Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    It's funny how she is under constant attack from the right yet when she responds she gets criticized some more for responding. In other words, "unlikeable", just like almost every other strong female Democratic leader. I love her response and willingness not take any shit from her opponents.
    She is exceedingly likeable. Even the people that have been pretending to hate her secretly love her. It's true.

Comment

• What a strange attempt of a hit on AOC. oooh footage was dug up from her school days that she smiled and danced with friends. And btw, absolutely none of these people should be getting paid, or have medical, or have their special parking space, or any other damn perk, until shut down is over with. AOC is right, as at that point this over compensated bunch of idgits would lock themselves in congress until shut down over and make this something that never happens again.

Comment

• It amazes me how terrified the GOPers are of a 27-year old neophyte who has 2 days of service under her belt.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          It amazes me how terrified the GOPers are of a 27-year old neophyte who has 2 days of service under her belt.
          They need a boogeywoman to account for their "Lock Her Up" chants. And, they see in her the future of this country and it's fucking grim for them.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            AOC will be interesting to watch. In my mind she is overly idealistic and will probably find frustration that the game isnt played how she wants it to be played. We will see where her tenure leads, but I will admit when I heard her say that Congress shouldnt be getting paid during the "outage" - well it is one thing I can agree with her on.
            Hold off on your agreement for a minute. Those rules might not apply to her.
            WASHINGTON – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez still won’t say whether she’s giving up her salary during the partial government shutdown — a move she previously advocated for all lawmakers. “I’ve…

Comment

• Rules might not apply to her? Your changing entirely what her premise was, which was that as a body it is shameful for congress to be collecting a paycheck when they arent doing their job. To decide what she really meant was she, solely, was volunteering to surrender her salary, this freshman who has never drawn a buck, to the exclusion of these politicians who have held office for decades and are multi multi millionaires for doing nothing but voting lock step with their marching orders. She would be for codified legislation that as a body, all of congress should have pay withheld during shutdowns, not that, hey, while I am yelling at you in hall, are in you going to give back your 1st paycheck.

This reminds me when a number of the US most wealthy billionaires, including Buffett, volunteered that really the super rich should pay more in taxes than they do... When pressed, Mr. Buffett will you be giving more to taxes, Buffett pointed out to the imbecile that is not how taxes work, they are not a pay what you want exercise, that is not what he was putting forth, and that he was stating as a body super rich should pay more. Is this a hard distinction to understand? No, of course not, but this was a Post article, so it is not a newspaper of the news variety, but of the tabloid kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                Rules might not apply to her? Your changing entirely what her premise was, which was that as a body it is shameful for congress to be collecting a paycheck when they arent doing their job. To decide what she really meant was she, solely, was volunteering to surrender her salary, this freshman who has never drawn a buck, to the exclusion of these politicians who have held office for decades and are multi multi millionaires for doing nothing but voting lock step with their marching orders. She would be for codified legislation that as a body, all of congress should have pay withheld during shutdowns, not that, hey, while I am yelling at you in hall, are in you going to give back your 1st paycheck.

This reminds me when a number of the US most wealthy billionaires, including Buffett, volunteered that really the super rich should pay more in taxes than they do... When pressed, Mr. Buffett will you be giving more to taxes, Buffett pointed out to the imbecile that is not how taxes work, they are not a pay what you want exercise, that is not what he was putting forth, and that he was stating as a body super rich should pay more. Is this a hard distinction to understand? No, of course not, but this was a Post article, so it is not a newspaper of the news variety, but of the tabloid kind.
                Lot of verbal contortions there. Well done.
                So, is she collecting a check or not?
                PS- love the attack on the NY Post. We have guys linking Slate, a former Clinton Administration member etc, but the NY Post is a bridge too far I guess. The same basic article is available on other sources as well, though probably none of the sycophantic ones.
                PSS- her 70% tax rate is a sure winner too

Comment

• Ben Shapiro on tweeter responding AOC 70% tax proposal regarding the new House majority.

@benshapiro
                  Literally all they have to do is not be bats*** insane. And they just can't do it.

Also from today:

@benshapiro
                  Media: AOC IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE! SHE'S SOOOO IMPORTANT!
                  Conservatives: Okay. That's scary. Her policy is insane.
                  Media: LOOK, SHE'S DANCING! YOU HATE THAT!
                  Conservatives: Nah, her policy is just insane.
                  Media: WHY ARE YOU SO OBSESSED WITH HER?
                  Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-04-2019, 11:08 PM.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                    What a strange attempt of a hit on AOC. oooh footage was dug up from her school days that she smiled and danced with friends. And btw, absolutely none of these people should be getting paid, or have medical, or have their special parking space, or any other damn perk, until shut down is over with. AOC is right, as at that point this over compensated bunch of idgits would lock themselves in congress until shut down over and make this something that never happens again.
                    Yes, that was about as stupid of a hit job as I can think of. I still think way too much weight and hype is being put on her at this stage when she is totally new to all of this, shows her inexperience, and hasn't actually done much yet. But her response to this was perfect. As B-Fly says, she is very likeable. Charm and passion go a long way in politics, and she has both.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      It amazes me how terrified the GOPers are of a 27-year old neophyte who has 2 days of service under her belt.
                      Are they? I think you’re buying into the narrative promoted by CNN and NSNBC. I suppose Fox is the real source, but which non-media Republicans are terrified of her? I think this liberal conspiracy is way overrated.

I’m not a fan of her politics and I think she’s pretty inexperienced but I like her energy and I think she’s interesting. She and other newbs may be the catalysts to make Congress function once again. And, she’s kind of cute, especially when she’s dancing.

If we’re going to believe conspiracies then here’s the conservative one that I’ve seen floating around: AOC or one her staff released the video through an anonymous tweeter account and created the controversy just for fundraising purposes knowing this would cause liberals to donate to her. Also the new Congress woman who MF Trump knew what she was doing and did it for the same reason.

Conspiracy theories work both ways.
                      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-05-2019, 09:35 AM.
                      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        She is exceedingly likeable. Even the people that have been pretending to hate her secretly love her. It's true.
                        Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        They need a boogeywoman to account for their "Lock Her Up" chants. And, they see in her the future of this country and it's fucking grim for them.
                        Fascinating. I have seen almost no criticism from Republicans; I see it from old-line Democrats. Republicans think of her as the flavor of the month and lean toward amusement.

Maybe it's just this part of the country.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          Fascinating. I have seen almost no criticism from Republicans; I see it from old-line Democrats. Republicans think of her as the flavor of the month and lean toward amusement.

Maybe it's just this part of the country.

J
                          Wow, really? Have you ever tuned into Fox News and see how they criticized her for not only these recent comments, but when she claimed she couldn't afford to buy clothes, they dissected her wardrobe? Really J, it's like you're in some nether world.

Maybe this will help:
                          Dean Obeidallah writes that Fox News has become obsessed with analyzing, critiquing and pontificating on congresswoman-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, suggesting she’s become their new go-to “villain” to keep audiences engaged.

Comment

• I'm more frightened by men that are frightened by women that curse and dance than the women
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              AOC is growing awesomer by the day. Loving both the dance video leaked to embarrass her and her response to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...rnd/index.html
                              I was traveling. which Republican elected officials or pundits complained about some dance video? that seems silly.

meanwhile, did anyone see this Anderson Cooper interview of her? wtf? this is after she earned 4 Pinocchios from the Washington Post for her dopey claim that "66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon. And that’s before our premiums."

(spoiler alert: she's really bad at both math AND reading)

Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday said people are less concerned "with being factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

"If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees," she told Cooper. "I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

[this pitch sounds vaguely familiar, but from a different bottle. I just can't quite place it....]

and I don't mind the initial error so much. well, it's a huge error, but we're all human. but already she seems to be settling into the "never admit your mistake" game. that Caesar salad in the House lunchroom seems to be fast-acting on the newcomers.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                I was traveling. which Republican elected officials or pundits complained about some dance video? that seems silly.

meanwhile, did anyone see this Anderson Cooper interview of her? wtf? this is after she earned 4 Pinocchios from the Washington Post for her dopey claim that "66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon. And that’s before our premiums."

(spoiler alert: she's really bad at both math AND reading)

Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday said people are less concerned "with being factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

"If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees," she told Cooper. "I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

[this pitch sounds vaguely familiar, but from a different bottle. I just can't quite place it....]

and I don't mind the initial error so much. well, it's a huge error, but we're all human. but already she seems to be settling into the "never admit your mistake" game. that Caesar salad in the House lunchroom seems to be fast-acting on the newcomers.
                                Stop it with the whataboutism!

When it comes to AOC, I love that she has fresh ideas and passion. I was a little disappoint with her interview on 60 Minutes. You can't have it both ways.
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X