Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2K19: Philadelphia Phillies

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Controller Jacobs's Avatar
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

I'd heard rumors about this for a while, but not lately. From Rotoworld--

"FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies are trying to trade Jonathan Papelbon.

Papelbon has two years and $26 million left on his contract that also contains a vesting option for a third year. He also had a career-low 8.3 K/9 ratio in 2013 and saw his velocity dip for the second straight season. It's possible the Phillies will be able to convince someone to take him off their hands, but they might have to eat some money in the process. Another issue is that Papelbon has a limited no-trade clause that allows him to stipulate 12 teams to which he will accept a trade."

If they trade Papelbon, who is the favorite for saves in Philly?
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

DQ: Mike Adams or Antonio Bastardo.

We astute Phillies fans wanted them to trade Papelbon LAST year, specifically to the Tigers, who might have overpaid. I don't think they will deal him in the offseason. Signing veterans instead of blowing up the team indicates they're not in the mood to deal their top players yet. Maybe in midseason if their first half is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    DQ: Mike Adams or Antonio Bastardo.

We astute Phillies fans wanted them to trade Papelbon LAST year, specifically to the Tigers, who might have overpaid. I don't think they will deal him in the offseason. Signing veterans instead of blowing up the team indicates they're not in the mood to deal their top players yet. Maybe in midseason if their first half is poor.
    Thanks. I thought about Adams, but for some reason Bastardo slipped my so-called mind. Or they could sign someone after trading Papelbon.

As for "Maybe in midseason if their first half is poor", didn't we hear that last year?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

You heard that from me and other observers, not the front office.

Triple-A
    Don't overlook Jake Dieckman when thinking about potential closers should Pap be dealt. He has all the pitches he needs, a quirky delivery designed to confuse hitters, and, as of the second half last year, pretty good control. His makeup is said to be perfect for the job, too. His only question is whether or not the control is corrected.
    Bearin' up!

and I like DeFratus to get it... hmm....
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Lets throw Jeremy Horst into the ring while we're at it. The team has no shortage of guys with heat who haven't put it together yet.

Philadelphia signs Chad Gaudin to a minor league contract with an invitation to major league spring training.

This isn't a bad move at all. If he pitches like he did last year, he can be valuable in a swingman role. I thought he could have done better than a minor league deal, though.

-- William James

There are tons of question marks at the back of the rotation and in the pen, so a low-risk deal for Gaudin makes perfect sense.