Miggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miggy

Word out of Detroit that Miggy might hang it up this season. His knee is hurting him making it tough to play. He is going to discuss this with medical people, Avila, AJ, Illich and his agent. He has nothing left to prove and has been a joy to watch but this season he hasn't played a single inning at first, he runs like a truck stuck in 2nd gear, his power is gone and as DH he is just a single hitter. I have been watching him all year and since July he is hitting under .200. It would be best for the Tiger organization if Miggy decides to hang it up but I'm sure they will abide by whatever he decides.

He's got 40 million guarenteed over the next 2 seasons (32 million in '23, and an 8 million dollar buyout in '24), so I can't see any player leaving that kind of money on the table.

Maybe the Tigers can negotiate something with him, spread the money over a longer period of time, who knows? But I suspect you'll see Miggy in the Tigers Uniform next season.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      He's got 40 million guarenteed over the next 2 seasons (32 million in '23, and an 8 million dollar buyout in '24), so I can't see any player leaving that kind of money on the table.

Maybe the Tigers can negotiate something with him, spread the money over a longer period of time, who knows? But I suspect you'll see Miggy in the Tigers Uniform next season.
      I'm not clear why the contract should matter to the team at this point. For a 29 year old on a big contract, I'd get it, you want to have him keep playing trying to re-establish the player that you thought you were buying. For a 39 year old, it's just a sunk cost, and if they team and player are smart they won't shoot themselves in the foot by keeping him around blocking other players. He's been a negative WAR player for a couple years now, it's time for him to move on. Great, great career, but playing for 2 more years would be crazy.

Comment

I'm pretty sure his agent talked to Miggy, said what the WTH are you doing and had him yesterday announced that he will play through 2023. Why leave 32 mil and then 8 mil to buy him out after next season on the table. What I expect that Miggy will play in less games the rest of the year and during the off season he and his agent will have conversations with the Tigers regarding next year. He will get paid, have a Miggy Day, stay with the Tigers in some capacity and ride off into the sunset. What the Tigers will not do is waived Miggy. I agree with Ken that Miggy who has nothing left to prove and for the Tigers it is time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          I'm not clear why the contract should matter to the team at this point. For a 29 year old on a big contract, I'd get it, you want to have him keep playing trying to re-establish the player that you thought you were buying. For a 39 year old, it's just a sunk cost, and if they team and player are smart they won't shoot themselves in the foot by keeping him around blocking other players. He's been a negative WAR player for a couple years now, it's time for him to move on. Great, great career, but playing for 2 more years would be crazy.
          Contract probably matters to both parties. If the team could renegotiate to get him to spread the money out over a longer period of time, better for them. Miggy is owed the money regardless, unless he retires, which he clearly isn't going to do. Highly doubtful the Tigers release him, IMO.

And nobody is moving on and leaving 40 million on the table...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Contract probably matters to both parties. If the team could renegotiate to get him to spread the money out over a longer period of time, better for them. Miggy is owed the money regardless, unless he retires, which he clearly isn't going to do. Highly doubtful the Tigers release him, IMO.

And nobody is moving on and leaving 40 million on the table...
            Feels like we are talking about different things.

The contract should not matter to Detroit as it relates to whether he PLAYS or not. That's a sunk cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Feels like we are talking about different things.

The contract should not matter to Detroit as it relates to whether he PLAYS or not. That's a sunk cost.
              It absolutely is a sunk cost, and we may indeed be talking past each other. But, IMO, no way does Detroit part ways with him next year, the following year, of course, they'll exercise the 8 million dollar buy out.

You'll have your Miggy farewell tour in 2023 and he'll probably be reduced to playing a few times a week.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
              X