Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBA '21-'22 Thread

Wonderful news (*sigh*)

Ronald Blum of the Associated Press reports that Major League Baseball is "almost certain" to have a work stoppage when the current CBA expires on December 2.
    As Blum writes it, the players and owners have been negotiating dating back to last spring, but there just hasn't been enough momentum to suggest that a new deal will be reached by the time the current five-year contract expires. There are simply too many issues to be worked out, including the players' cut of the pie, as well as service time considerations, tanking teams, and other factors. At minimum, a work stoppage will put a freeze on the free agent market (and result in the cancelation of the Winter Meetings), but it could also delay the start of spring training. Hopefully it won't actually delay the start of the 2022 MLB season, but time will tell. MLB hasn't had a work stoppage since 1994-1995. It would be potentially devastating to the sport to see it happen once again, especially with concerns about reaching younger fans.

I'm hopeful the recent news of MILB housing was an olive branch to get the negotiations moving in a positive direction, but I'm fearful we get nothing until February. It will be a nightmare projection/writeup wise this winter with free agents frozen and then very late rushes to sign contracts.

Comment

I didn't realize tanking teams were that high on the MLBPA's list.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I didn't realize tanking teams were that high on the MLBPA's list.
        It's likely the salary cap floor and cap which relates to tanking teams since that's the manner some feel will "fix" it.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
          It's likely the salary cap floor and cap which relates to tanking teams since that's the manner some feel will "fix" it.
          Interesting - I always thought a hard cap was in the no-fly zone for the union. Do you think they'd consider it if it came with a hard floor?
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Interesting - I always thought a hard cap was in the no-fly zone for the union. Do you think they'd consider it if it came with a hard floor?
            Not commenting on the either side's stance -- just clarifying how tanking teams relates to the negotiations.
            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Apparently MLB offered to change arbitration to be automatically based off of Fangraph's fWAR, instead of a 3-person arbitration panel.

Comment

Rob Manfred on hypothetical of a lockout: "We locked out in 89, 90. ... I don’t think 94 worked out too great for anybody. I think when you look at other sports the pattern has become to control the timing of the labor dispute. … It’s about avoiding doing damage to the season."

— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) November 18, 2021

So, expect your Hot Stove season to be destroyed.

Thanks again, Manfraud. And BTW, if using a lockout when there are no games is pressure, just wait for the now-inevitable player strike in February.

Honestly, worst commish of any sport ever right here.

Comment

The non-tender deadline was moved to Nov 30th from Dec 2nd, giving the non-tenders a couple of days to sign elsewhere before the lockout begins, so they got that going for them, which is nice.

Comment

Jeff Passan wrote a good article on ESPN+ where he believes many of the lower-level, AAAA types will head to Japan & Korea rather than wait around for the CBA to be worked out, which would cost them time and force a mad scramble for spots in February, when it's expected/hoped to be completed.

Comment

MLB & MLBPA have broken off talks for the day, so the lockout will officially start at 12:01am tonight, the first stoppage in 27 years. Expect no further signings or trades until February. Nice job, fellas!

Comment

Owners just voted unanimously to institute a lockout.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I hear industry folks saying that they still think there is a good chance that the season will start on time. I'm skeptical. In 1995 after the 1994 strike, IIRC they started in late April after a brief exhibition season. I think something similar happened in 1972. That's kinda what I expect to happen this time, too. I'd give it no more than 40% that the season starts on time.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            I hear industry folks saying that they still think there is a good chance that the season will start on time. I'm skeptical. In 1995 after the 1994 strike, IIRC they started in late April after a brief exhibition season. I think something similar happened in 1972. That's kinda what I expect to happen this time, too. I'd give it no more than 40% that the season starts on time.
                            They decimated a season just a year ago. Are they that stupid to decimate another one so soon? Hmmmm.....possibly.

So what happens to players who were DFA'd prior to 10 days ago? Are they in limbo until this gets settled?

Funny that MLB.com is also affected, and they can't publish any stories regarding current major leaguers. LOLOLOL. So if you want to read a story regarding that hot player in the news, Minnie Minoso, that's your place to go.

Comment

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred:

"This defensive lockout was necessary because the Players Association’s vision for Major League Baseball would threaten the ability of most teams to be competitive. It’s simply not a viable option. From the beginning, the MLBPA has been unwilling to move from their starting position, compromise, or collaborate on solutions."
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X