No announcement yet.

Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver vs. Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get-in was down to $1,150 this morning, but now the long-range forecast for that day is improving so that could be rockbottom.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      $0. Football is better on TV.
      Agreed.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Whatever, dude.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          There is pretty much nothing that's "better on TV." Just reading that makes me shake my head.
          While I enjoy many live events, football isn't one of them.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The "whatever, dude" belongs in response to someone saying that they wouldn't even go watch the Superbowl. So, yeah. Whatever, dude.

I still can't really even come up with one thing that's better on TV than in real life. Doing stuff and going places > watching TV.

Edit: I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't understand. To each their own, I suppose.
            Not everybody likes being in loud crowds. And at home you never have to deal with any type of obnoxious people. To some that is a HUGE problem. This is one reason i love going to the Symphony. I never have to deal with obnoxious or loud people!

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Not everybody likes being in loud crowds. And at home you never have to deal with any type of obnoxious people. To some that is a HUGE problem. This is one reason i love going to the Symphony. I never have to deal with obnoxious or loud people!
              The point is a fair criticism of NFL games. The crowds have gotten more and more obnoxious and antagonistic. I can see where people have gotten put off by shelling out a lot of money for that when they have a cheaper option on their couch.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Indeed, that is a big reason why I prefer football on TV. Other factors are the weather, the expense, and that TV makes it easier to focus on where the ball is. I'm not paying $1000+ to sit outside in February for a game between two teams I don't care about, when I can watch the game with family and friends and load up on reasonably priced beer and junk food.

I've been around enough drunken raucousness for one lifetime. It was fun when I was younger, less so now.

The crowds have gotten more and more obnoxious and antagonistic.
                It's the opposite trend in Philly. The Vet was a really hostile place when the Eagles were playing, but a lot of the worst offenders were priced out when they moved to the Linc, and if anything there are now complaints that the crowd is not loud or intimidating enough.

Comment

But you two seriously wouldn't even go to a Superbowl in, say, San Diego for FREE?
                  I would have a hard time passing that up! I have always wanted to visit San Diego. Except i am not too keen on flying...

Comment

But you two seriously wouldn't even go to a Superbowl in, say, San Diego for FREE?
                    I said $0 in my initial response, and SD for free knocks out the weather and expense objections. So maybe. Still a lot of douchebags to deal with, though.

Comment

As it turns out I will be in SD in a few weeks -- but not for the Super Bowl, obviously.

Comment

I guess it depends on the definition of 'free'. Free tix are great but parking is something like $100, you can't walk, no taxis, no limos, shuttle bus is $50, airline + hotels with jacked rates because of the event. That would run into lots of cash. If I lived in NY and had to pay $50 to see the game I would probably go. But if I had to pay airline, hotel, shuttle, food to watch a game where I have no rooting interest I will pass. If free means all expenses covered I would be there, even in the cold.

Comment

There is pretty much nothing that's "better on TV." Just reading that makes me shake my head.
                          You need to come over my house: 73" TV, surround sound, dual recliners, Red Zone package, beer fridge an arm reach away (literally).

Comment

Well, you can crash on jewman's couch and I'm sure he'd be happy to hook you up with all the booze and food you can handle.....
                            Whoa, whoa, whoa, I only offered the couch. I did not say anything about booze and food. However, you will be entitled to as many pureed baby foods and dirty diapers as you can handle as part of the vacation package.

Comment

now high of 50 for Sunday afternoon - warmest day of the whole week.
                              low of 26, but we can handle that
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                now high of 50 for Sunday afternoon - warmest day of the whole week.
                                low of 26, but we can handle that
                                All this talk about the NY weather and this is what we get. Good thing it isn't in a good weather/dome site like Atlanta or Dallas this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X