Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    KS, based on the numbers, what are your thoughts on the daily new deaths count continuing to go down? It surprised me. I guess we are getting better at treating it?
    I don't think we'll really know the impact of this recent surge in new cases for possibly another week or so. If deaths stay low at that point, then I think we can be optimistic that better treatments are making a difference. Right now I think it's still too early. It's only roughly a week or so ago that we really hit the inflection point on the second wave, and from what I remember from the first wave, it takes 2-3 weeks for people to die, as morbid as that is to discuss.

Hospitalizations are definitely surging, so we can be confident this isn't just a case of increased testing or more testing of a younger population. But whether that will lead to a big increase of deaths I think is still unknown.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I don't think we'll really know the impact of this recent surge in new cases for possibly another week or so. If deaths stay low at that point, then I think we can be optimistic that better treatments are making a difference. Right now I think it's still too early. It's only roughly a week or so ago that we really hit the inflection point on the second wave, and from what I remember from the first wave, it takes 2-3 weeks for people to die, as morbid as that is to discuss.

Hospitalizations are definitely surging, so we can be confident this isn't just a case of increased testing or more testing of a younger population. But whether that will lead to a big increase of deaths I think is still unknown.
      That's a great point - our surge started around June 16th, and I guess the average mortality time is around 14 days. So still have a few days before we will know

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Yep, I've noted that the recent surge is practically all in the southern states for reasons I dont know. The northern states got hit hard in the 1st wave, particularly the northeast, but they dont seem to be experiencing a 2nd wave yet. Actually, California and Louisiana are not surging so much as the other southern states.

Comment

• Florida has shut down all bars again as the state saw almost 9,000 cases yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Florida has shut down all bars again as the state saw almost 9,000 cases yesterday.
            Florida residents must be so thankful they opened them up for a few weeks.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• What's the latest on CA universities? I mean, I should probably know, but I don't.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Numbers coming out of Mexico have to be off--200K confirmed cases with 25K deaths--
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  What's the latest on CA universities? I mean, I should probably know, but I don't.
                  Community Colleges in So Cal are doing as much of it as they can online with only a few lab type classes being offered on campus. UC's are doing much of the same. My wife will be doing her entire schedule from the house.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    Florida residents must be so thankful they opened them up for a few weeks.
                    yeah, who could have ever seen this happening..........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      yeah, who could have ever seen this happening..........
                      It's shocking, really. First it was the huge amount of tests, then the migrant workers, before Dumpy Jr. down there ran out of excuses.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        What's the latest on CA universities? I mean, I should probably know, but I don't.
                        I believe Cal State universities said online for fall, but Cal Poly rebelled and said they will be at school. Subject to change of course. Not sure about Univ of California
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I predict a "Mission Accomplished" Covid briefing from 45 today.

I could be wrong, but then again--Maybe Nots.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            Yep, I've noted that the recent surge is practically all in the southern states for reasons I dont know. The northern states got hit hard in the 1st wave, particularly the northeast, but they dont seem to be experiencing a 2nd wave yet. Actually, California and Louisiana are not surging so much as the other southern states.
                            Reasons you don't know? Isn't it pretty generally following party lines? That's what I've seen locally.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              I believe Cal State universities said online for fall, but Cal Poly rebelled and said they will be at school. Subject to change of course. Not sure about Univ of California
                              Yeah not sure about Cal State, I know there's a big push for students in the UC system to be allowed to break leases they signed in preparation of having to be AT or IN school. It's a mess as some landlords are being cool and others are demanding leases be honored.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                Reason's you don't know? Isn't it pretty generally following party lines? That's what I've seen locally.
                                This is what I see as well, with a "I'm young and indestructible" outlier

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X