Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential MLB Rule changes

Wow ...

The two most notable changes that’ll jump out to readers are surely the Union’s proposal for a universal designated hitter — possibly beginning as soon as the 2019 season — and the league’s proposal that all pitchers must face a minimum of three hitters per appearance (barring an injury). Other especially notable concepts under discussion include expanding standard rosters to 26 players and shrinking September rosters to 28 players. Both were proposed by the league with an eye toward the 2020 season.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...e-changes.html
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Facing 3 hitters would speed the game up. At first blush I kind of like it. Limits some strategy, but may create so new ones as well.

I do not like universal DH. I like it the way it is. That said the Cards could keep my $4 Jose Martinez and give him all the abs...so there is that.

Not sure why Sept. Rosters need to be shrunk?

Comment

I can't imagine NL teams voting for the DH in two months when most already have established their rosters.
      It would have changed the bidding on free agents, and maybe even impacted a trade or two.

plus if it ain't broke, don't fix it. there's a whole major league out there for DH lovers
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The 3 hitters thing is really dumb. What if you get 2 outs and the inning is over? I guess it's a little less dumb if it's implemented with the DH, because otherwise are you really going to make that pitcher bat? Make the team do a double-switch?

Even if you do it with the DH, though, making relievers sit down and warm up again seems like a good way to get them injured.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          The 3 hitters thing is really dumb. What if you get 2 outs and the inning is over? I guess it's a little less dumb if it's implemented with the DH, because otherwise are you really going to make that pitcher bat? Make the team do a double-switch?

Even if you do it with the DH, though, making relievers sit down and warm up again seems like a good way to get them injured.
          They could say 3 hitters or end of an inning that would not effect the speed of the game which I believe the rule is trying to speed up

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
            They could say 3 hitters or end of an inning that would not effect the speed of the game which I believe the rule is trying to speed up
            I didn't like it at first for the reason's JC pointed out, but this version of it would make sense. It would speed things up a bit, but not require relievers to bat or come in for another inning.

The DH in 2019 is totally nuts. As JJ says, no way NL teams would be on board with that. Long term, who knows, but no way in 2019.

Comment

From Jeff Passan's article:
              MLB and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic rule changes, sources told ESPN. A three-batter minimum for pitchers, a universal DH and a 20-second pitch clock are among the items discussed.

The three-batter minimum for pitchers, first reported by The Athletic, is perhaps the most controversial measure, as it would ostensibly eliminate a job created by modern bullpen use: the one-out left-handed reliever. MLB's proposal of the idea illustrates the league's concern with both time and pace of game, as constant bullpen shuffling has contributed to the average game time lasting longer than three hours. The rule would apply to all pitchers, except in instances in which pitchers finish an inning or are injured, sources said.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

And what I'm hearing is that NL DH is unlikely for 2019, although owners are meeting today, so we shall see...
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

My idea for NL DH - if you pinch-hit (and/or pinch-run) for the 9th slot, the original player can remain in the game. And anyone who leaves a game can return 9 innings later. So there is no dh, but you can pinch hit for your pitcher (or worst hitting fielder) and leave them in.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    And what I'm hearing is that NL DH is unlikely for 2019, although owners are meeting today, so we shall see...
                    I would love to see a poll of fans of NL teams and what percentage of them want the DH
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I love, love , love the 3 batter minimum rule with the finishing an inning or injury proviso. For me there is nothing more tedious in baseball than the parade of relief pitchers in the latter innings. PLEASE bring this in.

Comment

The NHL made a very bold move a few years ago to go 3 on 3 for overtime. Just an outstanding move that has added a huge amount of excitement and shorter overtimes to the game.

This would be akin to say removing an IF and an OF for extra innings. Purists would cry rivers over this, as some of the hockey purists did, but why the hell not do it? Next to the tedious relief pitcher changes, the next biggest tedious thing is long extra inning games into the night.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                          The NHL made a very bold move a few years ago to go 3 on 3 for overtime. Just an outstanding move that has added a huge amount of excitement and shorter overtimes to the game.

This would be akin to say removing an IF and an OF for extra innings. Purists would cry rivers over this, as some of the hockey purists did, but why the hell not do it? Next to the tedious relief pitcher changes, the next biggest tedious thing is long extra inning games into the night.

NHL players are bigger and faster yet the surface of ice remains the same. I would endorse and embrace 4 on 4 plus goalies as a way of life in regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                            I love, love , love the 3 batter minimum rule with the finishing an inning or injury proviso. For me there is nothing more tedious in baseball than the parade of relief pitchers in the latter innings. PLEASE bring this in.
                            I think this is horrible. It is just another way to give the offense the advantage. And, as an aging lefty myself (okay, I'll 44 and never could crack 68 on a radar gun in inflated ball park gimmicks) it just hurts. If this rule is approved, they should also approve a rule that you cannot take out a hitter after a pitching change or announce a pinch-hitter and then not have him bat, and so long as the rule in in effect (i.e. the pitcher has to stay in), then no pinch-hitting. MLB is so all over the place on this. They want pace of play improved, but want more offense, which causes the opposite. And they always have their national broadcasts skew to Yanks-Red Sox, which are always the longest games. They want to make games shorter by reducing the games and increasing the commercials. If they really want shorter games, just acknowledge that it is a new game and make it seven innings.

Comment

I used to be a fan of all the NL managerial strategies such as using multiple middle and late inning pinch hitters and all of the double switches that go along with them. But i've grown weary of watching .080 hitting pitchers get multiple early game at bats and seeing the daily box scores resemble the all-star game box score with so many substitutions. I am now in favor of a National League designated hitter with the possibility of seeing nine good hitters bat the entire game for their team.

I think MLB is finally getting to the root of the problem with the game becoming boring for the casual fan. It's the excessive pitching changes that are most responsible for slowing down the pace of the games. So, implementing the National League DH and having a 3 batter minimum rule are steps in the right direction IMO.

And how about really shaking things up in extra innings and making sure the fans and players never have to endure another 18 inning marathon again. Simply require teams to use 8 fielders in the 10th inning, 7 fielders in the 11th inning, etc. You could cap it at 4 fielders (P, C, + 2 more) if it ever got to that point. And the managers can really earn their money there by deciding where to place less than 9 defenders. That would actually be fun to watch and the fans who stick around to watch the entire game will get rewarded with the chance to see something really unique. Tradition and bullpen ratios be damned.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X