Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: 2K20: Los Angeles Angels

"And he is the one to be singled out for his contract?"

has there ever been an inner-circle Hall of Famer who sucked so badly for so many years on the tail end of his career?

Brooks Robinson was laughably bad in his last 3 years - but in "only" 823 PA. Pujols seems to take the cake.

I'm the one who brought up the fact that Pujols at least seems to be a philanthropist - and that matters, a lot.

the oddity is why the Angels keep rolling his carcass out there.

he is the very definition of "sunk cost."

if they don't have anyone in the minors who is liable to be better, than bring in new management - because it's not hard to do.

"And the next 2 years as he gets his 20 hr a year and breaks 700 hrs, he will be still earning his pay as people will want to witness the nostalgia goodbye tour."

is there anyone on Earth who was paying attention to this chase of Willie Mays' 660? if so, I am not aware of it - and I follow baseball pretty closely. did anyone here create a post on it?

and why would anyone want to "witness the nostalgia goodbye tour" of Pujols?

I doubt anyone will. wishing him godspeed and saluting his character are all well and good, but explain to me why anyone will pay attention to him pathetically trying to get to a never-discussed 700-homer mark in the next two years while dancing on the replacement-level line on a good day.
    entering 37th yr in 12-team NL 5x5 - in 2021, after a year off
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 No-Transactions/No-Bench Parallel Universe roster
    * - COVID/IL/demoted
    hoping to snag a mid-pack finish
    SP - Scherzer, Hendricks, PLopez, Cueto, CSmith, Samardjiza* [Leake*]
    RP - Neris, Knebel, Stanek
    INF - C Molina, C Wolters, 1B Rizzo, 3B ESuarez, CI Longoria, 2B Albies, SS DeJong, MI Kendrick*, UT BCrawford
    OF - Polanco, Eaton*, Dyson, Fowler, Naylor, UT Duvall

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    is there anyone on Earth who was paying attention to this chase of Willie Mays' 660? if so, I am not aware of it - and I follow baseball pretty closely.
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/a...home-run-list/

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    Brooks Robinson was laughably bad in his last 3 years - but in "only" 823 PA. Pujols seems to take the cake.
    Actually that's a great example - Robinson was below par across his last 6 years with just 1 year, '74, being above average. Across his last 2676 PA he had an 85 OPS+. If you go back that far for Pujols it is well above 85 (94 for his last 5 years with a 113 in 2015).

So in reality, Robinson takes the cake.

But comparing eras, where the economics are very different, isn't really productive anyway. Miguel Cabrera is putting up very similar numbers to Pujols at this point, so there's your real comp.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Miggy contract is worse than Pujols. Certainly Chris Davis contract worse, as no one is booing Pujols when he comes to bat. But C Davis is a pariah.

Pujols rumor is he was at least a couple years older than stated age. Why does that matter? Well, instead of ending up top 3 in hr, maybe he would have been top hr hitter of all time. In any case, how do you value good will of Pujols getting cheered, and C Davis getting booed? Or of Pujols jersey sales I would think are among top sales on any player even today. Just measure value differently. Maybe 700 hr level will be worth something in fan love, I mean they awarded him a 10 yr 10 mill a year personal services contract after he stops swinging bat because he is so loved they want him to hang around. Jo Adell and B Marsh will be great hitters in next year or 2, but today, Pujols is not taking a space from someone better.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Jared Walsh is going to give the Angels a lot to think about this winter when they look at the big contracts of Pujols & Upton.

Albert Pujols with a two home run game on Friday moves into sole possession of 5th place on the all-time career list.

1. Barry Bonds - 762
    2. Hank Aaron -755
    3. Babe Ruth - 714
    4. Alex Rodriguez - 696
    5. Albert Pujols - 662
    6. Willie Mays - 660

Andrelton Simmons has opted out of the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    Albert Pujols with a two home run game on Friday moves into sole possession of 5th place on the all-time career list.

1. Barry Bonds - 762
    2. Hank Aaron -755
    3. Babe Ruth - 714
    4. Alex Rodriguez - 696
    5. Albert Pujols - 662
    6. Willie Mays - 660
    Stop doing that - no one on earth is supposed to pay attention to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Stop doing that - no one on earth is supposed to pay attention to that.

Triple-A
    Probably a little too late, but the Angels have had a very good Sept (14-7). If Astros lose tomorrow, then the Angels will be 2 games back with 3 to play. Hou is 8-20 on the road this year, so you never know. Would there be tie breaker games this year? Not sure how much MLB has changed with the added playoff structure.