Baseball Reference Page
    mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Atlanta signs Mat Gamel to a minor league deal.

He'll back up Freddie Freeman at 1B and presumably Chris Johnson at 3B, and could be a good bat off the bench. While he hasn't hit at the major league level yet, his minor league numbers are good, particularly 2011 in AAA before he had two knee surgeries. He's 28 and not a prospect but could be a valuable reserve.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Braves signed Gavin Floyd to a 1 yr, $4m deal. He had TJ surgery and isn't expected back until May.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Braves signed Gavin Floyd to a 1 yr, $4m deal. He had TJ surgery and isn't expected back until May.
        Floyd's a very serviceable #4 starter when healthy. He'll probably assume the long relief role when he comes back, and perhaps join the rotation later if one of the youngsters falters. Then he can compete for a rotation spot in 2015, when he should be fully recovered from his TJ surgery.

This is a good signing IMO for a team with a good amount of young pitching talent.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Evan Gattis - 500 ABs this year as starting catcher and occasional OF? Or 350 ABs as 4th outfielder/second catcher?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
            Evan Gattis - 500 ABs this year as starting catcher and occasional OF? Or 350 ABs as 4th outfielder/second catcher?
            In other words, is he a good enough catcher to warrant 100 starts behind the dish?

Yes, the bat plays, but does the glove?

Comment

Nice deal here for the Braves:

Rotoworld:
              Braves signed RHP Julio Teheran to a six-year, $32.4 million contract extension.
              The deal also includes a $12 million club option (with a $1 million buyout) for 2020. Teheran wasn't arbitration-eligible until after next season, so the Braves have bought out at least one and possibly two free agent years.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

He'll back up Freddie Freeman at 1B and presumably Chris Johnson at 3B, and could be a good bat off the bench. While he hasn't hit at the major league level yet, his minor league numbers are good, particularly 2011 in AAA before he had two knee surgeries. He's 28 and not a prospect but could be a valuable reserve.
                I missed this. Braves fans better hope Gamel doesn't play 3b. To say that he's a butcher at third is an insult to all butchers.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

They released him today after (surprise, surprise) he re-injured his knee.

Comment

The Braves are locking up a pretty solid core of good young players. Are they done? My softball buddy from Atlanta wants them to extend Medlen as well, but I'm not convinced he's earned it yet.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

mlbdepthcharts lists Alex Wood as the #5 starter - is this accurate? Who is his competition? Is he considered 90% chance to be the 5th starter?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        mlbdepthcharts lists Alex Wood as the #5 starter - is this accurate? Who is his competition? Is he considered 90% chance to be the 5th starter?
                        It's a toss-up between him and Freddy Garcia. From what I've heard, Garcia is very much against becoming a reliever and the Braves are leaning toward using Wood out of the pen to start the season. Of course, if Medlen is done, things change.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          It's a toss-up between him and Freddy Garcia. From what I've heard, Garcia is very much against becoming a reliever and the Braves are leaning toward using Wood out of the pen to start the season. Of course, if Medlen is done, things change.
                          Whatever Garcia's desires, Wood is the better pitcher at this point. The Braves would be foolish to want Garcia to pitch more innings than Wood. The fanbase would be very upset with that move as well. Also, the coaches seem to love Wood's passion and competitiveness. I'm a Wood owner who has been reading as much as possible on this, and based on the love shown by fans and coaches for Wood as a starter, I'd be very surprised if Wood isn't a starter for most of this year. Gavin Floyd's eventual return does give me some pause, but I think/hope Wood will have performed well enough by then for it to be a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Whatever Garcia's desires, Wood is the better pitcher at this point. The Braves would be foolish to want Garcia to pitch more innings than Wood. The fanbase would be very upset with that move as well. Also, the coaches seem to love Wood's passion and competitiveness. I'm a Wood owner who has been reading as much as possible on this, and based on the love shown by fans and coaches for Wood as a starter, I'd be very surprised if Wood isn't a starter for most of this year. Gavin Floyd's eventual return does give me some pause, but I think/hope Wood will have performed well enough by then for it to be a non-issue.
                            Hey I totally agree as a Wood owner too - and yes, I'm keeping him at $5 in my NL regardless of his pre-season spot in or out of the rotation.

Comment

At least at the moment (with Medlen's heath a big question, Minor not expected to be ready for the first week or so, and Floyd out until May at the earliest), we can probably safely assume that both Wood and Garcia will begin the season in the rotation. As long as Wood pitches as well as we all expect him to pitch, he should hold onto the job. We'll see if Fredi Gonzalez does as he did with Teheran last year and not artificially place an innings limit on him this year (but rest him if it makes sense to do so).

Comment

Working...
                              X