2K24: Atlanta Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Braves have said Josh Donaldson is going to hit 2nd. Acuna will either be 1st or 4th. If JD can stay healthy that's a heck of a good lineup spot.
    Looking at the splits, Acuna looks destined to hit lead off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Looking at the splits, Acuna looks destined to hit lead off.
      Everything I've read and heard points to Acuna batting cleanup to start the year with Ender leading off. Like last year, when things go stale Acuna will likely go back to leadoff. I'd expect him to see at least a third of his time at leadoff even if he starts the year at cleanup.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
        Everything I've read and heard points to Acuna batting cleanup to start the year with Ender leading off. Like last year, when things go stale Acuna will likely go back to leadoff. I'd expect him to see at least a third of his time at leadoff even if he starts the year at cleanup.
        Hard to say. His improvement was also second half, and everything improved, there was a great FG article about it and why it was sustainable (basically, his swing was always great but in the second half he had adjusted to MLB pitching and stopped swinging at balls and started swinging at more strikes). I doubt it will be that much of a difference. It could easily be an Inciarte/Albies platoon at leadoff all year.

And Mike, what am I missing when I want Albies to give up switch-hitting? I know he is young, but the results---and just watching it---shows how much better his swing is right-handed. And, if I recall correctly, his minor-league stats had the same problem. Yes, if he gets low and in when batting lefty, he can drop the bathead on it and hit HR's, but once the league adjusted, he just had all kinds of problems because he can't hit a high fastball left-handed.

Comment

• Looks like the Braves are going into the season with Kyle Wright as the #4 starter, and Bryse Wilson as the #5...what are the chances that they stick in the rotation for the duration of the season? Folty has an elbow injury and isn't expected back until later in April...although he did throw off a mound recently.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Looks like the Braves are going into the season with Kyle Wright as the #4 starter, and Bryse Wilson as the #5...what are the chances that they stick in the rotation for the duration of the season? Folty has an elbow injury and isn't expected back until later in April...although he did throw off a mound recently.
            To be honest I would expect ups and downs. I pick Wilson as my last farm pick today for $1 so it would be nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Looks like the Braves are going into the season with Kyle Wright as the #4 starter, and Bryse Wilson as the #5...what are the chances that they stick in the rotation for the duration of the season? Folty has an elbow injury and isn't expected back until later in April...although he did throw off a mound recently.
              Assuming that none of the injuries are serious (which with pitchers, you just never know until they are definitely serious, but none seem to be so far), by June, the Braves will likely have the following possible or definitely major-league quality starting pitchers available to them: Mike Foltynewicz, Julio Teheran, Keven Gausman, Sean Newcomb, Wright, Wilson, Max Fried, Mike Soroka, Touki Toussaint, Luiz Gohara, Kolby Allard (iffy on if he is MLB quality as a starter), Patrick Weigel, Ian Anderson, Joey Wentz, and Kyle Muller. Only Teheran and Gausman are out of options. Those two, along with Folty, are the only ones likely to be guaranteed a rotation spot unless they are hopelessly bad or injured. Otherwise, I imagine that anyone looking good in the minors has a shot at a chance at any time. Wright threw 144 innings last year and was in college in 2017; he's probably capped at 165 or so. Wilson has thrown 130-140 innings both of the past two years and was in high school in 2016; he's probably got the same cap as Wright. Nobody's going to stick all year, but if they perform, they'll be around except for periods off to limit the innings, I would think. If they have two bad starts, they might be stuck in traffic on I-85 heading to Gwinnett.

Comment

• Acuna 8 year, $100m extension

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Acuna 8 year, $100m extension
                  Smart move by the Braves and Acuna. When that contact is up provided he is healthy and having a HOF career he will be in line for possible record breaking contract.

Comment

• Combination of news and rant.

Arodys Vizcaino is done for the year with shoulder surgery. With Kimbrel "getting closer to a decision" I would guess ATL is the spot. Weird that his agent also represents Albies (who just signed an incredibly team friendly deal). Probably a coincidence.

Oh, that's not the rant. The Braves said earlier in the week that Mike Soroka was "unlikely" to make a spot start.

So I benched him and put Corbin F'ing Burnes into my lineup.

Oh, guess who's starting today for the Braves? Here's a hint. Rhymes with Poroka.

Comment

• Braves option Mike Foltynewicz and his 6.37 ERA to AAA.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• bizarrely kept at 16-S1 in my league by the team that somehow is in last place
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          bizarrely kept at 16-S1 in my league by the team that somehow is in last place
                          He had a 2.85 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 202 Ks last year. He did have a late spring elbow injury, which is never good, but even he was downplaying it as late as mid-March. I guess there was some risk to keeping him, but based off his stats and news on his injury at keeper time, seems legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            He had a 2.85 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 202 Ks last year. He did have a late spring elbow injury, which is never good, but even he was downplaying it as late as mid-March. I guess there was some risk to keeping him, but based off his stats and news on his injury at keeper time, seems legit.
                            yeah, he was a top 15 starter last year. $16 seems reasonable, particularly if there is significant inflation.
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• yeah, there was.

I'm just ruthless with injured pitchers - especially elbows and shoulders. if you believe THAT much, then buying at, say, 19-S2 beats keeping at 16-S1, imo
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Wow, Braves released Luiz Gohara today.

Comment

Working...
                                X