mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted

prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

here's an interesting factoid: # of Astros on the 40-man roster in their 30's - 1 (one) - a MR named Raul Valdes.

All 5 SP's are between 23 & 25.
    Only 1 guy of the starting 9 is over 26 - Brett Wallace (DH) at 27.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

The Astros seem to be running their team like someone taking over a disastrous franchise in a fantasy baseball dynasty league. No chance of competing for a few years, so go young, really young, as Greg points out. Might as well finish last or close to last in order to get better picks - why waste money now on even pretending to be halfway decent? 62-100 ultimately better than 77-85.

The problem I could see with this approach is that it could (has already?) alienated some of the fan base, aka the revenue stream. And this might give the Astros less to spend when they do get better.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
        The Astros seem to be running their team like someone taking over a disastrous franchise in a fantasy baseball dynasty league. No chance of competing for a few years, so go young, really young, as Greg points out. Might as well finish last or close to last in order to get better picks - why waste money now on even pretending to be halfway decent? 62-100 ultimately better than 77-85.

The problem I could see with this approach is that it could (has already?) alienated some of the fan base, aka the revenue stream. And this might give the Astros less to spend when they do get better.
        It seems that the bulk of the revenue stream these days is TV revenue, so may be less of a concern. At the same time getting fans excited about young fresh talent that will stay with the team & help build the team identity can be a good thing.

As a fan in a city that has been built largely off of free agents & trades I'm kind of envious actually.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

There's a good chance that by 2016, the Astros have a much better setup than the A's, Mariners and Angels.

The A's have done very well with FAs recently, but they're still limited by budget and a lot of those value players are gone i n2015 and 2016.
          The Mariners were totally dependent on Felix & Iwakuma in 2013. Iwakuma is a FA in 2016, and they don't seem to be developing an offense.
          The Angels will be paying $98M for four players in 2016, $58 M for two (Pujols and Hamilton) in 2017, they'll both be past 35 by then. Can they both pull off a David Ortiz?
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

well now they have two 27-year-olds with Fowler aboard; not sure who is the likley candidate to fill the rotation spot.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              It seems that the bulk of the revenue stream these days is TV revenue, so may be less of a concern. At the same time getting fans excited about young fresh talent that will stay with the team & help build the team identity can be a good thing.

As a fan in a city that has been built largely off of free agents & trades I'm kind of envious actually.
              Like you, I'd be the type of fan that would appreciate this approach, but I'm not sure we represent the majority.

Totally agree that TV revenue is important, but I can't help but wonder that TV ratings must be down, which ultimately means less revenue in the next TV contract (and pretty sure the Astros or Astros' owner at least partially own the TV channel that broadcasts the game, so it might mean less money in their pocket right now, with lower advertising revenue).

In any event, today's trade, acquiring an exciting young player, would seem to be a move in the right direction for rebuilding the fan (revenue) base.

Comment

O'Dowd may have been able to get more from the Astros had he not barfed on Fowler in his interviews.

As for the Astros, no one knows if their plan will work, and we won't know for several years, but I have to give them credit for having a plan and having the guts to pursue it all the way. They're willing to be really bad in order to stand a better chance of becoming really good.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Houston signs Scott Feldman, reportedly for 3 years, $30 million.

Feldman hits a jackpot. Houston gets a productive veteran SP for a comparatively decent price. While Feldman had an uninspiring 6.5 K/9 last year, he also had a 1.18 WHIP and 2.36 K/BB. IMO this was a nice under-the-radar signing, if they get the 2009 or 2013 Feldman. If he pitches like he did in 2008-10-12, ugh.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

I can only assume the MLBPA was starting to whisper sweet nothings (pun absolutely intended) into the Astros' ears.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      I can only assume the MLBPA was starting to whisper sweet nothings (pun absolutely intended) into the Astros' ears.
                      Do they whisper the same things to the Marlins? Does it do any good?

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        Do they whisper the same things to the Marlins? Does it do any good?
                        They just splurged on Furcal and GFJ, so I think the answers are yes and yes. Though your definition of "good" may vary.

Comment

Not crazy about this signing. Skills are very stable, but Feldman has had a tough time holding up over back to back seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Not crazy about this signing. Skills are very stable, but Feldman has had a tough time holding up over back to back seasons.
                            He's had only one injury-plagued season (2011). The big question is the results, where he's been spotty. However, if Houston gets two decent years out of the three, they'll probably be happy, and/or he could be a decent trading chip in years 2 and 3.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                              Houston signs Scott Feldman, reportedly for 3 years, $30 million.

Feldman hits a jackpot. Houston gets a productive veteran SP for a comparatively decent price. While Feldman had an uninspiring 6.5 K/9 last year, he also had a 1.18 WHIP and 2.36 K/BB. IMO this was a nice under-the-radar signing, if they get the 2009 or 2013 Feldman. If he pitches like he did in 2008-10-12, ugh.
                              Haha. 'productive' and 'decent price'....uhm,, NO.

Comment

Working...
                              X