• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    My Dad was Madison Class of 1960.
    Did he participate in any activities?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Did he participate in any activities?
      I'll ask him, but my understanding is that while he was good enough to play basketball at City College, he was not good enough to make the team at Madison, and that he therefore played soccer instead.

Comment

I'll ask him, but my understanding is that while he was good enough to play basketball at City College, he was not good enough to make the team at Madison, and that he therefore played soccer instead.
        My dad was on the bowling team, and I also have that team photo. So if he bowled, he's there. Did you ask him if he knew my dad (or Bernie)?

Comment

My dad was on the bowling team, and I also have that team photo. So if he bowled, he's there. Did you ask him if he knew my dad (or Bernie)?
          I know he didn't personally know Bernie Sanders. Did your dad go by Robert or Bob or Bobby?

Comment

I know he didn't personally know Bernie Sanders. Did your dad go by Robert or Bob or Bobby?
            Bobby.

Comment

Bobby.
              No, he doesn't recognize your dad's name. He reminded me that they had 5,000 kids at Madison - around 1,250 per grade. Under Bloomberg-Klein most of those big schools were broken up into "academies" of 2,000 or less.

Comment

• https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...rimary-1067107

sticking with the NYC theme:

"Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is eyeing a new member of House Democratic leadership as a 2020 primary target: Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.).

Ocasio-Cortez, who ousted House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley earlier this year in a shocking primary victory, put colleagues on notice for future primaries just days after the November election, telling a livestream audience that she and an allied group, Justice Democrats, would keep working together to boost anti-incumbent challengers — though she didn’t name names. But a person who has discussed the project with Ocasio-Cortez and her team said the congresswoman-elect has recruited an African-American woman to challenge Jeffries, who was just elected to replace Crowley as caucus chairman — the No. 5 House Democratic leadership position.

Challenging Jeffries would open an audacious new front in Ocasio-Cortez’s efforts to steer the direction of the Democratic Party, pitting her and allies against a rising-star African-American Democrat seen by some as a potential future speaker of the House. It would also set off another intra-party New York City brawl — Jeffries’ Brooklyn district is just a few miles south of Ocasio-Cortez’s Bronx-and-Queens seat — that would peak just as Democrats hope to rally around a presidential nominee in mid-2020.

Jeffries has sparked the ire of Justice Democrats for several reasons. The group feels Jeffries takes too much money from corporate interests, a key litmus test, and is overly friendly with banking and pro-charter school interests. But Ocasio-Cortez is also unhappy that a campaign donation to her from Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) was allegedly used in a whisper campaign against Lee before her narrow loss to Jeffries in the recent race for Democratic caucus chair.

“It’s personal for Ocasio,” said the person who spoke with Ocasio-Cortez and her staff. "And she’s going to go all out to take him out.”
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• In the last two days, the Trump Re-Election Campaign committee swallowed up the RNC re-election campaign committee, and today South Carolina announced it may cancel its 2020 primary to protect Trump. Both are measures designed to protect Trump from any primary challenges.

Comment

In the last two days, the Trump Re-Election Campaign committee swallowed up the RNC re-election campaign committee, and today South Carolina announced it may cancel its 2020 primary to protect Trump. Both are measures designed to protect Trump from any primary challenges.
                    I hope that Average Joe wakes up to see the both the Dems and Reps do all they can to make sure their "chosen" candidate has no competition.

What this is all about is truly voter suppression.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                      I hope that Average Joe wakes up to see the both the Dems and Reps do all they can to make sure their "chosen" candidate has no competition.

What this is all about is truly voter suppression.
                      I wouldnt say its voter suppression per se' - it is however the State or National Party doing their best to have their wunderkind get on the ballot and through the primary process as unscathed as possible.

While I dont know if Trump has a hand in this or not - it is pretty clear that this has happened in recent elections at the National level. For as frequently as the HRC nomination has been bandied about as her getting a stacked deck - the RNC should be avoiding this optic as much as possible at both the State and National levels.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        I wouldnt say its voter suppression per se' - it is however the State or National Party doing their best to have their wunderkind get on the ballot and through the primary process as unscathed as possible.

While I dont know if Trump has a hand in this or not - it is pretty clear that this has happened in recent elections at the National level. For as frequently as the HRC nomination has been bandied about as her getting a stacked deck - the RNC should be avoiding this optic as much as possible at both the State and National levels.
                        Exactly. And SC did cancel their Republican primary in 2004 in support of Bush, but he wasn’t facing a primary fight like Trump is likely to.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                          My point being that the party is suppressing your opportunity for vote for your candidate. Everyone tells you the primaries are more important than the general election, and you have no voice.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            My point being that the party is suppressing your opportunity for vote for your candidate. Everyone tells you the primaries are more important than the general election, and you have no voice.
                            I understand what you are saying, but as has been pointed out during the prior election cycle - the parties themselves get to set the rules on who even gets to be on their platform - literally and figuratively. The people dont actually nominate - the party does and the people affirm, by vote, which candidate will move on. You may think that Joe Smith would be a great Presidential candidate, but if the party doesnt like him (and he doesnt raise enough money) he wont see the light of day - and you cant walk into the party and nominate him for the ballot. So "your candidate" may never actually ever be an option to vote for - except via write in.
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• I had to pass this one along. It compares the 2020 Democratic primaries to March Madness.
                              How Democrats’ 2020 Battle Resembles a Basketball Tournament
                              It’s way too soon to anoint a presidential front-runner. But not to draw brackets in a race to a Final Four.

The Insider Bracket
                              The Liberal Bracket
                              The Diversity Bracket
                              The Outsider Bracket

In a final four of bracket winners, almost anything could happen. Party power brokers will have less say than ever before after Democrats foolishly downgraded the nominating role of elected officials. So it’s hard to predict any outcome, but here’s one possible new wrinkle. Electability rarely has been a voting issue for Democrats, but this time – more than ideology, age or geography – an edge may go to the candidate seen as best able to end the Trump nightmare.

Won't it be a downer if trump declines to run again.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Nikki Haley deletes her Twitter account to start a new one, amid speculation that she is launching a primary nomination fight vs. Trump. Wow, this could be an even more crowded field than the Dems! Jeff Flake, John Kasich, Nikki Haley, dare I say Mitt Romney.....come on in, the water's fine!

Comment

Working...
                                X