Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2K22: Atlanta Braves

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Controller Jacobs's Avatar
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Atlanta signs Mat Gamel to a minor league deal.

He'll back up Freddie Freeman at 1B and presumably Chris Johnson at 3B, and could be a good bat off the bench. While he hasn't hit at the major league level yet, his minor league numbers are good, particularly 2011 in AAA before he had two knee surgeries. He's 28 and not a prospect but could be a valuable reserve.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Braves signed Gavin Floyd to a 1 yr, $4m deal. He had TJ surgery and isn't expected back until May.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Braves signed Gavin Floyd to a 1 yr, $4m deal. He had TJ surgery and isn't expected back until May.
    Floyd's a very serviceable #4 starter when healthy. He'll probably assume the long relief role when he comes back, and perhaps join the rotation later if one of the youngsters falters. Then he can compete for a rotation spot in 2015, when he should be fully recovered from his TJ surgery.

This is a good signing IMO for a team with a good amount of young pitching talent.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Big Leaguer
    Evan Gattis - 500 ABs this year as starting catcher and occasional OF? Or 350 ABs as 4th outfielder/second catcher?

willthethrill
    Quote Originally Posted by james33 View Post
    Evan Gattis - 500 ABs this year as starting catcher and occasional OF? Or 350 ABs as 4th outfielder/second catcher?
    In other words, is he a good enough catcher to warrant 100 starts behind the dish?

Yes, the bat plays, but does the glove?

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Nice deal here for the Braves:

Rotoworld:
    Braves signed RHP Julio Teheran to a six-year, $32.4 million contract extension.
    The deal also includes a $12 million club option (with a $1 million buyout) for 2020. Teheran wasn't arbitration-eligible until after next season, so the Braves have bought out at least one and possibly two free agent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

He'll back up Freddie Freeman at 1B and presumably Chris Johnson at 3B, and could be a good bat off the bench. While he hasn't hit at the major league level yet, his minor league numbers are good, particularly 2011 in AAA before he had two knee surgeries. He's 28 and not a prospect but could be a valuable reserve.
    I missed this. Braves fans better hope Gamel doesn't play 3b. To say that he's a butcher at third is an insult to all butchers.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

They released him today after (surprise, surprise) he re-injured his knee.

The Braves are locking up a pretty solid core of good young players. Are they done? My softball buddy from Atlanta wants them to extend Medlen as well, but I'm not convinced he's earned it yet.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."