No announcement yet.

Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The irony is calling "whataboutism" when discussing gerrymandering. The relative impact of each side doing it is probably about 90-10 in favor of Republicans but keep on focusing on that 10 to pretend it's 50-50.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      fyi, the NJ gerrymandering wilted in the light of day and now is off the table....
      To their extreme credit, the progressive NJ 11th for Change group, which protested every week outside Rep. Frelinghuysen's office and was viewed by many as largely responsible for leading Frelinghuysen to retire and flipping that longtime red district blue, was very active in advocating against the idea of Democrats re-districting to gerrymander the state in their favor.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Show me where I've defended gerrymandering from any state? Don't spend much time as it'll be a futile effort.
        Attempting to discredit opponent (Republicans) - Check!
        Claiming something else is worse (Republican acceptance of gerrymandering) - Check!
        Failing to address the initial claim (Democratic scumbaggery) - Check!

The call on the field is confirmed.

Correct "no whataboutism" response: Yes, the sociopaths in the New Jersey Democratc Party leadership were behaving like absolute scumbags. I'm glad the "good government" folks in their rank and file rejected their scumbaggery.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Attempting to discredit opponent (Republicans) - Check!
          Claiming something else is worse (Republican acceptance of gerrymandering) - Check!
          Failing to address the initial claim (Democratic scumbaggery) - Check!

The call on the field is confirmed.

Correct "no what-about-ism" response: Yes, the sociopaths in the New Jersey Democratc Party leadership were behaving like absolute scumbags. I'm glad the "good government" folks in their rank and file rejected their scumbaggery.
          All that from this sentence: "Hmmm, maybe one side isn't as crooked as the other?" Damn, I missed my calling!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

The irony is calling "whataboutism" when discussing gerrymandering. The relative impact of each side doing it is probably about 90-10 in favor of Republicans but keep on focusing on that 10 to pretend it's 50-50.
            Well, since the most recent attempt at gerrymandering came from Democrats, it would make sense that JJ would bring it up. But, to quote you, feel free to show me where I support gerrymandering by either team. Don’t spend too much time, it will be a futile effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
              Well, since the most recent attempt at gerrymandering came from Democrats, it would make sense that JJ would bring it up. But, to quote you, feel free to show me where I support gerrymandering by either team. Don’t spend too much time, it will be a futile effort.
              If you're seriously claiming that Republicans have similarly resisted efforts at gerrymandering, I've got a magical bridge to heaven powered by fairy dust and rainbows to sell you...1/2 off retail!
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

The irony is calling "whataboutism" when discussing gerrymandering. The relative impact of each side doing it is probably about 90-10 in favor of Republicans but keep on focusing on that 10 to pretend it's 50-50.
                Using "their side is worse" to avoid acknowledging and examining your own party's behavior - Check!
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Using "their side is worse" to avoid acknowledging and examining your own party's behavior - Check!
                  Dude, the behavior being discussed is that it was scrapped!
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

All that from this sentence: "Hmmm, maybe one side isn't as crooked as the other?" Damn, I missed my calling!
                    Backpedaling when called on what you obviously meant - Check!

Comment

• Apparently it wasn't clear but I was referring to the efforts of those who got the NJ leadership to back down, not on the crooked leaders themselves. It seems fairly obvious to me but just wanted to be clear.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Backpedaling when called on what you obviously meant - Check!
                        You got me spinning my wheels!
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Dude, the behavior being discussed is that it was scrapped!
                          Oh, sorry. I'll trust that you already let the New Jersey Democrats have it with both barrels when it was first brought up.

Comment

If you're seriously claiming that Republicans have similarly resisted efforts at gerrymandering, I've got a magical bridge to heaven powered by fairy dust and rainbows to sell you...1/2 off retail!
                            Yeah, I didn’t claim that so keep your fairy dust. We were talking about NJ gerrymandering not Republican gerrymandering in NC, WI or Pa. I am sorry it upsets you that every post can’t be anti -GOP but occasionally your team does some bad stuff too.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                              Yeah, I didn’t claim that so keep your fairy dust. We were talking about NJ gerrymandering not Republican gerrymandering in NC, WI or Pa. I am sorry it upsets you that every post can’t be anti -GOP but occasionally your team does some bad stuff too.
                              Yes, and JJ's comment that I was responding to was the fact that it wasn't actually happening! Sort of a big difference, no? And as is well-documented I've been critical of Democrats on a number of issues. But keep on trying to pigeon-hold me as a Democratic cheerleader. It's my personal fairy dust that keeps me coming back for more!
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• It's actually a pretty common debate in Democratic/Liberal/Progressive bubbles whether "our side" should be taking an ends-justify-the-means approach (which Democrats largely perceive the Republicans as having done far more ruthlessly and consistently), or whether we should "go high", to reference the Michelle Obama speech, and operate with respect for our institutions, political norms and general rules of fair play, even if that means that the GOP will "win" more than they should given the number of voters who support their platform/policies versus the number who support the Democrats' platform/policies. I've always leaned pretty strongly toward "go high", but it can be frustrating and it sometimes feels like "going high" is a loser's play.

Comment

Working...
                                X