mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Jim Johnson acquired, presumably to be the closer, in exchange for Jemile Weeks, helping clarify the mess at 2B a little bit.

Johnson was projected to get 10mil in arbitration.... not sure I see the A's paying that so maybe they work out a multi-year deal?

A's also spent 22mil on 2 years of Scott Kazmir. Look who's suddenly not poor?!?!

Comment

Drew Pomeranz, acquired from the Rockies. Talk about going from the frying pan to the front row. He looks to get a real shot at the rotation, but none of the projections reflect that. Oliver only projects him

2014 127.0 IP, 8.19 K/9, 4.10 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, .294 BBA, 3.89 ERA, 3.91 FIP

In a pitcher's haven like Oakland, I think those numbers are a bit pessimistic.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        Drew Pomeranz, acquired from the Rockies. Talk about going from the frying pan to the front row. He looks to get a real shot at the rotation, but none of the projections reflect that. Oliver only projects him

2014 127.0 IP, 8.19 K/9, 4.10 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, .294 BBA, 3.89 ERA, 3.91 FIP

In a pitcher's haven like Oakland, I think those numbers are a bit pessimistic.

J
        I don't see why he'd get a shot at the rotation, the A's are well set there with young arms. Frankly, if he gets 100 IP, it's because someone got hurt...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

What is Billy Beane's fascination with Daric Barton? I admit I liked the guy about 6 or 7 years ago, but after years of non-production, I gave up. Y'know, some guys who walk all time, well, that's pretty much all they do. Barton has no power or speed, so his OBP skills do pretty much one thing -- potentially move over someone else who may be on base. Or make for an easy DP for the opponent. With Barton now being named the 1B vs. RHPs, he's pretty much squeezed playing time from Gentry and Norris. I don't get it.

Comment

Stephen Vogt has been en fuego. Is he now the every day 1B?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Stephen Vogt has been en fuego. Is he now the every day 1B?
              It'll be interesting to see how the playing time plays out once Reddick comes back. Lately Vogt has filled in at 1B/C/DH/RF/LF depending on who needs a day off and such but he's played so well that it'll probably be guys like Jaso and Reddick who take the backseat more often than Vogt.

On a side note, the dude is from my hometown and my dad coached him on all-star teams back in little league. Great guy!

Comment

Billy Burns recalled, presumably to take Coco Crisp's place while he's out.

Comment

Anyone have a good explanation why they kept Jesse Chavez in the rotation and sent Pomeranz to the minors? I thought Pomeranz had established himself as the better pitcher prior to his stupid hand injury and the Shark/Hammell acquisitions.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                    Anyone have a good explanation why they kept Jesse Chavez in the rotation and sent Pomeranz to the minors? I thought Pomeranz had established himself as the better pitcher prior to his stupid hand injury and the Shark/Hammell acquisitions.
                    Chavez is out of options, while Pomeranz is not.

Comment

And Milone had been pitching better than either one of those guys...nice problem to have.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Ah, thanks. But still, for a team in the lead of an increasingly-tight playoff race, is this really the right decision to make?

Comment

I would imagine Chavez goes to the pen at some point in favor of one of those two. They'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post

and as a lesson for the "Stupid" part...
                            He was also starting to show signs of tiring, he was likely going to have an innings limit anyway (112 IP last year between the majors and minors). His starts after he came back: 4 innings 1 run, 4 innings 5 runs, 6 innings 1 run and then Sunday 8 innings 2 runs. I look for him to be back soon....
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I read that Beane pulled the trigger on the Russell-Samardzjia deal because the Cubs threw in Jason Hammel. That's gotta sting a little bit. Hammel blows.

Comment

Working...
                              X