Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Daiky News circling the wagons:
    Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring’s admission that, as a 19-year-old in 1980, he wore what could be considered blackface, may be a blessing in disguise. Coming just days after the revela…

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Looks like Amy Klobuchar is about the enter the race, she's got a big event planned for Sunday in Minneapolis.
      Excellent. I'm very interested in learning more about her vision, but my current impressions of her are very positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        Um...are there contexts where appearing in blackface in the distant past might be forgiveable? Maybe. Like if you and a black friend each "portrayed" each other's race as part of a presentation to send up racism and stereotypes. Or your parents put you in blackface at age 9 when you said you wanted to be Michael Jordan for Halloween and you realize now how frickin' creepy that is. But the Northam photo is clearly unforgiveable.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          Um...are there contexts where appearing in blackface in the distant past might be forgiveable? Maybe. Like if you and a black friend each "portrayed" each other's race as part of a presentation to send up racism and stereotypes. Or your parents put you in blackface at age 9 when you said you wanted to be Michael Jordan for Halloween and you realize now how frickin' creepy that is. But the Northam photo is clearly unforgiveable.
          Sure, but I suspect that’s not why the NYDN chose to write that article. I would guess it have more to do with the total meltdown of the Executive Branch in Virginia and the very real possibility a Republican could become Governor.
          Edit to add: always amazed at the free pass Jimmy Kimmel gets fro his loving Karl Malone impersonation

Comment

• "Like if you and a black friend each "portrayed" each other's race as part of a presentation to send up racism and stereotypes."

In Florida last year, it came out that one year when they were young, one white elected official and his best friend - who is black - decided to dress as each other for Halloween.
            the black friend gave interviews where he said basically, 'nothing to see here, move it along' - and his pal got re-elected.

the Klan hood in that photo puts it over the top for me re Northam. and how the hell did that photo make it into the yearbook anyway? it was the mid-1980s, not the mid-1930s.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              "Like if you and a black friend each "portrayed" each other's race as part of a presentation to send up racism and stereotypes."

In Florida last year, it came out that one year when they were young, one white elected official and his best friend - who is black - decided to dress as each other for Halloween.
              the black friend gave interviews where he said basically, 'nothing to see here, move it along' - and his pal got re-elected.

the Klan hood in that photo puts it over the top for me re Northam. and how the hell did that photo make it into the yearbook anyway? it was the mid-1980s, not the mid-1930s.
              Because it's the south and they're about 50 years behind regarding race relations.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• FiveThirtyEight has an analysis of the question we've been discussing about whether a "moderate" could win the Democratic nomination (and an analysis of who the "moderate" Democratic primary voters are).

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  FiveThirtyEight has an analysis of the question we've been discussing about whether a "moderate" could win the Democratic nomination (and an analysis of who the "moderate" Democratic primary voters are).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ratic-primary/
                  Good article. I think Biden will win the nomination. Obama will be all in for him.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Good article. I think Biden will win the nomination. Obama will be all in for him.
                    His age is a bit scary, but I agree he has a good chance...hindsight is a bitch, but I'm betting Obama wishes he'd gone all in for him in 2016.

Comment

How do you feel about that?

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        How do you feel about that?
                        He wouldn't be my first choice but I'm extremely confident he would crush Trump.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

He wouldn't be my first choice but I'm extremely confident he would crush Trump.
                          Not my first (or second or third) choice, either, and I wish I was more confident he'd win.

Comment

• That may be possible, just keep him away from little girls with long hair.....
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                              That may be possible, just keep him away from little girls with long hair.....
                              I think that meme is way overblown. If Biden were really a creep with respect to little girls, he sure as heck wouldn't nuzzle their hair on camera with their parents present. It's one of those things where his opponents are making something creepy that's really just harmless, non-sexual affection and warmth toward children.

Comment

• and seriously, hasn't your current president destroyed every sexual taboo anyway?
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X