NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts:

(1) Texans - Clowney, Jadeveon DE - Hard to argue with this one. Situation is very similar to the one in 2006 (Bush/Mario). Pairing him with Watt is insane. Watt's attitude/work ethic should rub off on Clowney and ease any of those concerns. Do they make the Mallett trade or go Carr 2.0 in round 2?

(2) Rams (From Redskins) - Robinson, Greg OT - Love, love, love me some Zac Stacey right about now. If Tavon Austin can tap his potential on a consistent basis and Kenny Britt leaves his insanity behind him in TN, and, of course, if Sam Bradford can stay out of the ICU the Rams O is going to be kick ass. The NFC West is going to be a punch in the mouth.

(3) Jaguars - Bortles, Blake QB - I dunno, the jury is still out on him for me (sorry J). Seems like another bust-type pick in a long line of those kinds of picks for the Jags in recent years. I'm rooting for him, though but he's going in to a really tough situation with a really bad team. Hopefully, for him, he can survive the 1-15 Aikman-type year he's going to have this year and persevere and have a nice career. His mettle will certainly be tested with this coming year.

(4) Bills (From Browns) - Watkins, Sammy WR - The Stevie Johnson "era" certainly had it's final nail in the coffin with this pick. I like Watkins. A LOT! But the price paid to get him was certainly huge. Ball's in your hands, now, EJ...

(5) Raiders - Mack, Khalil OLB - Ugh, I hate it when the Raiduhs actually make a good move. Great pick (and an absolute no-brainer). With all the moves made by them this offseason, this is certainly going to be a different team.

(6) Falcons - Matthews, Jake OT - Solid, if unspectacular, pick here and another no-brainer for their needs. Bloodlines don't come any stronger with this one. He certainly has the midichlorian count in his blood (Sorry, been caught up too much in all the Star Wars news recently)

(7) Buccaneers - Evans, Mike WR - And MCCown (or Glennon?) should be firmly entrenched on fantasy radars now. As pointed out by one of you nerds earlier in the thread, pairing him with VJ is beastly (even though Jax is getting a bit long in the tooth)

(8) Browns (From Vikings) - Gilbert, Justin CB - Unexpected yet solid move. Have fun trying to throw on this pair of corners. Haden and Gilbert are going to make me re-think any time I have one of my fantasy receivers playing the Browns (crap, I've got AJ Green going against them 2 X a year). Gotta wonder, though, if they would've kept the #4 pick and taken Watkins to pair him with Gordon. Yeesh. No, seriously, imagine that!

(9) Vikings (From Bills through Browns) - Barr, Anthony OLB - Worth trading down for, I guess. Probably have a solid career but doesn't blow up my skirt.

(10) Lions - Ebron, Eric TE - So the Lions are going to try to win games 56-49? Stafford's arm might fall off by the end of the year. Still, after signing Pettigrew (manos de piedra) for $16 mil this is somewhat odd.

(11) Titans - Lewan, Taylor OT - Yup, ok

(12) Giants - Beckham, Odell WR - Well, Ruben Randle's fantasy stock should have hit the floor. Happy Manning.

(13) Rams - Donald, Aaron DT - My new non-favorite Charger team is now the Rams. Pairing him with Quinn is going to be almost as imposing as Watt/Clowney.

(14) Bears - Fuller, Kyle CB - Solid and addresses a need.

(15) Steelers - Shazier, Ryan OLB - See above

(16) Cowboys - Martin, Zack OT - Definitely cannot argue with this pick and, if you're a Cowboy fan, I guess your only hope was ABBM (Any body but Manziel). Still, they need to stop the other team's offense some time, don't they? Still, the Cowboy offensive line is starting to resemble the 90's glory days line.

17(17) Ravens - Mosley, C.J. ILB - They certainly need to rebuild that once-fearsome defense. Good first step.

(18) Jets - Pryor, Calvin FS - Great skills, good fit.

(19) Dolphins - James, Ja'Wuan OT - Kid is a beast. Fills a major hole

(20) Saints (From Cardinals) - Cooks, Brandin WR - Whoa boy, Drew Brees must've been creaming his jeans with this pick.

(21) Packers - Clinton-Dix, Ha Ha FS - Another great pick for the team's needs. Still, how do you not say his name without snickering like a Japanese school girl in a Sanrio store?

(22) Browns (From Eagles) - Manziel, Johnny QB - And here we go. Sorry, Browns fans, but you've just drafted Quinn v2. I just don't see him transitioning in to an NFL QB. The low-hanging fruit was there and you took it. Better off trading down and getting more picks and gambling on Carr/Bridgewater, IMO. I'll eat my socks if his career lasts more than 3 years.

(23) Chiefs - Ford, Dee DE - A tad surprising, but Tamba Hali is on the wrong side of 30 and his contract is up after this year. Still, seems WR (Lee?) would have been the play here so they can transition Mr. Inconsistent Bowe out of town.

(24) Bengals - Dennard, Darqueze CB - Nasty player. I was on the edge of my seat hoping he would have slipped one more pick to my Chargers. If Leon Hall can make a full return from injury, this is a nice pair of corners.

(25) Chargers - Verrett, Jason CB - I know he was the logical play here for a team in desperate need at this position, but I just don't like it. He's 5'9", 180 lbs with short arms. Receivers like Demayrius Thomas will own him. Great, we now have a guy who we can't have cover anyone over 6' tall! He'll get abused more than my Johnson when I spent 4 months in Alaska with no women in sight.

(26) Eagles (From Colts through Browns) - Fills a need but still thought they would've gone with one of the two first round caliber receivers left (Lee, Benjamin)

(27) Cardinals (From Saints) - Bucannon, Deone SS - Nice secondary the Cards have going here - Peterson, Honey Badger and now Bucannon. Seems like OL might have been addressed here, though.

(28) Panthers - Benjamin, Kelvin WR - I assume all the Panthers picks this year will be spent on the WR position.

(29) Patriots - Easley, Dominique DT - Wolfork's replacement?

(30) 49ers Ward, Jimmie SS - A team with not many needs addresses a luxury.

(31) Broncos - Roby, Bradley CB - The guy I was hoping the Chargers would go with to fix their CB need. I understand the off the field concerns, but not enough to overshadow his talent. The rich just got richer.

(32) Vikings (From Seahawks) - Bridgewater, Teddy QB - Boom or bust. Hard for me to get a read on this guy. Looked bad in big games. I'll really feel bad for Vikings fans if he doesn't pan out.

Comment

Gotta laugh at the Barr pick for the Vikes...all i've heard today from the commentators is "bust", "can be dominated", and "will quit". Sounds like a typical Viking reach. A tweener with great athleticism, but apparently not great football skills, other than an outside rush.

OTOH, Love the Teddy move...I'll take a guy who's shown it in games 7 days a week over a guy who had a great "pro day", whatever the hell that means. He can throw a football through a tire at 55 yards? Ohhhhhh My...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Bills trade Stevie Johnson to the Niners for a 2015 4th rounder

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Bills trade Stevie Johnson to the Niners for a 2015 4th rounder
          That's the best they could get for him? Wow...if he stays healthy and focused (2 Big IF's), he could have quite the impact in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
            That's the best they could get for him? Wow...if he stays healthy and focused (2 Big IF's), he could have quite the impact in SF.
            Seems like a good situation for him

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Gotta laugh at the Barr pick for the Vikes...all i've heard today from the commentators is "bust", "can be dominated", and "will quit". Sounds like a typical Viking reach. A tweener with great athleticism, but apparently not great football skills, other than an outside rush.

OTOH, Love the Teddy move...I'll take a guy who's shown it in games 7 days a week over a guy who had a great "pro day", whatever the hell that means. He can throw a football through a tire at 55 yards? Ohhhhhh My...

I agree some people just need game time to perform. I think I read a book from John Wooden once who had a player who was just a horrible Practice player he wasn't even going to stick him in a game but he remember his high school coach told him abut this player so he took a chance and played him. Turns out
              he was a stud in the game. Next Practice - he stunk again. I can't remember which player it was .

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                I agree some people just need game time to perform. I think I read a book from John Wooden once who had a player who was just a horrible Practice player he wasn't even going to stick him in a game but he remember his high school coach told him abut this player so he took a chance and played him. Turns out
                he was a stud in the game. Next Practice - he stunk again. I can't remember which player it was .
                Lew Alcindor
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                  (31) Broncos - Roby, Bradley CB - The guy I was hoping the Chargers would go with to fix their CB need. I understand the off the field concerns, but not enough to overshadow his talent. The rich just got richer.
                  Great review, BTW. This is the only one I really disagree with you on - you're gonna be very happy that he's not on your team and is on a team you play twice a year. His measurables are great. He can return punts. But he got abused by mid-level draft picks in man coverage. Northwestern beat him like a rented mule, you could almost see wide receivers lining up to pad their stats against him. And he's an awful tackler. And he does nothing to address the perception that Denver's D is soft.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    Lew Alcindor
                    No it wasn't Lew

Comment

Packers WR in the second round. Thompson is getting predictable. I'd have far better liked a DL here, especially a certain DT/NT that I think was still on the board.

And Nix goes two picks before their 3rd rounder. Grrrrr.
                      Last edited by chancellor; 05-09-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Man, why did Nix fall so far?
                        Only thing I can think of is that teams see him only as a NT in a 3-4 and not a DT in a 4-3. Ticked me off the Packers missed on him.

Your Raiders are doing well, IMO. They're giving me no ammo to give you a hard time...

Comment

Also, I don't love the Packers' pick of Richard Rodgers at all. He's pretty slow, has little experience, and is super injury-prone. Seems like a puzzling pick to me....
                          Same here. Three WRs baffle me too though the last two were good values

The Raiders are getting high grades by every draft site I've read. I know that's no guarantee, but it must be nice to know that you got some decent players
                          Last edited by chancellor; 05-11-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Jason Verrett, Chargers' 1st round pick:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510[/ATTACH]

He and Keenan Allen should become fast friends.

Comment

Working...
                            X