Cubs! I am very sad at you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    “We’re certainly going to be active, but we need to be active in a way that we feel like we’re getting the right value for the dollars we’re spending,” Hoyer said. “And we’re also making sure that we’re not hindering ourselves going forward with expenditures for right now.” -Jed Hoyer yesterday.

So I guess we are not getting any of the top pitching free agents ever again.
    There, fixed it for you.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I will believe when I see it:

Ricketts has publicly indicated for the first time in several years that the club plans to spend to some extent this winter.

“We have the resources necessary to compete in 2022 and beyond, and we will use them,” Ricketts wrote in a letter to season ticketholders Friday. “We will be active in free agency and continue to make thoughtful decisions to bolster our roster.” He goes on to stress that the organization “respects” the “high expectations” of fans and shares their desire to win. “We commit to fielding a competitive team reflective of your unrivaled support,” Ricketts added.

Comment

I will believe when I see it:

Ricketts has publicly indicated for the first time in several years that the club plans to spend to some extent this winter.

“We have the resources necessary to compete in 2022 and beyond, and we will use them,” Ricketts wrote in a letter to season ticketholders Friday. “We will be active in free agency and continue to make thoughtful decisions to bolster our roster.” He goes on to stress that the organization “respects” the “high expectations” of fans and shares their desire to win. “We commit to fielding a competitive team reflective of your unrivaled support,” Ricketts added.
        Imagine how much more they could compete in 2022 if they hadn't tanked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Imagine how much more they could compete in 2022 if they hadn't tanked.
          2018-2020 the Cubs were in the top 3 for team salary with about $191m.

Now they are down to $39m in guaranteed contracts.

I doubt they will go back to the top 3, but what is reasonable to spend this coming year? How about $160m?

There are a lot of free agents. Now is a time to go buy some good core building blocks.

They can actually afford anyone they want. Of course that does not mean the player wants to come here and be part of rebuilding. I hope not to be sad at you in the Spring.

Comment

I can't imagine spending $120 million in annual salary in one offseason on free agents being a good strategy, either financially OR on the field. You want your team to build up a base through the system and then add free agents to fill the holes.

The problem with building through free agency is that you have zero discounts. You are competing against teams with extra value due to pre-arb players, and you have fully bloated contracts. Unless you just vastly outspend them, or out-luck them, you aren't going to keep up with those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I can't imagine spending $120 million in annual salary in one offseason on free agents being a good strategy, either financially OR on the field. You want your team to build up a base through the system and then add free agents to fill the holes.

The problem with building through free agency is that you have zero discounts. You are competing against teams with extra value due to pre-arb players, and you have fully bloated contracts. Unless you just vastly outspend them, or out-luck them, you aren't going to keep up with those teams.
              You make very good points and I appreciate them.

It is probably why one writer suggested we work out deals with players in the last year of their contracts on teams that want to shed salary. The A's are one of those teams.

As for me I do not want to wait another 5 years for the process you describe. They need to get some at market value players to fill the stat sheets as well as the seats and tv viewership.

Cubs you want my money, you want to use your sponsor's products, you better not make me more sad at you! Make your team exciting and competitive.

Comment

2018-2020 the Cubs were in the top 3 for team salary with about $191m.

Now they are down to $39m in guaranteed contracts.

I doubt they will go back to the top 3, but what is reasonable to spend this coming year? How about $160m?

There are a lot of free agents. Now is a time to go buy some good core building blocks.

They can actually afford anyone they want. Of course that does not mean the player wants to come here and be part of rebuilding. I hope not to be sad at you in the Spring.
                I think you're going to be sad at them. My read is your owners are more focused on cash stream than winning games.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I think you're going to be sad at them. My read is your owners are more focused on cash stream than winning games.
                  Pirates owner Bob Nutting has proven to the other owners that losing is very profitable. And some are going to follow his lead.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

You make very good points and I appreciate them.

It is probably why one writer suggested we work out deals with players in the last year of their contracts on teams that want to shed salary. The A's are one of those teams.

As for me I do not want to wait another 5 years for the process you describe. They need to get some at market value players to fill the stat sheets as well as the seats and tv viewership.

Cubs you want my money, you want to use your sponsor's products, you better not make me more sad at you! Make your team exciting and competitive.
                    I think the Miley signing is a good move. Now go get one of the top FA pitching studs!

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Pirates owner Bob Nutting has proven to the other owners that losing is very profitable. And some are going to follow his lead.
                      This just in: Cubs reportedly among the teams at least "gauging the market" for the top shortstops.

I have seen this before. They make an offer that they are certain will not get the player and then tell the fan base they did their best to sign them. I sure hope they prove me wrong.

Comment

This just in: Cubs reportedly among the teams at least "gauging the market" for the top shortstops.

I have seen this before. They make an offer that they are certain will not get the player and then tell the fan base they did their best to sign them. I sure hope they prove me wrong.
                        What is the over/under on the most the Cubs will spend for a single free agent this off season?

Comment

What is the over/under on the most the Cubs will spend for a single free agent this off season?
                          Whatever Niko Goodrum's asking price is, i'm sure the Cubs will give it to him.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Cubs are 10-18. Eight games out of first place on 5/10. Only 2 behind the Pirates. On target to lose 100 games.

The rumors are that Contreras is going to be traded. The one year contracts are worthless in trades.

There is literally no reason to go watch a Cubs game this year. None of the first three opening games were sold out. The opener sold 35k of 40k but that is not how many were actually in attendance.

Owners you need to be aware that there is something worse than fans being sad at you. It is when they stop caring.

Comment

Strong rumor that the Cubs are going to go hard after Jose Abreu. Seems like the I am very sad at you season is starting early.

Comment

Strong rumor that the Cubs are going to go hard after Jose Abreu. Seems like the I am very sad at you season is starting early.
                                It's more rebuilding and no real push for contending so prepare yourself for more sadness.

Comment

Working...
                                X