Opening Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day

How can Major League Baseball advertise Monday as opening day when not only is there a game Sunday Night but last week they played the games in Australia? Doesn't the 4th day of the season have a nice ring to it?

You're trying to apply logic to MLB, which oftentimes is a losing battle.

I love how MLB was promoting the Ozzie Smith/Budweiser petition to have Opening Day named a national holiday, then they open the season in a foreign country.

Comment

I have no problem with having an "official" Opening Day which differs from the actual start of MLB action. And I like the idea of making it a national holiday, which makes sense if it's all screwed up. Christ was born in April. Easter, the holiest of all Christian holidays, is a pagan ceremony Estrus, but at least the time of year is accurate. All our President's birthdays get lumped onto one day, that only sometimes actually falls on one of their birthdays just by dumb luck.

And everyone always forgets my birthday.

National holidays make no sense anyway, so having Opening Day being a national holiday even though there are several games already in the books, works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
        I have no problem with having an "official" Opening Day which differs from the actual start of MLB action. And I like the idea of making it a national holiday, which makes sense if it's all screwed up. Christ was born in April. Easter, the holiest of all Christian holidays, is a pagan ceremony Estrus, but at least the time of year is accurate. All our President's birthdays get lumped onto one day, that only sometimes actually falls on one of their birthdays just by dumb luck.

And everyone always forgets my birthday.

National holidays make no sense anyway, so having Opening Day being a national holiday even though there are several games already in the books, works for me.
        The most logical argument for this that I've heard! BRAVO!
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Forget MLB opening day. I think everyone would rather have the Monday after the Super Bowl as a national holiday.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Dane!

Comment

Yeah, it sucks that MLB opened the season a week before in a foreign country and hardly anyone could watch the first game live, but of all the horrible things in the world to get your panties in a wad about, this ranks below Greedo shooting first.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                Forget MLB opening day. I think everyone would rather have the Monday after the Super Bowl as a national holiday.
                I've always felt this way. Given that Martin Luther King Day and President's Day is right around there, can't one of them move to that date? I certainly don't want to minimize Martin Luther King by lumping it in with the Super Bowl, but surely no Lincoln or Washington fans will be insulted if we just move that holiday there.

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                  Yeah, it sucks that MLB opened the season a week before in a foreign country and hardly anyone could watch the first game live, but of all the horrible things in the world to get your panties in a wad about, this ranks below Greedo shooting first.
                  Han shot first!
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                  X