This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    And poor widdle Twumpy wumpy gets so vewy vewy upset when someone dares to criticize him, he publicly pouts and attacks. Awww, does anyone have a pacifier for widdle Twumpy wumpy?

That this draft dodging imbecile has such little respect for our military is horrifying.

Did you see the chastising tweet that the Republican senator and/or Republican house member made about these comments?
    Nope - neither did I, because it doesn't exist

Comment

• Trump’s peculiar usage of “dog” — which he has a long history of invoking as an insult. “Trump is the first US President in nearly 130 years not to have a dog,” former Republican Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh tweeted. “He doesn’t like dogs. He doesn’t understand dogs. Which says a lot about him.”

i wonder how connected to the Russian mafia Trump is. that's what immoral is. ..or does presidents usually publicly denounce dictators and the mafia, but privately do something else? Putin, Xi, Kim, and now Erdogan leaving Syria after a phone call with him. he really does like those types.

also, i like how generals might have problems with a so-called immoral leader. war can be bad. make you do crazy things. so you should have strong leadership at the top i guess. what makes a military the top policeman of the world? one that is the biggest or one like ours where you know it's not going to go somewhere and rape a city.

Comment

• Incoming Utah Senator Mitt Romney with a scathing op-ed on Trump in the Washington Post. Cue Widdle Twumpy Wumpy’s retaliatory tweet in 3, 2......

Comment

Incoming Utah Senator Mitt Romney with a scathing op-ed on Trump in the Washington Post. Cue Widdle Twumpy Wumpy’s retaliatory tweet in 3, 2......
          Let's see if Mitt has the backbone to actually vote against Trump...otherwise, he's simply the new Jeff Flake.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Let's see if Mitt has the backbone to actually vote against Trump...otherwise, he's simply the new Jeff Flake.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...paign=15586507

I am going with likely - nope

Comment

How will you keep score on his having or not having a backbone? I'm not attacking you, but I've seen this line of nonsense on several sites this morning.

If you're expecting an elected Republican to consistently vote against his constituents interests and those of his party because he thinks the party leader is a toolbag, well, that's just silly. If Romney showed this "backbone" that you and many other liberals are now seeking from him, wouldn't he just be a Democrat? He was elected as a Republican, so acting like an Independent or, worse yet, a Democrat, would be ridiculous and grounds for his recall. I think he explained what you can expect of him very well. Here are his words as written in the Op-Ed in today's WaPo:

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions last month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.

It is not that all of the president’s policies have been misguided. He was right to align U.S. corporate taxes with those of global competitors, to strip out excessive regulations, to crack down on China’s unfair trade practices, to reform criminal justice and to appoint conservative judges. These are policies mainstream Republicans have promoted for years. But policies and appointments are only a part of a presidency.

To a great degree, a presidency shapes the public character of the nation. A president should unite us and inspire us to follow “our better angels.” A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. As a nation, we have been blessed with presidents who have called on the greatness of the American spirit. With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                How will you keep score on his having or not having a backbone? I'm not attacking you, but I've seen this line of nonsense on several sites this morning.

If you're expecting an elected Republican to consistently vote against his constituents interests and those of his party because he thinks the party leader is a toolbag, well, that's just silly. If Romney showed this "backbone" that you and many other liberals are now seeking from him, wouldn't he just be a Democrat? He was elected as a Republican, so acting like an Independent or, worse yet, a Democrat, would be ridiculous and grounds for his recall. I think he explained what you can expect of him very well. Here are his words as written in the Op-Ed in today's WaPo:
                I read his comments, and I understand that he thinks that he needed to establish a new relationship with Trump. One that doesn't involve him being doormat. And I don't expect him to be a Democrat in any way, he's a lifelong Republican and will vote as such. BUT, I do expect him to actually vote against Trump on the occasion that he thinks that Donald is wrong. None of this Jeff Flake hand wringing, all talk and no action. If he genuinely believes that a bill that Trump and McConnell propose is wrong, then vote your conscience, it's what the people of Utah elected you to do. And if they don't like how you vote over the next 6 years, they'll vote him out.

Walk the walk as well as talk the talk. That's all I hope for.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I read his comments, and I understand that he thinks that he needed to establish a new relationship with Trump. One that doesn't involve him being doormat. And I don't expect him to be a Democrat in any way, he's a lifelong Republican and will vote as such. BUT, I do expect him to actually vote against Trump on the occasion that he thinks that Donald is wrong. None of this Jeff Flake hand wringing, all talk and no action. If he genuinely believes that a bill that Trump and McConnell propose is wrong, then vote your conscience, it's what the people of Utah elected you to do. And if they don't like how you vote over the next 6 years, they'll vote him out.

Walk the walk as well as talk the talk. That's all I hope for.
                  Maybe I am being intentionally dense, but what is it that Flake voted for that he should have voted against? If anything, Flake’s “handwringing”, as I believe you called it, slowed the GOP steamrolling of things down on occasion so more could be done to more thoughtfully and fully evaluate the substance of the matter. Republicans generally felt that the whole Kavanuagh mess was brought on as a political stunt by Dems. So when he finally cast his vote, he did what his constituents wanted him to do. I haven’t seen polling specific to AZ but I suspect they largely agreed. Again, not trying to argue, just trying to understand this notion that he, and now Romney, should vote against Trump. The vast majority of times I the last Congress that was something was voted on it was something Republicans wanted. Trump can’t bring votes forward and therefore when he wants to do something to subvert the normal process he does so through Ex. Orders. Flake and others in the GOP have often spoken out and challenged Trump’s use of Ex. Orders. Romney was one of those.

I suspect Romney will be the new John McCain not Jeff Flake.
                  Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-03-2019, 11:43 AM.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                    Maybe I am being intentionally dense, but what is it that Flake voted for that he should have voted against? If anything, Flake’s “handwringing”, as I believe you called it, slowed the GOP steamrolling of things down on occasion so more could be done to more thoughtfully and fully evaluate the substance of the matter. Republicans generally felt that the whole Kavanuagh mess was brought on as a political stunt by Dems. So when he finally cast his vote, he did what his constituents wanted him to do. I haven’t seen polling specific to AZ but I suspect they largely agreed. Again, not trying to argue, just trying to understand this notion that he, and now Romney, should vote against Trump. The vast majority of times I the last Congress that was something was voted on it was something Republicans wanted. Trump can’t bring votes forward and therefore when he wants to do something to subvert the normal process he does so through Ex. Orders. Flake and others in the GOP have often spoken out and challenged Trump’s use of Ex. Orders. Romney was one of those.

I suspect Romney will be the new John McCain not Jeff Flake.
                    Arizona was pretty closely divided between the republicans and Democrats this year, so I suspect that he may not have done what a large percentage of his constituents wanted on the Kavanaugh nomination. They elected a Democratic senator after all. Maybe a majority, but not necessarily large, the nation as a whole was pretty split along party lines, with the Independents going against his nomination.

But what about independents? As Democrats and Republicans became more deeply committed to their positions, independents slowly grew more aware of the nomination fight. Independents generally tend to be less politically engaged than partisans and, accordingly, only 31 percent reported hearing “a lot” about the nomination by Sept. 8.

At that point, a majority of independents with an opinion on the matter (64 percent) believed Kavanaugh was qualified, while a plurality thought he should be confirmed (29 percent-20 percent). However, in the three weeks since the allegations first surfaced, independent have become significantly more aware of — and more opposed to — the president’s nominee. By Sept. 22, 52 percent of them had heard “a lot” about the nomination, a number that rose to 65 percent by Sept. 29. This increased attention turned independent opinion against Kavanaugh, and as of today, those individuals firmly oppose his appointment to the court (43 percent-24 percent).

Again, not saying that he HAS to vote against Trump, he should do what his conscience dictates. But if he follows the lead of Flake, it's literally all talk and no action.

“I don’t think anybody expected, you know, what happened on Friday to happen. And I can’t say that I did, either,” Flake told CBS News’s Scott Pelley, adding later: “What I was seeing, experiencing, in an elevator and watching it in committee and just thinking, this is ripping our country apart.”

Two women who said they were sexual assault survivors confronted Flake in an elevator after he announced his plan to endorse Kavanaugh and tearily urged him to reconsider his position. The dramatic moment at the end of an already dramatic week was aired live on CNN.

Eyes were focused on Flake, a key swing vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination and a fierce critic of President Trump. In his “60 Minutes” interview, which aired two days later, Flake admitted that he would not have done what he did had he been up for reelection.

“No, not a chance,” Flake said.

“There’s no value to reaching across the aisle. There’s no currency for that anymore. There’s no incentive,” he added.

That's the kind of thinking that we as a nation need to eradicate...that's what I'm talking about. We know what Mitch McConnell is, he makes no bones about it, we know who Nancy Pelosi is, she makes no bones about it. BUT when a politician makes public pronouncements about the character and decisions that the President makes, I would expect them to occasionally follow suit by voting against a particularly repugnant position by that leader. Mitt has 6 years to do so...we'll see what happens. I hope that you're right about him being more McCain than Flake, Romney has shown in the past as Governor of Massachusetts that he was willing to take some bolder steps...fingers crossed.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Trump says the border wall is more important than federal employee's paychecks, and threatens to keep his shutdown going for "months, or a year." Essential employees who are not getting paid, like TSA screeners, are calling in sick in droves.

Really, the newly empowered Dems must be thanking their lucky stars for this buffoon. Pelosi & Schumer have played him like a fiddle.

Comment

Trump says the border wall is more important than federal employee's paychecks, and threatens to keep his shutdown going for "months, or a year." Essential employees who are not getting paid, like TSA screeners, are calling in sick in droves.

Really, the newly empowered Dems must be thanking their lucky stars for this buffoon. Pelosi & Schumer have played him like a fiddle.
                        Yup, and the hits just keep on coming for the dolt...today it was...wait for it...pay raises for senior administration execs! Really can't make this up...

With the federal government partially shut down and more than 800,000 workers not receiving paychecks, Vice President Pence and hundreds of senior political appointees in the Trump administration are about to receive annual pay raises of about $10,000 a year beginning Saturday, according to government documents and people with knowledge of the matter.

The pending raises are set to occur because a pay freeze included in federal law for top executives in 2013 and renewed each year will expire without legislative action by Saturday.
                        WaPo Alerts

Now I get that it's mandated by law at this point, but for fucks sake, get out in front of it and say that nobody's going to accept the raises, or that they'll be donated to charity.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• And just so I’m clear......border security is the #1 priority, and they’ll keep the government shut down for months or years — but by shutting down the government, border patrol agents won’t be paid? Do I have that right?

Comment

• yep.

Have to say, the TSA agents today at CLT were in good spirits despite no payday coming in the forseeable future

Comment

• New Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib of Michigan of Trump: "When your son looks at you and says, ‘Momma look, you won, bullies don’t win,’ and I said ‘Baby they don’t,’ because we’re going to go in there and we’re gonna impeach the motherfucker."

her kid is 13, if that matters.

this might be a good poll (especially with Ocasio-Cortez doubling down on it).

yay, or nay?
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                New Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib of Michigan of Trump: "When your son looks at you and says, ‘Momma look, you won, bullies don’t win,’ and I said ‘Baby they don’t,’ because we’re going to go in there and we’re gonna impeach the motherfucker."

her kid is 13, if that matters.

this might be a good poll (especially with Ocasio-Cortez doubling down on it).

yay, or nay?
                                So did former Canadian Prime Minister Kim Campbell:

Comment

Working...
                                X