With Disaster 12
      There will be no jumpin around for House of Pain, who flirted with disaster and ended in a world of pain as the 1st #2 seed to be ousted.

#2 Melt with You 11, vs #11 In a Big Country 12
      Modern English melts away at the hands of the Scots.

#2 Stuck in the Middle With You 17, vs #3 Video Killed the Radio Star 6
      Stealers Wheel killed the radio star in this rout.

#2 Groove is in the Heart 11, vs #6 Spirit in the Sky 12
      Another #2 seed gone as the Jewish capitalist moves on.

Comment

• Great Eight
        #1 Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) vs #6 Spirit in the Sky
        #1 Come on Eileen vs #2 Stuck in the Middle With You
        #1 Play That Funky Music vs #11 In a Big Country
        #1 Hooked on a Feeling vs #11 Flirtin With Disaster

Comment

• Flirtin' with Disaster in the Elite 8, oy vey!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Flirtin' with Disaster in the Elite 8, oy vey!
            Best song left!! with In a Big Country a close 2nd. As long as Brandy or Spirit in the Sky doesn't win this thing. Hooked on a Feeling is pretty lame too.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Best song left!! with In a Big Country a close 2nd. As long as Brandy or Spirit in the Sky doesn't win this thing. Hooked on a Feeling is pretty lame too.
              Lol ok
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Lol ok
                You beg to differ??
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by mithrandir View Post
                  best song left!! With in a big country a close 2nd.
                  yes!!
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Apparently the groan over Kermit sings rockabilly advancing yet again was heard before I did it

Comment

• The guitarist for Molly Hatchet just passed away a few weeks ago, so the entire lineup from its heyday has died.

Comment

Flirtin' with Disaster in the Elite 8, oy vey!
                        Perhaps people are voting for it just to troll you and Swampdragon?
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          or because it.......RAWKS!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            If I agreed with you we both would be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              This entire dreadful experience is to troll me - but I will still vote

c'mon people - WHIP IT GOOD

Comment

• 4cywvw.jpg

Flirtin indeed!

Comment

Working...
                                X