2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Which is still a few million short of actually signing him.
    You could be right. But $330 mil is my entry into the "what will it take to sign Harper" sweepstakes. And I suspect Machado is the big-ticket player the Yankees really want moreso than Harper.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      You could be right. But $330 mil is my entry into the "what will it take to sign Harper" sweepstakes. And I suspect Machado is the big-ticket player the Yankees really want moreso than Harper.
      Machado makes more sense for the Yankees.

I think there will be a pretty good number of teams trying to sign him. This would include both Chicago teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Machado makes more sense for the Yankees.

I think there will be a pretty good number of teams trying to sign him. This would include both Chicago teams.
        But does he? They have a top ROTY candidate in Miguel Andujar at 3B; Gregorius at SS when he comes back; and Torres at 2B. Where would Machado play? Unless they're planning on Wally Pipping Gregorius or Andujar?

Yes, Andujar's defense is a liability. And yes, they could sign Machado and trade Andujar. But the Yanks are righty heavy, and they really need pitching, so futzing around with their infield just to stick it to other teams in the Machado hunt would be silly. They just did that with Stanton and now they're stuck with a one-dimensional, injury prone, poor fielder with an albatross, no-trade clause contract for 9 more years.

The Yanks should (and will) trade Sonny Gray for a left-handed bat. Adam Eaton? Eric Thames? Kole Cahoun? Justin Bour? Re-sign Happ, try to sign Corbin or Keuchel, and bring on a utility infielder to cover for DiDi.

But knowing the Yanks, they'll probably sign Machado anyway!

Comment

• I expect:
          - they sign Machado to play SS.
          - Gregorius misses all of 2019 with the TJS (not buying the "back in June!" claim), and they worry about him in 2020.

and yeah, I don't think Machado is their best play, either
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            But knowing the Yanks, they'll probably sign Machado anyway!
            Agree. And once they make that step to blow through the salary cap/penalty, they can still sign two pitchers if they want. And keep Gardner for another year.

Comment

• I'd rather they sign McCutchen than Gardner. Or even trade Gray for Adam Eaton (as Revo suggested), though I'm not sure they'd be able to get Eaton for Gray, his value must be about zero at this point.

I'm ok with Corbin; depending on the contract. Same with Happ. Severino and Tanaka are the only definite pitchers in the rotation at this point. So those four and maybe Sheffield or Adams would be a big improvement. I love CC but I think it's time to move on from him.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I'd rather they sign McCutchen than Gardner. Or even trade Gray for Adam Eaton (as Revo suggested), though I'm not sure they'd be able to get Eaton for Gray, his value must be about zero at this point.

I'm ok with Corbin; depending on the contract. Same with Happ. Severino and Tanaka are the only definite pitchers in the rotation at this point. So those four and maybe Sheffield or Adams would be a big improvement. I love CC but I think it's time to move on from him.
                I was reading that the Nats want to move Eaton to clear room for Robles (leaving their OF as Taylor, Soto & Robles, with the assumption that Bryce is a goner). They definitely need a starter, and Eaton is owed $8.4m next season (Gray is arb eligible).

Comment

• Even with his pretty horrific season, I doubt Gray gets less in his final year of arb, so he's likely at least a $7 mil player next year. If I were the Nats, I'd make the Yankees send buckets of cash over with Gray if I were to deal Eaton.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Even with his pretty horrific season, I doubt Gray gets less in his final year of arb, so he's likely at least a $7 mil player next year. If I were the Nats, I'd make the Yankees send buckets of cash over with Gray if I were to deal Eaton.
                    agreed. I saw a comment in a thread that the Jays should offer Aledmys Diaz for Gray given the Didi situation - that might be in the ballpark.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      agreed. I saw a comment in a thread that the Jays should offer Aledmys Diaz for Gray given the Didi situation - that might be in the ballpark.
                      If the Yanks aren’t raping the Jays in a deal, they’re not really interested.

Comment

• Yanks re-signed Brett Gardner to a one year, $7.5m deal (+$2m buyout),

Comment

Yanks re-signed Brett Gardner to a one year, $7.5m deal (+$2m buyout),
                          Down goes Frazier.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yanks re-signed Brett Gardner to a one year, $7.5m deal (+$2m buyout),
                            Yeah, I found that an interesting approach; the Yanks end up paying him 9.5M for 1 year, as opposed to just keeping him for 2 years for 14M. I suppose they prefer having that extra 4.5M next year as opposed to Gardner under contract for 2020.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Down goes Frazier.
                              Line of the year!

Comment

• Jeff Passan
                                ‏1 minute ago

D.J. LeMahieu is in agreement with the New York Yankees on a two-year deal, league sources tell ESPN.
                                I guess this makes Tulo a spare part or Andujar is going to sit frequently. Machado may be out of the Yankees plans now as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X