Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2K20: Los Angeles Angels

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    "Come Flail Away" would make a good Styx song parody with guys like Pujols, Miggy, and Chris Davis starring in the music video.

Triple-A
    Why are you blaming AP for his contract? It was the fault of the idiot Angels owner Moreno to offer him that 10 year contract. I think most of us on this board could have made better decisions than Moreno and Eppler / Dioto / Reagins.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    "Let me ask you one question

Is your money that good"
    $30 million next year. Of course it's that good. Walking away from that is madness.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

he has made $314 million in his career just on salary alone, plus he has endorsements.

none of his family members cashing in on the end game will be born before he dies - so why bother?

my consolation is that he seems to be a decent person who puts a lot more money into charities than on hookers and blow.

but to be that great for so long - the perfect player - and then just show up for years after as a has-been grabbing a paycheck like he's a 1960s band member on a nostalgia tour...

me, I'd rather be Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, or Ted Williams. no one ever saw them suck.

as they say in comedy, always leave the stage with the audience wanting more.

Pujols? he's already 4 to 6 years too late.
    entering 37th yr in 12-team NL 5x5 - in 2021, after a year off
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 No-Transactions/No-Bench Parallel Universe roster
    * - COVID/IL/demoted
    hoping to snag a mid-pack finish
    SP - Scherzer, Hendricks, PLopez, Cueto, CSmith, Samardjiza* [Leake*]
    RP - Neris, Knebel, Stanek
    INF - C Molina, C Wolters, 1B Rizzo, 3B ESuarez, CI Longoria, 2B Albies, SS DeJong, MI Kendrick*, UT BCrawford
    OF - Polanco, Eaton*, Dyson, Fowler, Naylor, UT Duvall

he has made $314 million in his career just on salary alone, plus he has endorsements.

none of his family members cashing in on the end game will be born before he dies - so why bother?

my consolation is that he seems to be a decent person who puts a lot more money into charities than on hookers and blow.

but to be that great for so long - the perfect player - and then just show up for years after as a has-been grabbing a paycheck like he's a 1960s band member on a nostalgia tour...

me, I'd rather be Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, or Ted Williams. no one ever saw them suck.

It was awfully dumb for anyone to give a guy on the way down from his prime a 10 year contract that takes him well past the time when most should be out of the game. But I ain't casting any stones at anyone who plays out their contract for a game he loves for the princely sum of $30 million. That is the collectively bargained reality of baseball--young players often get wildly underpaid (as Pujols was) and older players often get wildly overpaid (as Pujols is).

Of course, it is nice that he uses his vast wealth to do some good. I hope that for everyone in the ultra-wealthy category he is in, whether they are fully earning their salary or not.

Here is how much Albert Pujols made his first three years in baseball--1.7 million total, for all three years. He hit 114 homers those first three years, with an OPS+ of 157, 151, and 187. Any guilt he feels about not being worth the money he is making now should be assuaged by the fact that he was paid pennies on the dollar for his early years of epic dominance. It is not his fault that one team benefited from system that and one team is being hurt by that system.

Hall of Famer
    There is no fault about the contract. EVERYONE knew this day would come. It is now here. Pay the money, take the money. Finish the contract. Let the chips fall where they may.

Lessons to be learned? Maybe, maybe not.

He has a few weeks and all of next year (whatever that looks like) to hit 37 more home runs. Will he do it, probably not. I for one hope he does.

Here's where we differ - if I were a player of any caliber, I'd not give a rip what other people think. They'd have to practically rip the uniform off me and change the locks on the doors to get me out. Six years too late? Too freaking bad.

Add in an additional $30 million, and that's an easy decision.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    It is particularly inappropriate to pick on Pujols, who was so underpaid his early years when he was so dominant, but paid like a scrub. The contract at the time it was signed, was with understanding from everyone that he would be in decline at the end but that he had earned it. And the next 2 years as he gets his 20 hr a year and breaks 700 hrs, he will be still earning his pay as people will want to witness the nostalgia goodbye tour. Pujols is one of the good guys, btw, who goes back to DR every year and contributes to youth baseball, funds the build out of ballfields, has his own foundation that helps downs syndrome kids, and gives to various charities while being a stable family man married 20 years. Its not like he was voted to be president or anything so his privacy shouldnt be under this level of scrutiny, but he has zero red flags of associate with prostitutes, or affairs, drug use, or even making a scene in a movie theater or whatever. Just a real good solid citizen commited to being best he can be and helping community. And he is the one to be singled out for his contract?

I wonder what % of people who complain about a contract like Pujols also have a mortgage and pay 3x the actual value of their own house over 30 years. I guess it's not a surprise that the world is full of hypocrites.