No announcement yet.

2K24: Atlanta Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tucker Davidson will make his major league debut as the starting pitcher against the Red Sox on Saturday.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ozuna almost had a triple crown season, leading the NL in HR (18) and RBI (56) and placing 3rd in BA (.338). His line was .338/.431/.636. Great season and has to be considered a leading candidate for NL MVP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Acuna 8 year, $100m extension
        Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        Smart move by the Braves and Acuna. When that contact is up provided he is healthy and having a HOF career he will be in line for possible record breaking contract.
        This didn’t hold up well, as that was a TERRIBLE deal for Acuna. If he’s still productive, the Braves exercise his age 29 and 30 option years at $17M per season, instead of paying him the $10M buyouts. He won’t be a free agent until age 31 (and might get a decent deal, but certainly not a record-breaking one) and will be underpaid, as compared to his production, during his entire contract. Great deal for the Braves...but I feel bad for Acuna.

The teams have financial experts at their disposal, and often structure these ultra long-term deals in ways that greatly benefit them.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
          This didn’t hold up well, as that was a TERRIBLE deal for Acuna. If he’s still productive, the Braves exercise his age 29 and 30 option years at $17M per season, instead of paying him the $10M buyouts. He won’t be a free agent until age 31 (and might get a decent deal, but certainly not a record-breaking one) and will be underpaid, as compared to his production, during his entire contract. Great deal for the Braves...but I feel bad for Acuna.

The teams have financial experts at their disposal, and often structure these ultra long-term deals in ways that greatly benefit them.
          Very true...I argued with people that the Albies deal was especially egregious, but I was met with deafening silence or arguments that he was now set for life. It can be true that they're set, but it doesn't mean that your not right, and they WERE terrible deals for the players.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Very true...I argued with people that the Albies deal was especially egregious, but I was met with deafening silence or arguments that he was now set for life. It can be true that they're set, but it doesn't mean that your not right, and they WERE terrible deals for the players.
            Yeah, both of these deals were terrible. I thought they were both poor decisions by the players at the time. Although, for Albies, at the time, he didn't have the sky high projections that Acuna did. IDK, maybe he feared he would fizzle out as many have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Yeah, both of these deals were terrible. I thought they were both poor decisions by the players at the time. Although, for Albies, at the time, he didn't have the sky high projections that Acuna did. IDK, maybe he feared he would fizzle out as many have.
              My guess is that some of the players from Latin America may have family members with immediate needs for adequate housing, medical care, etc. And this is their chance to make a difference in the lives of their family right now instead of waiting.
              Last edited by madducks; 02-18-2021, 10:16 AM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                My guess is that some of the players from Latin America may have family members with immediate needs for adequate housing, medical care, etc. And this is their chance to make a difference in the lives of their family right now instead of waiting.
                Sure, that is my assumption too. As per the Padres thread and my applauding the Tatis deal for all involved, my issue is not in leaving some money on the table to get access to millions early, it is in how much is left on the table. I think the Tatis deal is really fair for both parties. Even at the time, the Acuna and Albies deals were not. I feel a better agent could have gotten more, or maybe it is the team. IDK.

Comment

• In more roto-oriented news... the Braves' beat writer was on the Fantasy Baseball in 15 podcast this morning and predicted that Freeman would probably go back to hitting 3rd now that there's no more DH - Freddie doesn't want to lose his RBI opportunities. Which would probably be good news for Albies or Swanson, assuming they go Acuna, Albies/Swanson, Freeman, Ozuna, TDA, Swanson/Albies, Riley, Pache.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    In more roto-oriented news... the Braves' beat writer was on the Fantasy Baseball in 15 podcast this morning and predicted that Freeman would probably go back to hitting 3rd now that there's no more DH - Freddie doesn't want to lose his RBI opportunities. Which would probably be good news for Albies or Swanson, assuming they go Acuna, Albies/Swanson, Freeman, Ozuna, TDA, Swanson/Albies, Riley, Pache.
                    That's pretty much certainly the lineup for a month or so, then, of course, things can change.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post

Oh, the Acuna deal was great for the Braves, and I thought everyone knew that. I might not have been around here when it happened, but yeah, a clear win for the Braves. But it looked good compared to the almost criminal Albies deal, which, by all accounts, was instigated by Albies. Tatis did have the huge advantage of a father who made over $17 million in his MLB career, which avoided any pressure to set his family for life.

Comment

• How many more days will it take for the Braves to trade Inciarte? How good would this guy fit in Houston....

I dont think that ownership group is going to be happy with a guy collecting 8M this year to be a pinch runner and a defensive replacement. Something's gotta happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          How many more days will it take for the Braves to trade Inciarte? How good would this guy fit in Houston....

I dont think that ownership group is going to be happy with a guy collecting 8M this year to be a pinch runner and a defensive replacement. Something's gotta happen.
                          They have to find someone willing to take on some of the salary. Once that happens, he's gone for more or less nothing.

Comment

• Nick Markakis has retired at age 37.

He batted .288/.357/.423 with 2,388 hits, 189 home runs and 1,046 RBI over 15 seasons for the Orioles and Braves. He won three Gold Gloves and made one All-Star team.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Professional hitter. Somewhat appropriate he bows out with Howie Kendrick, another professional hitter. Good careers for both.

Comment

• Mike Soroka had a setback and is being shut down from throwing for at least the next two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X