2 days into the season, 4 projected closers already down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by griswold View Post
    I was just trying to help a brotha out with this offer. Since you lost Reyes, I thought you could use a SS and I own Lindstrom....so I figured I would ask.

I wasn't trying to screw you over....I thought it was a fair deal....neither has proven shit in the majors....just trying to help.
    I didn't get that you wanted to do that. Jones today couldn't get anybody out. Perhaps he was pissed off at not getting the closer gig but I still think at some point he'll get a shot again. I also own Hechy in my NL league. He was one of the last SS available and the choice was between him and Crawford. I took him because he was younger, still could improve and there was this speed thing too. Realistically he doesn't have much upside. At this point neither one is heading to the Fantasy Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Hey Santos, it'd be a lot cooler if you stopped walking everyone. Thanks, bro.
      Manager showing real confidence there. He faced 1 hitter with a 3-run lead, walked him on a full count and gets yanked? ugh
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Wasn't a save situation and it looked like they were just playing R-R and L-L matchups.
        And they can't be happy with that sized lead and a walk. Groove a fastball and let him hit it out before you walk someone there.

Comment

latroy hawkins might be next...
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Tonight's performance gives me zero confidence in LaTroy Hawkins' ability to close out games. No way does this guy hold off Rex Brothers for long. No way.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

lucked out with a garrett jones popup. i agree, sheep.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

yes, Brothers only walked 2 batters in the 8th, with 8 of 21 pitches for strikes - hand him the reins!
                Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-02-2014, 09:46 PM.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

not that he's going to lose his job, but papelbon looked awful tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    yes, Brothers only walked 2 batters in the 8th, with 8 of 21 pitches for strikes - hand him the reins!
                    Yes, I will heed the sample size of his 2013 season, vs. the sample size of one inning in 2014, and hand him the reins tomorrow.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

And Papelbon goes BOOM!

Comment

And Jose Veras coughs up the save in Chicago. It's a closer massacre.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          Yes, I will heed the sample size of his 2013 season, vs. the sample size of one inning in 2014, and hand him the reins tomorrow.
                          I'm glad you're not the manager

Hawkins was spectacular late last season, btw, and closing
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

oakland fans, meet jim johnson... gives up 2 ER in 0.3 innings last night in a non-save situation, and blows the save tonight. unless the a's come back, 2 L, 1 BS in 2 nights.

Comment

With Papelbon's velocity slipping and the Phillies seemingly a non-contender I had hoped to pick up his probable replacement...until I couldn't find one. I know Adams is coming back fairly soon, but it's hard to trust a guy coming off shoulder surgery at 35. At one point Bastardo seemed like the future, but he's both left-handed and a cheater. Does anyone think Brad Lincoln could be a sleeper saves candidate in that bullpen? Failed starting pitcher who was once a hot prospect, throws hard, moved over from the tough AL East. I'm running out to pick him up, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on him.

Comment

Both Nathan and Perkins also blew saves...does any safe closer actually HAVE a save so far?

And while Hawkins was very good last year, I would in no way qualify his work as "spectacular". And all saves were earned at the end of an 88 lose season with no pressure...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X