No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clevinger was still out there for my 6th round pick so I scooped him up.

1. Arenado
    2. Sale
    3. Bryant
    4. Buehler
    5. Pham
    6. Clevinger

First base is a fucking wasteland. Next best guys out there are Olson and Aguilar. Votto/Donaldson/Abreu all got picked one after the other --- I should have kept ahead of that trend. I'm not sold on Olson or Aguilar, so I might wait a little and pick a guy like Encarnacion. Careful, you can easily get left in the cold for 1B this year. Worst crop I can remember.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Daniel Murphy has 1B eligibility and he went the pick after Clevinger. Not sure if I would have drafted him there but his multipositional eligibility is nice.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        Clevinger was still out there for my 6th round pick so I scooped him up.

1. Arenado
        2. Sale
        3. Bryant
        4. Buehler
        5. Pham
        6. Clevinger

First base is a fucking wasteland. Next best guys out there are Olson and Aguilar. Votto/Donaldson/Abreu all got picked one after the other --- I should have kept ahead of that trend. I'm not sold on Olson or Aguilar, so I might wait a little and pick a guy like Encarnacion. Careful, you can easily get left in the cold for 1B this year. Worst crop I can remember.
        First base is definitely thinner than it's been. I actually like Olson but I would also be okay with waiting and going with Voit, Santana, Cron or Belt and maybe combining them with (Peter) Alonso.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          First base is definitely thinner than it's been. I actually like Olson but I would also be okay with waiting and going with Voit, Santana, Cron or Belt and maybe combining them with (Peter) Alonso.
          I think that has to be my plan now. Aguilar just got drafted in the 6th so it's slim pickins right now. I kind of like Belt as an under-the-radar option at this point - not great but an average to above-=average producer in 4 categories. Voit, too, but he's still a big question mark.

Edit: I might have to be careful with the BA slugs like Santana. Not sure if my team can support a Gallo or Santana, at least as it's curretly constructed. Maybe I can look at some empty BA guys later on to allow me flexibility.

Comment

• It only takes 1 episode of Brooklyn 99 to waste an otherwise productive evening.

Comment

• Team through 7:

1. Arenado
              2. Sale
              3. Bryant
              4. Buehler
              5. Pham
              6. Clevinger
              7. Dee Gordon

I'm relatively well-rounded now stats-wise and can go with just about any pick next couple rounds. Closers are going fast, but if I learned anything in the NFBC it's that you should never waste draft capital on closers. Just pick a shitload of quality MRs later and at least one or two will pan out over the 50 round draft.

Comment

Team through 7:

1. Arenado
                2. Sale
                3. Bryant
                4. Buehler
                5. Pham
                6. Clevinger
                7. Dee Gordon

I'm relatively well-rounded now stats-wise and can go with just about any pick next couple rounds. Closers are going fast, but if I learned anything in the NFBC it's that you should never waste draft capital on closers. Just pick a shitload of quality MRs later and at least one or two will pan out over the 50 round draft.
                Looking good but you need to add more power as I don't think we can pencil in Bryant for 30 hr's. Not hard to find power late, so that's the good thing.

Comment

Maybe I can look at some empty BA guys later on to allow me flexibility.
                  La Piña!
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    La Piña!
                    If that's who I think it is, I harbor a strong and probably irrational dislike for that guy that I'd need to overcome first. He did do a good job recovering from his, uh, oopsie though.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                      Looking good but you need to add more power as I don't think we can pencil in Bryant for 30 hr's. Not hard to find power late, so that's the good thing.
                      Yeah, a couple of those later 1Bs will actually work well for this concept --- Encarnacion and the like aren't super great these days but definitely still 30 HR threats.

Comment

• Damn, there are tons of 1Bs that are cut from the same low-BA, high-power cloth:

Santana
                        Encarnacion
                        Olson
                        Muncy
                        Gallo
                        Shaw
                        Sano
                        Smoak

I feel half tempted to try and wait it out until I end up with Miguel Cabrera. Who knows what you'll get with him but you might strike gold (or get jack dick).

Comment

If that's who I think it is, I harbor a strong and probably irrational dislike for that guy that I'd need to overcome first. He did do a good job recovering from his, uh, oopsie though.
                          From what I know about it, there was zero ill will or disrespect meant on his part. I don't know him well and this couldn't testify fully to this, but I saw no indications of him being either a racist or a jerk.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            From what I know about it, there was zero ill will or disrespect meant on his part. I don't know him well and this couldn't testify fully to this, but I saw no indications of him being either a racist or a jerk.
                            Yeah, that's essentially the unanimous take on the situation. My dislike is irrational and certainly colored by the terrible outcome. I thought his hat tip was a classy move. Certainly a far cry from Josh Hader.

I thought the fan reaction in both situations was very disappointing. Again, far moreso in Milwaukee. This kind of shit certainlyh doesn't deserve standing ovations.

Comment

Yeah, that's essentially the unanimous take on the situation. My dislike is irrational and certainly colored by the terrible outcome. I thought his hat tip was a classy move. Certainly a far cry from Josh Hader.

I thought the fan reaction in both situations was very disappointing. Again, far moreso in Milwaukee. This kind of shit certainlyh doesn't deserve standing ovations.
                              Yeah, I agree about the fan reaction. I understand some element of "this is our guy and we love him and the rest of the world is out to get him", but actually going so far as a standing ovation sends the wrong message in all kinds of ways. And betrays the fact a lot of America is made up of people who could elect Donald Trump and happily put Steve Bannon and Steven Miller in the White House.

Comment

• Holy smokes, I started reading the Amazon thread in the Hot Buttons forum, and I got about a page and a half into it before my head hurt so much I couldn't continue. A few people need to take some basic economics classes or history classes or something.

Disclosing mealy-mouthed, brainwashed "libertarians"

Comment

Working...
                                X