Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason Rumor Thread

Put all da rumors here!

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune, the Padres are planning to pursue Stephen Strasburg this offseason. Strasburg had $100 million left on his 7-year, $175 million deal with the Nationals, so he's looking for more guaranteed money. The Padres, in addition to offering the Southern California native some familiarity, could write a big check for the second offseason in a row.

Comment

Apparently both his parents and his wife’s parents live in SD. Can’t see how this doesn’t factor into his decision given he now has a ring and SD is the best place in the US to live. No brainer to me over DC especially if Rendon walks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
        Apparently both his parents and his wife’s parents live in SD. Can’t see how this doesn’t factor into his decision given he now has a ring and SD is the best place in the US to live. No brainer to me over DC especially if Rendon walks.
        Unless of course he doesn't get along with them. Then farther is better.

But I do agree that this seems like a no brainer.

Comment

Clint Frazier seems to be an obvious choice for Yankee trade bait. Is anyone sniffing?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            Clint Frazier seems to be an obvious choice for Yankee trade bait. Is anyone sniffing?
            Can't imagine anyone would pay much if so. He has been terrible. Especially in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Can't imagine anyone would pay much if so. He has been terrible. Especially in the field.
              His defense has been substandard for a guy with some speed, but the bat has been respectable--.267/.317/.489, 12 HR in 246 PA. It's enough to make you wonder what he would do with regular playing time.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

His defense has been substandard for a guy with some speed, but the bat has been respectable--.267/.317/.489, 12 HR in 246 PA. It's enough to make you wonder what he would do with regular playing time.
                I'm not really that impressed with a .267/.317/.478 line. And I'm not really seeing speed.

Looks like a 4th outfielder or a platoon bat at best (his splits against LHP were terrible last year).

Outside of the name recognition for being a Yankee, how is he significantly different than a guy like Jake Cave?
                Last edited by Ken; 11-07-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I'm not really that impressed with a .267/.317/.478 line. And I'm not really seeing speed.

Looks like a 4th outfielder or a platoon bat at best (his splits against LHP were terrible last year).

Outside of the name recognition for being a Yankee, how is he significantly different than a guy like Jake Cave?
                  You mean 26 year old Jake Cave that plays for Minn. The one who made it through dollar days in our AL only 12 team 5x5 and managed to get through about 15 free picks in the reserve round only to find himself a sweet sweet bench role on the Hard Boiled Gregg's? That Jake Cave?

He has more potential than Clint Frazier.

Comment

Read Atlanta is going to make a hard push for MadBum.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      You mean 26 year old Jake Cave that plays for Minn. The one who made it through dollar days in our AL only 12 team 5x5 and managed to get through about 15 free picks in the reserve round only to find himself a sweet sweet bench role on the Hard Boiled Gregg's? That Jake Cave?

He has more potential than Clint Frazier.
                      I would not have thought of the comp, but why is Cave preferable, other than he's a platoonable LHH? For starters, he's almost 2 years older and has less power. Defensively, I don't see much difference in the basic stats.

Frazier's biggest problem is the high pick expectations. He looks like an OK 3rd OF/DH sort of player. More to the point, he looks cheap to obtain.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I would not have thought of the comp
                        You're welcome

but why is Cave preferable, other than he's a platoonable LHH? For starters, he's almost 2 years older
                        For me they are very similar, which I think speaks to Frazier's LACK of trade value. The Yankees DFA'd Cave and traded him for a low level pitching prospect.

and has less power.
                        Not really following you here. .204 ISO vs .209 ISO. Looks pretty much the same to me.

Defensively, I don't see much difference in the basic stats.
                        I'd look deeper. Frazier has accumulated -1.7 dWAR in just 123 games. Cave is pretty close to replacement level in the OF at -.5 across 163 games.

Frazier's biggest problem is the high pick expectations. He looks like an OK 3rd OF/DH sort of player. More to the point, he looks cheap to obtain.
                        I'm slightly confused. The topic started out by me saying that he wouldn't return much of anything in a trade and the counter is that he's a good guy to trade for because he's cheap to obtain? Huh/what?

Comment

I'm slightly confused. The topic started out by me saying that he wouldn't return much of anything in a trade and the counter is that he's a good guy to trade for because he's cheap to obtain? Huh/what?
                          Hey, that is my argument for trading for Cespedes!

Comment

You're welcome
                            For me they are very similar, which I think speaks to Frazier's LACK of trade value. The Yankees DFA'd Cave and traded him for a low level pitching prospect.
                            Not really following you here. .204 ISO vs .209 ISO. Looks pretty much the same to me.
                            I'd look deeper. Frazier has accumulated -1.7 dWAR in just 123 games. Cave is pretty close to replacement level in the OF at -.5 across 163 games.
                            I also don't think he will bring much in a trade, but I think his 1st round draftpick status will keep the price up enough to spoil the market.

I guess you're right about being a true DH defensively. He isn't physically slow, but he plays really bad D. That said, his arm is good enough that can play RF no worse than LF. My point was that I expect the Yankees to move him and that he may have some value if he can get 500 AB.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

"I also don't think he [CFrazier] will bring much in a trade, but I think his 1st round draftpick status will keep the price up enough to spoil the market."

I assume you are talking about a weak fantasy league and not MLB?

a good tell on a player is when the fanatics who call local sports talk radio always try to make the same guy the centerpiece in any trade. even those dimwits know enough to try to dump him, yet they propose a trade that would make the other MLB clubs laugh.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X