This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
    wasnt the deal about a year ago, worked out bipartisan, and then landed on trump desk who rejected it, the best solution? it was 25 billion for border security, including the wall, in exchange for DACA amnesty. Wouldnt both sides find that to be vastly better than what we are looking at now? And its not so much a both sides thing, as most americans want relief given to DACA, so it would be a allowing the will of the people deal.
    Yes, it's exasperating how often we've seen "deals" announced and then walked back in a wave of mutual recriminations.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Our 2K troops were never going to make a difference in a war they had no authorization being a part of to begin with. I agree that Trump is not the man to be making these decisions but this is one of the few things he's done right IMO.
      The reason that we stay in places like Syria is this: We can prevent wholesale slaughter of a group of people. Erdogan has pretty much publicly announced today that he intends to go after both ISIS and the Kurds who were our allies in that region. That makes a difference to thousands of people who've been pretty loyal to the US. It's going to be the same in Afghanistan for women...we pull out and it's literally back to the stone age for them.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        The reason that we stay in places like Syria is this: We can prevent wholesale slaughter of a group of people. Erdogan has pretty much publicly announced today that he intends to go after both ISIS and the Kurds who were our allies in that region. That makes a difference to thousands of people who've been pretty loyal to the US. It's going to be the same in Afghanistan for women...we pull out and it's literally back to the stone age for them.
        That argument justifies deploying troops to countless locations and remaining in the middle east forever. No thanks.

Also, it ignores the destabilizing effect our troop presence has in the region.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Not a chance. Why would the Democrats cave on an issue that most Americans agree with them on now when Trump is in his weakest position? They're going to sit back and watch the petulant man-child further implode by forcing a shut-down when he doesn't get what he wants.
          show your pride when telling a DACA family member how much you "feel their pain"

though, not as much as you feel the joy in sticking it to an unstable, unpopular President. it's all about priorities, you see, and sorry, DACAs, stay in the back of the line. we have a pig to poke......
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            show your pride when telling a DACA family member how much you "feel their pain"

though, not as much as you feel the joy in sticking it to an unstable, unpopular President. it's all about priorities, you see, and sorry, DACAs, stay in the back of the line. we have a pig to poke......
            Spare me the moral relativism.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

That argument justifies deploying troops to countless locations and remaining in the middle east forever. No thanks.

Here is one where DMT and I agree. Maybe not for the same exact reason, but in my mind if citizens in countries want their freedoms they are the ones that are going to have to fight for it and gain it. How many efforts to "spread freedom" have failed because the places we go proselytizing the good news of freedom and human rights either arent ready or honestly just dont have a culture that believes that freedom is necessarily a good thing.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                Here is one where DMT and I agree. Maybe not for the same exact reason, but in my mind if citizens in countries want their freedoms they are the ones that are going to have to fight for it and gain it. How many efforts to "spread freedom" have failed because the places we go proselytizing the good news of freedom and human rights either arent ready or honestly just dont have a culture that believes that freedom is necessarily a good thing.
                That sounds pretty close to my reasoning as well. "Humanitarian interventionism" is the liberal equivalent of neo-conservatism.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Our 2K troops were never going to make a difference in a war they had no authorization being a part of to begin with. I agree that Trump is not the man to be making these decisions but this is one of the few things he's done right IMO.
                  I could not agree more.

Comment

That sounds pretty close to my reasoning as well. "Humanitarian interventionism" is the liberal equivalent of neo-conservatism.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      Yes!!
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Tim Ryan is my spirit animal here

Comment

I am afraid you haven't been following closely enough. The Democrats offered Trump $25B for Wall in exchange for a permanent DACA solution earlier this year, but Trump rejected it because he wanted to tack on additional restrictions on legal immigration (family reunification, diversity lottery, etc.). Since then, the courts have ruled that the President's cancellation of the DACA program was unlawful, so there is not as much urgency as there was a year ago.

Comment

• if the Democrats are making any effort to cut a new deal to solve DACA as part of this impasse, I'd be interested to read the link
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

No, but you do need to show that you have backbone to keep a commitment to an ally. The destabilizing action in each region is likely to come when we pull out. Thousands are likely to die, and despots and dictators will take it as a sign that they can do as they wish. Not to mention the next generation of terrorists is going to come from those regions.

Now, I'm not a big fan of getting into new arenas, but honor the commitments that you've made as a nation.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

if the Democrats are making any effort to cut a new deal to solve DACA as part of this impasse, I'd be interested to read the link
                                There's no reason to cut a deal, because the courts have ruled that Trump can't end DACA, and in January, there will be enough votes in both the Senate and the House to pass a clean DACA bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X