2 days into the season, 4 projected closers already down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    With Papelbon's velocity slipping and the Phillies seemingly a non-contender I had hoped to pick up his probable replacement...until I couldn't find one. I know Adams is coming back fairly soon, but it's hard to trust a guy coming off shoulder surgery at 35. At one point Bastardo seemed like the future, but he's both left-handed and a cheater. Does anyone think Brad Lincoln could be a sleeper saves candidate in that bullpen? Failed starting pitcher who was once a hot prospect, throws hard, moved over from the tough AL East. I'm running out to pick him up, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on him.
    Lincoln was good in 12 season but last year his walks killed him and Ks were down. He would need to be stashed away as it hard to say what you are going to get but he certainly wouldn't be on the radar at this point. Depending on how Adams pitches when he comes back like can he stay healthy I would think him or Bastardo would get first crack if the Phillies decide to look at another closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Both Nathan and Perkins also blew saves...does any safe closer actually HAVE a save so far?

And while Hawkins was very good last year, I would in no way qualify his work as "spectacular". And all saves were earned at the end of an 88 lose season with no pressure...
      I guess I overrated what I called his "late season," finishing with 8 SV and 14 scoreless IP on 7 h and 0 BB, lol. and he did have TWO games in Aug and Sept combined where he allowed a run or more, though that doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Admittedly, going from the warm bosom of the NY media landscape to the bright lights of Denver may overwhelm this 41-yr-old! The Rockies may lose not 88 but only 85 or even 82, so there's that.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Both Nathan and Perkins also blew saves...does any safe closer actually HAVE a save so far?
        Josh Fields???
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Yes, I will heed the sample size of his 2013 season, vs. the sample size of one inning in 2014, and hand him the reins tomorrow.
          He walked too many batters last year, too.But yes, he's still better than Hawkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            I guess I overrated what I called his "late season," finishing with 8 SV and 14 scoreless IP on 7 h and 0 BB, lol. and he did have TWO games in Aug and Sept combined where he allowed a run or more, though that doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Admittedly, going from the warm bosom of the NY media landscape to the bright lights of Denver may overwhelm this 41-yr-old! The Rockies may lose not 88 but only 85 or even 82, so there's that.
            Yes, you did overrate it...and really, is Citi Field in the doldrums of August and September any kind of pressure situation? Really?

And Stanton hit one about 600 feet just foul, or the Hawkins run might already be over. Skills not roles...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              With Papelbon's velocity slipping and the Phillies seemingly a non-contender I had hoped to pick up his probable replacement...until I couldn't find one. I know Adams is coming back fairly soon, but it's hard to trust a guy coming off shoulder surgery at 35. At one point Bastardo seemed like the future, but he's both left-handed and a cheater. Does anyone think Brad Lincoln could be a sleeper saves candidate in that bullpen? Failed starting pitcher who was once a hot prospect, throws hard, moved over from the tough AL East. I'm running out to pick him up, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on him.
              There's no clear cut path. Sandberg's staff could have a whole different pecking order than Manuel's did. I would think because of veteranosity Adams would get first shot if healthy, but the FO does seem to like Lincoln.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Kimbrell has 2!
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

We have no data on Frieri or Rodney because all three SEA-LAA games were blowouts.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Well, there is Coors Field and altititude. I am not sure you can just say media is less so it is easier to close for the Rockies than Mets. And, hmmm, I think being older than dirt is a negative, not a positive.

Comment

Old is a negative for a pitcher's closing chances, as are left-handedness and wildness. One strike against Hawkins, two against Brothers!

all kidding aside, Hawkins has been quite effective the last couple of years. I think Boone Logan's injury hurt Brothers' chances so far, because otherwise they'd have a second solid lefty to use in key spots in the 7th or 8th. If Logan comes back as scheduled this weekend, that would help Brothers' chances - even though he's wildly overrated by those who have had him cheap over the years. Both he and Hawkins were quite good last year, though.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Bottom of 9th in Pittsburgh and Cubs lead 3-2. Pedro Strop in the for Cubs. Is Veras already done?

Comment

funny, Rockies had a 2-out lead in the 8th at 5-4, with Belisle in.
                          with one more out, we likely would have seen Brothers (21 pitches last night) over Hawkins (35 pitches) for the SV opp. but Belisle then surrendered 4 runs to make it 8-5, Marlins.

That works, because I have Cishek, too

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Both pitched last night (when Veras blew the save). Not sure how many pitches each had but Twitter seems to think that this was a one-off for Strop and Veras is still the closer. I'd tend to agree, judging by the salaries if nothing else. I'm sure Veras will get more than a couple more chances.

(Of course, as a Strop owner, I wouldn't mind terrible if they turned over the reins to Pedro right now. )

Strop converted the save, btw.
                            Veras threw 38 pitches last night and was announced as unavailable today prior to the game.

Comment

Nate Jones has put 5 men on base and has yet to record an out. I assume that's why his ERA is still 0!
                              Last edited by cardboardbox; 04-03-2014, 04:18 PM.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

The stat only have numbers not infinity symbols so it has to be zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X