No announcement yet.

2K24: Philadelphia Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phils land Jason Vargas from the Mets for catching prospect Austin Bossart.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Phils land Jason Vargas from the Mets for catching prospect Austin Bossart.
      That's a pretty liberal use of the term "prospect" revo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        That's a pretty liberal use of the term "prospect" revo
        I took their word for it! I see he did graduate from UPenn, so maybe he's a Doctoral prospect?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          I took their word for it! I see he did graduate from UPenn, so maybe he's a Doctoral prospect?
          yeah, Bossert might make a decent pitch calling backup catcher some day if everything breaks just right for him. This trade doesn't move the needle either way for me. What they got, Meh, what they gave Meh

I think the biggest impact might be on AA pitchers not getting to throw to him as they develop, not his potential MLB impact.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• the "prospect" went to college with Mets owner Jeff Wilpon's son, and no I am not kidding.

the much-maligned Vargas has a 102 ERA+ this season, after much better than that in his last 8 starts of last season.

how many teams have a 5th SP as good? the vaunted Yankees have ONE SP with a better ERA+ - German at 111, and his IP count is such that you can hear the ticking on the broadcast while he is pitching.

this deal was not as bad as the Stroman one was good, but it's ridiculous to trade in your division AND to a fellow WC contender if you think you have any shot.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• All fair points. However Vargas was a punk — just check his comments to the reporter after that Callaway comment/scandal. Time to go.

Comment

• I find it more ridiculous that the Mets are more willing to trade with their division competition and geographical rival than they are the Yankees. Shows how the Mets arent exactly business savvy.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  I find it more ridiculous that the Mets are more willing to trade with their division competition and geographical rival than they are the Yankees. Shows how the Mets arent exactly business savvy.
                  Do we know the Yankees were actually willing to give the Mets anything of value? Based on the fact that the Yankees need starting pitching and they did not make a trade, perhaps the Yankees wanted to trade nothing of value to acquire a starting pitcher. Despite what callers to WFAN would say, I doubt the Mets want to take one low-level prospect from the Yankees for Syndergaard.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    Do we know the Yankees were actually willing to give the Mets anything of value? Based on the fact that the Yankees need starting pitching and they did not make a trade, perhaps the Yankees wanted to trade nothing of value to acquire a starting pitcher. Despite what callers to WFAN would say, I doubt the Mets want to take one low-level prospect from the Yankees for Syndergaard.
                    This was more of a general thing than it was specific to this particular deadline. The Mets and the Yanks dont trade. However, apparently, the Mets and Phillies do. Seems stupid to me. You dont see it that way?
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      This was more of a general thing than it was specific to this particular deadline. The Mets and the Yanks dont trade. However, apparently, the Mets and Phillies do. Seems stupid to me. You dont see it that way?
                      I guess I don't know if it is a corporate policy or not. If the Yankees have ever made the best offer to the Mets and the Mets have turned it down to take a lesser offer, then I would agree that it is moronic. But I don't know that it is the case.

Comment

• Agreed. And somehow it’s the Mets’ fault, not the Yankees’ fault?

Takes two to tango. I’m guessing the Yankees just wouldn’t pay up - unlike the Astros, who added Greinke.

Comment

• any word on Jay Bruce and his return date?

Comment

• from nbcsports.com yesterday

"The offense could get a boost in San Francisco. Jay Bruce is expected to be activated from the injured list in the next day or two."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-together-fast

I'm in a weird spot. Bruce owner, but I also own CDickerson, and my UT is Beaty who is taking advantage of LAD injuries. so be careful, Jay.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              from nbcsports.com yesterday

"The offense could get a boost in San Francisco. Jay Bruce is expected to be activated from the injured list in the next day or two."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-together-fast

I'm in a weird spot. Bruce owner, but I also own CDickerson, and my UT is Beaty who is taking advantage of LAD injuries. so be careful, Jay.
                              my one team which is in a good fight for first needs the jay bruce hitting ... fingers crossed his return is powerful and immediate

Comment

• Philly fires hitting coach Mallee and installs Charlie Manual in the position
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X